Job description and specifications
Designation: Manager of Compensation Services, Athabasca University, Athabasca, AB
Role: The compensation manager will be responsible for establishing and monitoring the salary structure of the company including each of the position within the organisation and benefits related to each of the position (bls.gov, 2018). The manager will also be responsible for researching on pay scales and commissioning for conforming the compensations within the industry (truity.com, 2018). They may also schedule the compensation reviews of the employees and support the evaluation of the employee.
Job specification Specifications
Educational qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in the field of finance and management, preferred master’s degree for some of the positions. Athabasca University may also emphasises on the benefits and compensation of coursework that might cover topics such as behaviour and social science. Subject of finance and business management.
Employers of Athabasca University may emphasise on preference for candidates with an experience in salary and employee compensation and certifications in compensation from an international foundation.
Required skills: Effective analytical and researching skills, decision with private information, contract co-operation skills, high communication skills, capability to work under high pressure and capability with generally used digital programs (jobs.virginia.gov). Compensation managers need to have the ability to manage confidential company and information of the staffs in a respectful way. In this contract, cooperation skills are necessity for fostering communication both orally and written method amongst all levels of the employee (Chowhan, Pries & Mann, 2017). Moreover, compensational managers needs to have proper literacy in computer and needs to have flexible ability to operate digital devices along with proper knowledge in foreign language. These will be additional benefits of the selected candidates,
Average salary: Average annual salary for the designated position will be $111,430
Outlook of the job in between 2014-2024: The Bureau of employment and statistics assumes that jobs role for the compensation manager in the university may increase by 6% during the year 2014 to 2024.
Factors influencing recruitment
The internal factors that may affect upon recruitment is known as “endogenous factors” present within the organisation. Internal factors that may affect the recruitment are the recruiting procedure of the organisation while recruiting candidate internally. As stated by Stone et al., (2015), the external factors that affect recruitment are the rate of unemployment may have a strong impact on the strategies of recruitment. Completion, labour laws and increasing demand may also increase the challenges in finding the suitable candidate that are appropriate for the organisation (Adam et al., 2016).
As stated by Shin & Konrad (2017), recruitment strategies such as internal sourcing when the employee is well aware of the company they can suggest suitable candidates for the organisation. Another method of recruitment that may have impact is hiring of temporary and part time employees in retaining adequate application. Cost of recruitment is another internal factor that is required to be considered. Recruitment cost are needed to detrained while internal and external sourcing of employees through online method. In this context, careful HRP and forethought by the recruiters can helps limiting the cost of recruitment. In this, one of the cost saving method that can be used is recruit through multiple job openings (Palacios-Marqués, Soto-Acosta & Merigó, 2015). These will help in reducing the turnover of stags and reducing the requirement for recruitment thereby analysing the quality.
Designing online advertisement
Job title: Compensation Manager
Reporting to: Human resource manager
Hours: 8-9 hours may be day or night shift
Location: 1 University Dr, Athabasca, AB T9S 3A3, Alberta, Canada
Purpose of the position (To manage the compensation and benefits in all the fields of functions professions and management. The candidates need to have clear idea about Salary grading structure, executive compensation management, and benefits of HR controlling and budget forecasting systems).
Key responsibilities & duties
The main duties of the Compensation managers will be to research, develop and manage the pay structure of the company. This will involve with the understanding and analysis of the existing and future competitive markets for the staffs payment and advantages. In addition to this, the compensation manager needs to find out ways to conform that salary rates are fair and equitable for retaining and recruiting employees.
Responsibilities of the role
Must have or optional
Solving of complicated and mathematical skills for dealing with the compensation benefits.
Strong conflict resolution and analytical skills to sole problem.
Capabilities to develop pay grades that rule the levels of employees
Effective management skills and database handling skills for comparing the pay rates of all the employees
Technical entry of salary data
Excel and Microsoft database skills
Needs to have
(Bachelor degree skills with major in Mathematics or business management. Candidates with MSc in Economics or accounting and HR will be preferred. Should have communication and writing skills capability.)
(2-3 years’ Experience in HR management or Compensation benefits management will be given additional preference)
Identification of skills
- Knowledge about principles and processes required for personal recruitment, selection, training, compensation management, employment relation, and compensation and information system about employees.
- Knowledge about business management processes engaged in strategic planning, allocation of resources, human resource planning, tactics of leadership, method of production, negotiation of people and different resources (com, 2018).
- Knowledge about structure and content about English Language consisting of meaning and spelling of different words and grammars
- Mathematical, accounting knowledge including arithmetic, algebra, geometry, statistics, and the application of this knowledge.
- In depth understanding of written sentence and paragraphs in work associated documents
- Active skills of listening for providing full attention to other people’s issues, taking ample time to evaluate their points, making proper questions and not interrupting at unsuitable times.
- Critical reasoning capability, with the use of logic and reason for identifying the strength and weakness for another solution to the problem and conclusion to conflict (Hong, Li & Minor, 2016).
- Need to have skills to consider the comparative cost and advantages of potential activities for choosing the suitable one.
- Ability to be careful about the details and thorough checking while completing the tasks
- Analysing different information and using of logic for addressing work associated issues and problems
- Ability to behave patiently with all other employees along with displayable of good nature work and cooperating behaviours,’
- Ability to maintain composure managing emotions and acceptance of criticism while dealing patiently with high stressful situation within workplace.
- Purpose to determine the skills, abilities and knowledge
- What are your strength and efficiency for the position?
- Where do you place yourself in case of some improvements?
- What according to you is the cost significant accomplishment of your work period?
- Describe the most challenging working day from work experience.
- Purpose to determine the level of intelligence needed for the job
- How would you deal with multiple salary database of the employees within workplace?
- Describe a short hypothetical issue related to salary within the workplace.
- Concisely explain a position in which you have help that requires you to evaluate the facts and prepare a final salary structure.
- Purpose to determine the responsibility and capability to be accountable for their actions.
- Describe the failure in your life or workplace and the reason behind its happening’
- Explain a project that is required to complete
- How do you approach a person from another language?
- Purpose to demonstrate if the candidate opinion about their job as a challenge
- What do you think is the best and least about your existing position?
- What are your opinions about the characteristics of the individual that is appropriate for the position?
Adam Cobb, J. (2016). How firms shape income inequality: Stakeholder power, executive decision-making, and the structuring of employment relationships. Academy of Management Review, 41(2), 324-348.
bls.gov (2018) Compensation and Benefits Managers: Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.. Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/compensation-and-benefits-managers.htm
Chowhan, J., Pries, F., & Mann, S. (2017). Persistent innovation and the role of human resource management practices, work organization, and strategy. Journal of Management & Organization, 23(3), 456-471.
Hong, B., Li, Z., & Minor, D. (2016). Corporate governance and executive compensation for corporate social responsibility. Journal of Business Ethics, 136(1), 199-213.
jobs.virginia.gov (2018) Compensation and Benefits Manager. Retrieved from https://jobs.virginia.gov/careerguides/CompManager.htm
Palacios-Marqués, D., Soto-Acosta, P., & Merigó, J. M. (2015). Analyzing the effects of technological, organizational and competition factors on Web knowledge exchange in SMEs. Telematics and Informatics, 32(1), 23-32.
Shin, D., & Konrad, A. M. (2017). Causality between high-performance work systems and organizational performance. Journal of Management, 43(4), 973-997.
Stone, D. L., Deadrick, D. L., Lukaszewski, K. M., & Johnson, R. (2015). The influence of technology on the future of human resource management. Human Resource Management Review, 25(2), 216-231.
truity.com (2018). Compensation or Benefits Manager. Retrieved from https://www.truity.com/career-profile/compensation-or-benefits-manager
villanovau.com (2018). Retrieved from https://www.villanovau.com/resources/hr/compensation-benefits-manager-job-description/#.W92WBJMzbIU