Case Study: Meeting the Challenges of Stakeholder Engagement and Communication: Lessons From Teacher Incentive Fund Grantees
Case Study Questions
The TIF Program Case Study illustrates many components that we've discussed as part of this course. You’ll need to read the case, along with the paper on engaging stakeholders through social networking. After reading both, write a case study report that discuss, detail and illustrate answers to the following questions:
1) From the case there appears to be further stakeholders not described or catered for. Illustrate who they are and why you think they may not have been included?
2) The case outlines various implementations or roll-outs that a number of committees, boards or groups were structured for the program. Why do you think that there were different types of groups formed? What role would they have played and what stakeholders would be included within each for the implementation of the program?
3) As highlighted within the case, there were disputes raised through the program with varying degrees of success. What measures could have been in place to help navigate and potentially resolve any such disputes? What role does power and politics have in stakeholder engagement?
4) Waters et. al. (2009) study on nonprofit organisation's use of social networking sites highlighted interesting findings in terms of how organisations weren't maximising their use for establishing and building relationships. If the TIF Program was to occur now, how would you suggest to use social media? What would be the advantages and disadvantages? What networking opportunities could have been taken advantage of and how?
5) The case illustrates a firm distinction between engagement and understanding. What do you think would be some of the signs that there was this gap? Can you describe some of the potential reasons why this occurred? What elements of communication and informal channels would you suggest can be focused on to reduce this gap? How would you know that this gap is shrinking?
6) "Grantees have grappled with the challenge of conveying consistent, though often tailored, messages to quite different audiences". Given that America is a very multicultural country, discuss why this is a difficult challenge. If this was within a multinational organisation, describe additional challenges that there would be in conveying consistent messages throughout implementing the change.
7) One of the core "learnings" was to seek help when you need it. If you were a leader in implementing the new educational software package how would you take this learning and apply? Discuss the challenges that this would bring about and the strategies that you would use to mitigate the risks associated with those challenges.