Discuss about the Information System Issues Oz Supermarket .
Oz Supermarket provides many things which are required for day to day life activities and also it has all the necessary household products that are required. Along with all these things, the company is well equipped with technology and uses some ground breaking technologies that is aimed to help the common people to a great extent. The technology that is used by the company is aimed to reduce the queues and this will also help the people to wait less when it comes to payment system.
Technology used in the company
In the field of technology, Oz Supermarket is quite technologically sound as it uses some of the technologies which are quite advanced. In respect to any supermarket, it is quite ahead of its time. Oz Supermarket have installed this technology only to reduce the queues that generally happen while customers are leaving and while they are at the counter. Their main motto is to encourage the users to come into the store and grab whatever they want and leave the store with their belongings.
Till this day, many supermarkets accept cash in their counter as their primary source of income and Oz supermarket has eradicated that idea. They have installed something called PayWaveTechnology where the user needs to just wave the card in front of the door and the user can gain access into the market (Swift & Piff, 2014). The card that they wave is then registered from which the money gets automatically deducted after they have finished their shopping.
The company has also installed the RIFD or Radio Frequency Identification which is basically chipped into every single trolley. All the products have bar codes with them and when a product is picked and put into the trolley, due to the barcode present on the side of the product, the RIFD feature recognizes this bar code and generates the amount for that particular product which gets queued up in the counter alongside the user’s name (Fan et al., 2014). When the item is removed from the trolley, the amount that has been queued will be automatically deducted from the total. The main advantage of using this feature is to reduce the time that is taken while making the total for each customer by going through each and every product. By this there is no queue in front of the counter as the total sum that is generated is then deducted from the card that they used to gain their entry into the store. By this the customers need not to wait in front of the counter to pay for their products.
To counterpart the problems with the PayWaveTechnology that is the users who do not have cards, the company issues them a temporary card with some minimum balance in it. For users to avail this facility, they need to deposit some cash which will be credited directly into their card. By this way, PayWave card can be used by them to shop in the supermarket. After they have finished their shopping, they can exit from the store just like other customers. Whatever the remaining balance that is left off from the card after the shopping is completed, is either recorded in balance or the remaining amount is given back to the customers in the form of money. However, if the amount exceeds than the credited one, an alarm will ring which will notify the officials that the user is out of credit and the user cannot shop anything more. In order to continue, they need to refill their card again and they can continue.
Every product is tagged with RIFD chips which help them to identify all the products out of the rest and this also avoids confusion. The trolley is so strategically built that users can get a detailed view of their products and also can see the price of the total products that they have taken (Fan et al., 2014). Another area where the store has used their technology is the Car parking area where every car is allowed to be parked for a limited time period when the peak season comes and the car parking is charged with time. In non-peak seasons, the car parking rates are quite low and for the disabled the parking is free.
- Storing the details of the users: Company should consider opting for Big Bata where they can store all the details about their users’. By doing so they can know what kind of customers are visiting regularly and what products are they buying and by doing so they can provide some offer on these products so that this will attract more and more customers from all around (Haraguchi et al., 2016). Storing the details will also help them analyze the market what they search for specifically.
- Giving offers and Rewarding points: Company should also try to give offers to these users by which they will be more motivated to shop in there. Reward points will also help them to shop more and more as they can get discounted price on their total amount which will surely make them happy. The offers will be directly credited in their cards and this will encourage others to use cards more and more as by this they can avail the offers (Parks, Olson, & Bokor, 2015). Once in a month they should consider giving heavy discounts on their products so that they shop more and more.
- Advancing the technology: The RIFD or Radio Frequency Identification that has been used by the company incurs extra overheads that are when multiple products are selected at a random, it becomes quite difficult for the machine to calculate the price. Due to this the total sum at the end may vary which could be fatal for the supermarket (Fan et al., 2014). In order to avoid this from happening, the RIFD should be connected with the Big Data which will help them to calculate the price at a much faster rate
Improving the customer services
From the above case study, the company can improve their customer services by reaching out to more and more people. In doing so, they can send them messages in their phones or email them about the offers that they will provide. Every customer should be treated individually and the offers that the company is offering should be tempting and should be different for each user in order to make them feel special. The offer should come after doing a full analysis on the customer and also should have a close look at what they are buying the most. By doing so they will be more encouraged to go there and buy those products (Schaper et al., 2014). Also the company should often do a survey by calling their regular customers once in a month and get their feedback about how to improve their shopping experience. The company should also share their success stories with people so that they can also know more about the company and the company should try to praise their customers for their wonderful contribution. By this they can make their customers feel more special.
Suggestions for improving Business Operations
- The Offering: The Company should seriously consider what they are offering to their customers as a business cannot sustain for long if the offering itself is hollow from deep down. The company should see what the customers value the most and also to see how to make their shopping experience more enjoyable as these are the customers who will compare one company with some other company only if they can provide better customer service. The officials should be clear about the offerings that they are providing to their customers. The supermarket should opt to stay open for longer hours as there might be any state of emergency when there is an urgent need of something. By this they are building trust among the customers who can later rely on them. The supermarket should also consider selling their products at a discounted rate so that more and more users’ gets attracted towards it and also the supermarket should increase their product range so that users need not to go to different stores for different items when they can get all under one roof (Fernando, 2015). Another important aspect that they should consider is to being friendly with their customers. They should be able to resolve any query that is raised by the user then and there and giving them solutions for their query. They should also give offers that are exclusive to the users based on their preferences so that they do more shopping there. The shopping environment should be made clean and any dispute among the users should be taken care of gently. In order to so, the best way is to survey the customers and learning more about their behaviors.
- Feedback Forms: Feedback forms are very useful for any company to gather information from the customers because in this way the organization can get to know more about their customers and their needs. In this type of forms, the company creates a form with a series of questions and users are asked to give their ratings and views on these. These forms can be either distributed physically or even online. The users need to fill in some of their personal information so that the organization can provide more to that user for which they are not satisfied. The ratings and views that are given by the users are very important as by this they can come to know what users thing about them (Payne & Frow, 2013).
- Product quality review: Product quality review is very important for any organization as customers always look for the best product as they are paying a sum for these. If the products are not up to the mark, the customers will switch to some other source were it is available. So in order to satisfy the customers, Oz supermarket should make sure that their product are up to the quality and the products that they are giving are not something that is damaged or expired (Goetsch & Davis, 2014). The officials should so a regular check on these products to find any flaws and if any found, the item should be removed as soon as possible.
Oz supermarket is quite advanced and is ahead of its time when it comes to technology. They did something which is really beneficial for any customers as by this they do not have to stand in the long queues not outside nor counter. But they should do more so that more customers come and they should try to install the Big Data which could boost their business as with Big Data they can analyze data within minutes and they can also get to know more about the market as well as their customers. They should also try to conduct some surveys which can help them to know more about their customers and their needs and by knowing all these; they can improve their customer feedback. They should try to maintain good relationship with the customers and try to offer them tempting offers which will encourage them to shop more there. The organization should also take customers feedback seriously and work accordingly.
Fan, T. J., Chang, X. Y., Gu, C. H., Yi, J. J., & Deng, S. (2014). Benefits of RFID technology for reducing inventory shrinkage. International Journal of Production Economics, 147, 659-665.
Fernando, R. P. (2015). Customer relationship management in business to business organizations.
Goetsch, D. L., & Davis, S. B. (2014). Quality management for organizational excellence. Upper Saddle River, NJ: pearson.
Haraguchi, T., Terahara, T., Shimura, T., & Kawaguchi, Y. (2016). U.S. Patent Application No. 15/131,224.
Parks, B., Olson, P. D., & Bokor, D. W. (2015). Don't mistake business plans for planning (it may be dangerous to your financial health). Journal of small business strategy, 2(1), 15-24.
Payne, A., & Frow, P. (2013). Strategic customer management: Integrating relationship marketing and CRM. Cambridge University Press.
Schaper, M. T., Volery, T., Weber, P. C., & Gibson, B. (2014). Entrepreneurship and small business.
Swift, L., & Piff, S. (2014). Quantitative methods: for business, management and finance. Palgrave Macmillan.