Read the article based on Putting America on the Map and answer the following questions with essay style responses (i.e. in complete paragraphs—one per question). Number your answers accordingly (1, 2, 3… etc.). Use your analytical skills to construct responses that are logical and show your ability to think critically. Your answers should demonstrate that you understood the content of the article and that you know what details should be included in order to explain the topic of each question to someone that has not read the article.
1. Describe the argument that identifies Ringman as the individual who decided to name the new land mass after Amerigo Vespuci.
2. Though not embraced by all immediately, the adoption of the name “America” for the newly discovered lands spread quickly. Elaborate.
3. The 19th century search of the Waldseemüller map was in vain. How was it eventually discovered?
4. What has become of the Waldseemüller map?
5. What fundamental change to our understanding of the history of New World discovery was caused by the 19th century unearthing of the book, Introduction to Cosmography?