Coles and Woolworth are the major super market chains in Australia. These organisations have large number of retail outlets which are specialised in fulfilling day to day need of the customers by providing those fruits, vegetables, household product and so on. Coles headquarter is situated in Hawthorn East whereas Woolworth is located at 992 places. When both the companies come together they cover about 80%of Australian food market. Entire project report will focus on analysing the corporate strategy of Coles and Woolworth with the help of secondary research.
Challenges, objectives and core issues
Company had to face many challenges such as, difficulty in establishing their product in market due to market penetration and large number of competitors and many more. Beside this companies have their set objectives (Rosemann and Brocke, 2015).
Some of the objectives were -developing good relations with customers, selling the products in sustainable manner, providing hygienic food, addressing the complaints on time and so on (Lawrence and Weber, 2014).
Many problems were also there such as-
- Packaging, maintain stock, providing proper customer services and keeping proper accounting records.
- They left the consumers to identify themselves that which quality of their product is better than home brands and later they establish their own home brand.
- Woolworths faced many strategic issues like there strategy involve huge amount of investment, updating of technologies, paying attention to wide range of customers and maintain proper online system to pay off large number of employees on time (Peppard and Ward, 2016).
Literature review List
For developing the project report information is gathered from secondary data such as books, journals and so on. Some reviews derived from the books are-
- In the view of Spender, book Business strategy 2014. There are several uncertainties faced by the organisation in their life span and in order to overcome the problems, strategies are made and further these strategies help them to attain over all organisation goals.
- In the view of Grinblatt and Titman 2016 in his book financial markets & corporate strategy. Financial manager face several problems which can be overcome by making corporate strategies. Strategies are the borderer idea that how business is going to attain its mission.
Purpose of research
The main purpose of the research is to analysis of the corporate strategy of Coles and Woolworth. The entire project will include complete information about the organisations. This research is conducted to evaluate the functioning of the firm, competitors, profit earnings, future plans and so on.
Research methods and analysis of data
Deductive approach is used in making project. In this approach the information is collected from secondary sources such as books, journals, official sites the companies and articles. Data collected from these sources is already published data. Such sources are considered to be reliable because the data presented in them are given by experts (Silverman, 2016).
Analysis of data
Analysis is done on qualitative basis. On the basis of analysis it can be said that, the organisations are running their business efficiently and effectively which they reflected by spreading there stores at different localities, increase in the number of customer base, improving the quality off food as well as packaging and spreading there business in different fields.
Peppard, J. and Ward, J., 2016. The strategic management of information systems: Building a digital strategy. John Wiley & Sons.
Silverman, D. ed., 2016. Qualitative research. Sage.
Lawrence, A.T. and Weber, J., 2014. Business and society: Stakeholders, ethics, public policy. Tata McGraw-Hill Education.
Rosemann, M. and vow Brocke, J., 2015. The six core elements of business process management. In Handbook on business process management 1 (pp. 105-122). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.