The scientific method gives us a means by which to approach the problems we wish to solve
• The core of this method is the forming and testing of hypotheses
• A very loose definition of hypotheses is ‘the potential answers to questions’
• Geographers use quantitative methods in the context of the scientific method in at least two distinct fashions:
Aim: To investigate the commuting patterns of UCC students in the context of greenhouse gas emissions and climate change.
1) Undertake a questionnaire to obtain primary data
2) Compile all questionnaires to obtain a large dataset
3) Perform explanatory methods of analysis
4) Perform confirmatory methods to test a hypothesis.