You work for Intelligent Information Inc, an international firm with more than 100,000 employees in several countries. A strategic goal is to use Big Data more effectively.The firm is considering the purchase of a Big Data Analytics Package.The will consist of a program of individual strategic projects. George Smith is the VP of Operations.Sam Johnson is the VP of Marketing.Vinh Tran is the Risk Manager.The CFO, Jack Smith is the project sponsor and chairman of the Project Steering Committee.Susan Wong is the CIO, a member of the Steering Committee, you’re your immediate superior.
You have been hired as an IS project manager to recommend a platform that will meet the needs of the various stakeholders.Your first task is to understand the needs of Marketing in terms of identifying potential customers and improving the service delivery to existing customers to increase loyalty and reduce churn.Operations is interested in IoT sensors and using predictive and prescriptive maintenance.Risk is interested in fraud detection and prevention.
You have been briefed that your tasks include the following:
- Hire a consultant to assist with identifying suitable analytic packages.
- Recruit the project team of internal and external staff.
- Identify appropriate sources of internal and external data to meet the business objectives.
- Trial a short list of platforms with key use keys from each business area, being Marketing, Operations and Risk.
- Gain agreement with major stakeholders on the preferred platform.
- Negotiate with the vendor, with the assistance of the Purchasing Department and procure the licenses and external data sources.
- Gain access to relevant internal data sources through the IT Department’s systems maintenance group.
- Implement a series of analytical solutions, at least one from each business area, and measure the ROI and degree of business client satisfaction.
- Train business users and IT maintenance staff.
- Transition the system from special projects to production.
- Identify further projects necessary to continue the program of Big Data Analytics.
The budget for the project is $1,500,000, and the goals are to gain project approval, determine the best solution, implement, monitor performance and ensure benefits realisation.
Susan decided to have ten people working full-time on this six-month project and to call on people in other areas, such as Marketing, Sales and Risk as needed. She wanted to be personally involved in selecting the project manager and to have that person help him select the rest of the project team. Susan wanted to find people already working inside the company, but she was also open to reviewing applications for potential new employees to work specifically on his project as long as they could start quickly. Because many good people were located in different parts of the world, Susan thought it made sense to select the best people he could find and allow them to work virtually on the project. The project manager will act as the liaison between internal and external stakeholders.