Assignment 8: Project Proposal
Compose a formal proposal for your research project in which you explain to your readers the project you plan to write and why it matters.
Research question: What problems do young people today face compared to older generations?
Your proposal should explain the following:
- Address how your project is timely: why are you asking this question now? (This is about exigency or kairos!).
- Your own interest in this topic: what investment or interest do you personally have in this?
- What is at stake or what matters in your examination of this question and for whom? How? Why?
- Moreover, what is the bigger purpose of your project? What do you want your readers to feel, think, or do after reading your completed project?
- What central research question does your project hope to address, and how is that question relevant given the existing research and existing ideas you’ve found in your research thus far?
- How does your question intersect with as well as differ from the research others have done on this before you? Be specific. Cite sources if it’s helpful. The key to this discussion is how your project hopes to contribute to the development of our collective understanding; that is, how will your project build on, rather than merely reproduce or summarize, the existing research and knowledge of your sources?
- What is your plan moving forward with your research project?
- What steps do you need to complete to successfully meet the course goals? (Be sure to review these!).
- How, specifically, do you imagine you will go about using your research to develop your thinking on your central research question? This is a question about methodology: will you be focusing on a particular concept or theory from a particular author? A particular part of the problem, or a particular set of perspectives? Write about this in a way that will help you start organizing your outline.
Reminder: your critical inquiry research project is about investigation and questioning rather than making an argument. You don’t need to delve into this quite yet in your proposal, but this should inform how you are writing about your research/plan in your proposal.
This is a formal text, and should be developed with explanation, detail, examples, and clarity. Your proposal should be more than one page, but no more than three to receive credit. You need to start thinking through this both thoughtfully as well as concisely.
What problems do young people today face compared to older generations?
This proposal will discuss about the problems which are being faced by the young people of the present times in comparison to the older people. In the present times, researches as well as studies have shown that the young people of the present generation have evolved in a significant manner from the previous generations (Greater Good). Thus, the opportunities as well as the problems faced by them are significantly different from the ones faced by their previous generations when they were of the same age (Fry et al.). Furthermore, the digitalization of the present world have opened up new gateways for the individuals which were unheard of in the earlier times thereby bringing with them opportunities as well as problems that were nor faced by the individuals of the earlier generations (Osotimehin). Thus, it becomes very important to analyze the problems faced by the youths of the present times in comparison to the ones of the earlier times. This topic is of paramount interest to me since I myself belong to the present generation of youths and would like to find out the ways in which our present day youths are different from the prior generations. Thus, the primary focus of this proposal will be on the ways in which the present generation of youths are different from the earlier ones and the also the factors that have given rise to these differences. The bigger picture which I want the readers to show is the manner in which the social, economical, technological, cultural, political and other kinds of developments of the world have affected the youths of the present times and also their development processes.
The central research question which this research will seek to discuss as well as shed light on is the manner in which the problems faced by the youths of the present times are different and more serious in nature in comparison to the problems faced by the youths in the generations prior to them. The research at the same time will try to show the fact that these differences are the outcome of the advancements in the fields of cultural, technological, political, economical and other landscapes which have significantly affected not only the youths but the entire world in general. It is significant to note that in the recent times many researchers as well as studies have tried to explore the same questions and have shown that the problems faced by the youths of the present are far more different and at the same time more appealing than the problems faced by the youths of the earlier generations. I would like to say at this particular juncture that my research would be different from the other research works conducted in the same field since the other research works have just tried to show the differences in the nature of the problems faced by the youths of the different whereas my research work will also focus on the factors which have lead to these differences.
This research will depend on primarily on the secondary sources and on the various surveys conducted by researchers like Jean Twenge in her famous work “iGen:Why Today’s Super-Connected Kids Are Growing Up Less Rebellious, More Tolerant, Less Happy—and Completely Unprepared for Adulthood—and What That Means for the Rest of Us”. The research will also take the help of surveys as well as questions for the collection of data which would help to arrive at the necessary results. It is with this particular objective that I would interview the youths of the present generation and also would take the help of surveys to derive the information which would be helpful for the research. I would like to comment in this particular context that the life history theory would also be helpful for me in a significant manner since it would help me to derive the problems faced by the youths of the present times in a much more effective manner. This particular is likely to help me to form the basic outline of the research work which I am seeking to undertake.
Fry, Richard et al. "How Millennials Today Compare With Their Grandparents 50 Years Ago." Pew Research Center. N.p., 2018. Web. 25 June 2018.
How Teens Today Are Different From Past Generations. Greater Good. N.p., 2018. Web. 25 June 2018.
Osotimehin, Babatunde. "Young People Have The Power To Change The World." The Atlantic. N.p., 2018. Web. 25 June 2018.