The POS or point of sale system is the proper combination of software and hardware that is being built for the purpose of centralizing the business operations or processes (Dahlstrom, Walker and Dziuban 2013). The significant CRM or customer relationship management as well as the management of the inventories are subsequently considered as one of the major functions of this system of point of sale (Cui et al. 2016). This following report will be properly demonstrating the perfect description regarding this case study of Four Seasons Greenhouse and Nursery. This nursery is located in Colorado, which can track as well as control the inventories properly (See Appendix). Hence, this nursery was then facing some of the significant losses; then this nursery undertook this decision to implement the system of point of sale. The specific report will describe several facts that are related to this nursery.
1. Advantages and Disadvantages of New POS System
This specific provided case study is depicting regarding the significant nursery of the Four Seasons Greenhouse and Nursery (Jones 2011). This particular nursery will be eventually enjoying few of the major and vital benefits after properly deploying the system of point of sale. There are several vital benefits of the POS system, which are given below:
- i) High Speed and Good Efficiency: This POS system is quite effective as well as efficient for each and every type of transaction for their users and hence can be used in businesses (Eason 2014). The total speed of these transactions is also increased by this type of system.
- ii) Management of the Inventories: The next important benefit of this particular POS system would be that it is quite helpful for managing their respective stocks and inventories of any company (Lee, Lee and Won 2014). Furthermore, POS system is also responsible to replenish the stocks in a company.
iii) Accuracy in their Transactions: Another vital or noteworthy advantage of this POS system would be that this is absolutely responsible to give appropriateness as well as accuracy for each and every transaction and thus the data is completely free of error.
This specified POS system is quite beneficial for this company of Four Seasons Greenhouse and Nursery (Lloyd 2017). However, some demerits are also there and these disadvantages given below:
- i) Quite Costly: The first disadvantage of POS system will be that is quite expensive and hence often this becomes a major issue for affording the technology. The deployment as well as maintenance expenses of this POS system are much high than all other AIS or accounting information systems (Yang and Hwang 2015).
- ii) Needs Regular Maintenance: The system of POS requires periodical maintenance for avoiding all kinds of problems and thus these business operations are ceased while maintenance that could bring major losses for the organization (Lee, Lee and Won 2014).
2. POS System in Business for Obtaining Competitive Advantages
The POS system is eventually helpful for all organizations as well as businesses to properly acquire the various noteworthy competitive advantages in the organizations (Kiberu et al. 2014). The main benefit of this system of POS for the company of Four Seasons Greenhouse and Nursery will be that this will help them to simplify the complete system of transaction to numerous smaller and simpler versions. While the last business transaction is taking place, there will be the basic tracking or management of this entire register of inventory, which will be subsequently done by taking manual interventions. Moreover, whenever this system of POS is being implemented in the business; a specific tracking or management of all registers of inventory are being completed systematically (Kadam and Onkar 2015). Thus, Four Seasons Greenhouse and Nursery will be obtaining several competitive benefits.
3. Benefits of Having Centralized Database
This central based database can be defined as one of the databases, which could be promptly and perfectly controlled as well as stored within a location. Two typical kinds of these central based databases are present for the users (Laudon and Laudon 2016). Within these two kinds of databases, the very first kind is the simple data system and finally the second kind of central based database is the other type of database. The major benefits of having the centralized databases are given below:
- i) Improvement in the Proper Data Preservation: The respective centralized databases help to improve the correct maintenance of any type of sensitive data (Bajdor and Grabara 2014). Hence, there is less chance of faults and the feature of fault tolerance is present.
- ii) Cost Effective: The centralized databases are absolutely cost effective or cheap and thus could be easily used by each and every specific user of the centralized databases.
iii) Gives Security to Confidential Data: The respective centralized databases are responsible for giving utmost security and protection to the confidential data (Gallagher and Sixsmith 2014).
4. Facilitation of Decision Making by POS System
The organization of Four Seasons Greenhouse and Nursery can promptly and easily organize the various inventories and stocks (Lee, Lee and Won 2014). Moreover, there is an accuracy of their sensitive information is also checked and validated by the proper deployment of the system of POS. Previously, this specific organization had to order their products or services according to the several assumptions that are made for the requirement of the customers (Dahlstrom, Walker and Dziuban 2013). Next, the management of this company preserved their product racks entirely manually. Hence, the management of this company must choose the specified POS system for the proper tracking and monitoring of the various products automatically. All the several services of this business will be effective, efficient as well as can be properly completed speedily (Yang and Hwang 2015). The process of decision making is much more easier if POS system will be implemented here.
5. Recommendations for Telecommunication Alternatives for POS System
Three distinct alternatives are present for the purpose of obtaining the access and adaptation of the alternatives of telecommunications (Cui et al. 2016). These options of the telecommunications for this particular organization of Four Seasons Greenhouse and Nursery will be the local area networks or LAN, the second option for them will be the metropolitan area networks or MAN and lastly the third and the final alternative for this organization will be the wide area networks or WAN (Kadam and Onkar 2015). Amongst the three mentioned alternatives of the telecommunications, the best alternative for this particular organization of Four Seasons Greenhouse and Nursery is the WAN or wide area networks. The local area networks will not be feasible for the company since the network area is quite smaller. The next alternative or the MAN will also not be feasible for them since it provides network for a maximum extent to only few buildings (Laudon and Laudon 2016). Thus, the final alternative of WAN or wide area networks will be the most suitable for this company since it would enable the network access for the larger area.
The best solution for this company of Four Seasons Greenhouse and Nursery is a wireless technology. The main benefit of this wireless technology is that it does not comprise of many complexities (Bajdor and Grabara 2014). Cost effectiveness and high speed are the two other benefits of this technology. The best and the appropriate example of this type of wireless technology is the Internet connection of wireless fidelity or simply Wi-Fi.
6. Probable Risks in POS System and the Remedies
Three vital and noteworthy aspects for all the probable threats or vulnerabilities within any particular system of this POS are provided below:
- i) Privacy: The various computerized viruses as well as the malicious programs are considered as the most important risks, which are eventually linked with this factor of privacy (Gallagher and Sixsmith 2014). The deployment of several passwords or the up gradations of these passwords are the most efficient and effective solutions for all the above provided threats for the feature of privacy.
- ii) Confidentiality: The several ex employees within the organization must not breach the sensitive data outside their organization (Kiberu et al. 2014). The most suitable solution for this specified risk is the significant deployment of the firewalls and encryption technique.
iii) Security: The hackers could easily hack the system with the core purpose of stealing the data and leaking the data (Dahlstrom, Walker and Dziuban 2013). The most suitable remedy for the specific risk is the up gradation of their implemented antivirus software.
Thus, from the above provided report, this conclusion could be drawn that the mentioned nursery is situated in Colorado and they were undergoing few of the problems and issues that were eventually related to the several procedures as well as activities of the business. Moreover, this particular organization was also facing major losses in the business to a great level. Hence, they took this decision to implement the respective POS system within the processes and activities of the business. This report has demonstrated the several benefits and demerits of this POS system for this organization. Relevant details are provided within the report.
Bajdor, P. and Grabara, I., 2014. The Role of Information System Flows in Fulfilling Customers’ Individual Orders. Journal of Studies in Social Sciences, 7(2).
Cui, B., Jiang, J., Huang, Q., Xu, Y., Gui, Y. and Zhang, W., 2016. POS: A high-level system to simplify real-time stream application development on storm. Data Science and Engineering, 1(1), pp.41-50.
Dahlstrom, E., Walker, J. D., and Dziuban, C. 2013. ECAR study of undergraduate students and information technology(p. 2013). 2013.
Eason, K. D. 2014. Information technology and organisational change. CRC Press.
Gallagher, S. and Sixsmith, A., 2014. Engaging IT undergraduates in non-IT content: Adopting an eLearning information system in the classroom. Interactive Technology and Smart Education, 11(2), pp.99-111.
Jones, R. 2011, May. Garden Center 2.0. Today's Garden Center, 8, 14-16.
Kadam, K.S. and Onkar, V.C., 2015. A review paper on student information supervision system. International Journal of Research In Science & Engineering, 1, pp.66-72.
Kiberu, V.M., Matovu, J.K., Makumbi, F., Kyozira, C., Mukooyo, E. and Wanyenze, R.K., 2014. Strengthening district-based health reporting through the district health management information software system: the Ugandan experience. BMC medical informatics and decision making, 14(1), p.40.
Laudon, K.C. and Laudon, J.P., 2016. Management information system. Pearson Education India.
Lee, H.J., Lee, Y. and Won, D., 2014. Protection Profile for PoS (Point of Sale) System. In Mobile, Ubiquitous, and Intelligent Computing (pp. 495-500). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
Lloyd, I. 2017. Information technology law. Oxford University Press.
Yang, D. and Hwang, I., 2015, May. Security enhancement methods for mobile POS system. In Mobile Software Engineering and Systems (MOBILESoft), 2015 2nd ACM International Conference on (pp. 152-153). IEEE.