Write a Compare or Contrast essay on Compare or Contrast.
Motivation is considered as one of the important factor in the workplace. It can be seen that if employees in the workplace are not motivated then it can affect the growth of the company in the competitive market.
In this paper, the focus will be given on the thesis statement related to “motivation” and comparison will be made between the different theories of motivation. There are different theories of motivation which is necessary for the company to consider it can be possible to achieve growth and success in the competitive market.
Maslow theory of needs
Major point – Maslow theory
There are various theories of motivation. One of the theories is related to Maslow theory of motivation. It is the theory in which the needs of the employees are taken into consideration so that employees can complete the activities with dedication and efficiency. In this there are 5 stages.
1.) First is related to physiological needs in which the focus is given on biological requirements for human survival. Like clothing, shelter and proper sleep is necessary for the employees. If management does not focus on these needs then it can affect the overall productivity level of the employees.
2.) Safety needs is the next need which should be taken into consideration. In the focus is given on protection from the elements, security of the job and also stability is one of the important factor which is important to be considered (Leary & Baumeister, 2017).
3.) Love and belongingness needs are also the factor on which focus is given after physiological and safety needs. In this the focus is given on the third level of human needs which focus on the feelings of belongings’. It considers the examples like trust and friendship. The next factor is related to esteem needs in which the focus is given on maintaining the respect and reputation of the employees in the workplace. The last needs focuses on self-actualization needs in which it can be seen that focus is given on considering the personal potential and also personal growth (Stoyanov, 2017).
So, it can be stated that Maslow theory of needs is important for the management to consider so that it can be easy to maximize the overall satisfaction level of the employees in the workplace.
Two factor Herzberg theory
Major point – Two factor Herzberg theory
This theory can be compared with the theory related to Maslow theory but it is different from the other concepts. This theory is different from Maslow as in this the focus is given on satisfaction and dissatisfaction factors.
- In this theory the focus is given on the aspects that affect the motivation and it can be considered in many ways. One of the factors is related to hygiene factor. In this factors focuses on the absence which motivated but the presence does not have any effect.
- This can be stated by the example in which it can be seen that focus is given on decent working conditions and also on the policies of the organization (Miner, 2015).
- The next factor is related to motivators which motivates others. In this it can be stated that their absence does not cause any dissatisfaction but it is not possible to motivate others (Herzberg, 2017).
So, it can be stated that hygiene factors determine dissatisfaction and motivators factor determine satisfaction.
Alderfer’s ERG theory
Major point - Alderfer’s ERG theory
It can be stated that this theory is sort of similar with the Maslow theory. But it can be more rational if comparison is made with the Maslow hierarchy of needs theory.
- It can be stated that in this theory there are three categories. First is related to growth needs in which the focus is given on development of competence and it also realizes the potential. This helps to enhance the overall skills of the employees in the workplace (Pinder, 2014).
- The next factor is related to relatedness needs in which the focus is given on enhancing the satisfaction which can lead to maintenance of the relations.
- Also, in this the last factor is related to existence needs in which the focus is given on physical beings. In this theory the focus is given on satisfying the higher needs so that they can become more intense (Lepper & Greene, 2015).
So, this theory helps to manage the activities of the company. In this it can be stated that everyone is not motivated by the same things.
So, it can be concluded that these theories are related to motivation which should be considered by the management so that it can be easy to accomplish the goals and objectives. If these theories are considered than it can also help the employees to give their bets towards the assigned activities. So, in the workplace it is necessary to motivate the employees by considering these theories by the top management as it can help to grow in the competitive market.
Herzberg, F. (2017). Motivation to work. Routledge.
Leary, M. R., & Baumeister, R. F. (2017). The need to belong: Desire for interpersonal attachments as a fundamental human motivation. In Interpersonal Development (pp. 57-89). Routledge.
Lepper, M. R., & Greene, D. (Eds.). (2015). The hidden costs of reward: New perspectives on the psychology of human motivation. Psychology Press.
Miner, J. B. (2015). Organizational behavior 1: Essential theories of motivation and leadership. Routledge.
Pinder, C. C. (2014). Work motivation in organizational behavior. Psychology Press.
Stoyanov, S. (2017). A theory of human motivation. Macat Library.