1. What is the discounted cash flow concept, and why is it essential for financial managers to understand and employ this important concept?
2. What are the methods associated with evaluating single or periodic payments, and what is at least 1 application of each?
3. Discuss the different methods that can be used to calculate these amounts, and explain how at least 1 of these models can be used?
4. How can the time value of money models or formulas be used to determine the rate of return for an investment or the time it will take for a current sum to grow to a desired future amount?
5. Discuss the "Rule of 72" and how it can be used to estimate how long it takes for money to double at various rates of return?
6. Identify and recommend at least 1 credible Web site that an investor can visit to find the current market value of market indexes such as the Dow Industrial Averages?
1. Discounted cash flow concept is based on the time value of money and essentially arises since money received at an earlier date is dearer than money received at a later date. This is primarily because money has an opportunity cost and hence while evaluation of projects and various financial proposals it is imperative to consider the timing of the cash flows. It is imperative for financial managers to understand this concept so that they can make prudent financial decisions with regards to investing in projects and considering various proposals for the investment of idle cash reserves of the company. The prudent application of this concept would allow the financial managers to maximise the returns on capital for the company and hence ensure superior performance (Brealey, Myers and Allen, 2008).
2. The methods used for the evaluation of single or periodic payments are given below (Damodaran, 2008)..
1. Present value method – This involves the calculation of the present value of the various periodic payments assuming a reasonable opportunity cost usually risk free interest rate that the person assumes to earn. This can be used to estimate the present market price of a bond based on expected future coupon payments at periodic intervals..
2. Effective annual rate of interest - The effective annual rate of interest on the sum of money that would result in the periodic payments is also an evaluation technique. This can be used to estimate the YTM (Yield Till Maturity) of a given bond.
3. The various methods to determine this amount are given below (Kane and Marcus, 2013).
1. Annuity payment factor – In order to evaluate the present value of periodic payments, the annuity payment factor needs to be determined that acts as a discount factor. As a result, the present value of the annuity can be estimated by multiplying the payment in a particular period by the factor.
Hence, value of annuity = Annuity payment * Annuity payment factor
2. Cash flow discounting – Another method that may be helpful especially when the periodic payments are limited to a few periods is the actual discounting of the individual annuity payments using the given rate of interest.
4. In order to determine the rate of return of investment using the time value of money, the present value of the various cash flows derived during the lifetime of the investment must be equated with the current market value of the investment. This would result in the determination of the discount factor that would lead to the rate of return of investment (Damodaran, 2008).
Current price of investment = C1/(1+x) + C2/(1+x)2 + C3/(1+x)3 + ....... + Cn/(1+x)n
Where n is the rate of return of investment
Additionally, in order to determine the time for a particular investment to grow to a desired future amount, it is imperative to equal the future value of the current investment with the desired future value. On solving this, the time can be determined (Parrino and Kidwell, 2011).
Desired future value = Amount invested * (1+ r)t
Where t is the number of time periods and can be determined by using the above approach.
5. As per the “Rule of 72”, the time in years that is required to double the given principal in the case of compound interest is given by 72 divided by the underlying rate of interest. With regards to accuracy, this rule provides highly accurate results if the interest rate lies in the interval of 6-10%. This is a convenient tool to simplify calculations in case of compound interest. In order to estimate the time to double any given principal, input data regarding the underlying interest rate is required (Brealey, Myers and Allen, 2008). For instance if the interest rate ids 8% pa, hence the time required to double the principal or investment would be 72/8 = 9 years.
6. One website that an investor can visit to find the current market value of market indexes is www.bloomberg.com . This website is highly reliable and provides the latest information with regards to not only the US stock indices but also the other significant indices around the globe.
Brealey, R., Myers, S. and Allen, F. (2008), Principles of Corporate Finance, New York: McGraw Hill Publications Damodaran, A. (2008), Corporate Finance, London: Wiley Publications
Kane, B.Z. and Marcus, A.J. (2013). Essentials of Investment, Singapore, McGraw-Hill International Parrino, R. and Kidwell, D. (2011), Fundamentals of Corporate Finance, London, Wiley Publicationsa
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
My Assignment Help. (2016). Essentials Of Investment. Retrieved from https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/essentials-of-investment.
"Essentials Of Investment." My Assignment Help, 2016, https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/essentials-of-investment.
My Assignment Help (2016) Essentials Of Investment [Online]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/essentials-of-investment
[Accessed 03 June 2020].
My Assignment Help. 'Essentials Of Investment' (My Assignment Help, 2016) <https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/essentials-of-investment> accessed 03 June 2020.
My Assignment Help. Essentials Of Investment [Internet]. My Assignment Help. 2016 [cited 03 June 2020]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/essentials-of-investment.
Getting nightmare regarding pending chemistry assignment? Then it is high time you consider hiring chemistry assignment help service of MyAssigemnthelp.com. We at MyAssignmenthelp.com deliver quality subject specific assistance on more than 100+ subjects. For us, students' need is foremost, and we work round the clock to offer science, humanities and commerce assignment help. Among Commerce wing, our one of the most popular services is capital budgeting assignment help. In science segment, we have gained popularity with biology assignment help.
Answer: Introduction The innovative organizations tend to pursue their discoveries in a timely fashion. Successful organizations tend to create value for their customers. They focus on knowledge development by bring the outside ideas in-house. They focus on the current and potential customer needs to be able to fulfill them (Chesbrough 2003). The critical mass happens when a minimum number of users adopt an innovation, then the rate of adopti...Read More
Introduction Flying Airlines has been approached by the Japanese Tourist Agency for obtaining the special chartered flight for the tourism purpose. To accept the offer, the company will have to evaluate the profitability of this special offer. Apart from the financial results of the offer, other factors may also be considered by the company. The tourist agency is ready to pay $ 160000 for the chartered file to the Flying Company. But, in that ...Read More
Answer: Introduction The overall analysis of company’s financial performance is known as financial analysis. It is very important for the investors to conduct such analysis in order to have an idea about company’s financial position and to decide whether to invest in such company or not. This report contains a whole financial analysis of Mission NewEnergy Limited, listed on ASX. In the analysis, various factors like dividend policy,...Read More
Answer: Introduction: In the present case, CQU Printers is a company which is looking to change the printer to enhance its operations and to make the operations efficient and effective. The present case elaborates that some changes have taken place in the market and to come in line with those changes company needs to replace its old printer with a new one. This case is all about the replacing decision of the company (Ryan & Ryan, 2002). C...Read More
Answer: Introduction Organizational behavior is the study of the behavior and manners of the organizational members. It also decides upon the interaction of the organizational members. The study will assess my personality type through Myers Briggs Profile, Costa & McCrae Big 5 Personality Traits, McClelland Needs Analysis and Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument. The study will give a brief overview of my personality types. Apart from ...Read More
Just share Requriment and get customize Solution.
Our writers make sure that all orders are submitted, prior to the deadline.
Using reliable plagiarism detection software, Turnitin.com.We only provide customized 100 percent original papers.
Feel free to contact our assignment writing services any time via phone, email or live chat.
Our writers can provide you professional writing assistance on any subject at any level.
Our best price guarantee ensures that the features we offer cannot be matched by any of the competitors.
Get all your documents checked for plagiarism or duplicacy with us.
Get different kinds of essays typed in minutes with clicks.
Calculate your semester grades and cumulative GPa with our GPA Calculator.
Balance any chemical equation in minutes just by entering the formula.
Calculate the number of words and number of pages of all your academic documents.
Our Mission Client Satisfaction
Great work given the time that the assignment was required. Premium is the way to go.
Not much of an issue because the tutor\'s expectation was not very high in the end.
Markers noted some spelling errors and actually weak comparison in the report, it somehow scored a nice grade and I\'m fine with it.
I extremely thank you for completing my work in limited time frame. I thought I can\'t complete my work on time and I was depressed too until I get my final work. I can\'t express my happiness.