As per the given scenario of Webb’s Stores, it is a regional retailer in New Zealand and Australia and operates many stores. In Webb’s Stores different and special kinds of food stuffs are sold. In different cities of Australia, Webb’s Stores are situated and providing amazing food products to their potential customers. This company performs its daily business operations by using conventional techniques that are time consuming and secure. Moreover, it has become difficult for Webb’s Stores to manage its number of staff members properly in its all stores at different locations. To overcome this problem, Webb’s stores want to move towards cloud computing so that all daily operations can be done on time with fast pace. The purpose of making this report to suggest Webb’s Stores regarding implementation of cloud computing in its business and how migration process for existing data and services can be moved to cloud. The main points that I will cover in this report are types of security that are required for secure migration to cloud platform, risks associated with migration to cloud and other essential concepts. This report will help Webb’s Stores to manage implementation of cloud platform for handling different business operations.
1. Webb’s Store Database Migration
It is eventually decided by Webb’s Stores that all its services and products should be migrated from MS-SQL server to an IaaS service of cloud. So after doing this, team of Webb’s Stores must have knowledge about types of security to protect data on new IaaS platform (Cook, S., & Cook, S, 2017).
a. Type of Security to protect database at IaaS Cloud Service
After transferring database from one platform to other, security is always considered at priority basis by business enterprises and Webb’s Stores is also one of those companies. In this situation, the security need to be maintained at time of access of database and it should be responsibility of data administrator (Google Cloud Platform, 2017). To sustain security on new platform, it should be in the knowledge of administrator who is accessing database and he is authorized person or not. In this case, encryption technique should be used while storing data into database for maintaining data integrity and security. Another type of security that needs to maintain is regarding environment where database has migrated. The new cloud environment should consider physical and network security infrastructure and administrative access to the database. In this way, high level of security can be maintained at Webb’s Stores level.
b. Benefits and Issues of Security Measures
The above discussed measures of security are beneficial after migration of services to new platform. The first benefit is that on the behalf of these measures, level of security can be identified for databases on a particular platform and issues of hacking, phishing and virus attacks can be controlled and high level security can be achieved. Furthermore, a comfortable environment can be created on the behalf of security measurements in which different business operations can be performed on time and with confidentiality. The chances of risk of violation of data privacy can be reduced. On flip side, issues that can be encountered while implementing these security measures is regarding implementation of security strategy plan by security experts. It is not easy to make a strategic plan for security, there are several essential factors such as process of sharing responsibility, protection of data, application security and preparation of plans for backups and data recovery, are necessary to consider. Moreover, the security experts are also difficult to find that can perform these measurements of new platform easily (Onlinetech.com, 2017).
2. Risks Associated with Migration Process
Here in this segment of report I would like to emphasize on another essential concept of risks of migration from exisitng platform to IaaS Cloud platform. These risks are associated with database, IaaS infrastructure and interaction between Webb’s and database of IaaS.
a. Risks of Database
The main risk of databases in IaaS Migration are listed as below:
- There is limitation for storing sensitive data into a database that is on cloud platform. It may enhance chance of data violation.
- If any application or database is running fine on IaaS platform after migration then no need to use much more maintenance and scaling. It may lead to lack of security.
- Various unknown challenges can be faced by new users if they have less required knowledge about migration process.
- It is possible that some operations may lead to problem of underdevelopment while using cloud applications on internet.
b. Risks of the IaaS Infrastructure
Besides risk of database, there are also some risks that associate with infrastructure of IaaS.
- A small misconfiguration in IaaS structure may lead to poor security and bad performance. Various interruptions can be encountered in usage of databases on this platform.
- The deployment of applications and databases on IaaS structure does not provide protection against vulnerabilities. But resolution of these vulnerabilities is necessary, otherwise insecurity can be enhanced in case of workloads and it will be difficult for cloud service provider to manage that insecurity (SecludIT, 2017).
- The mistakes in line of code of IaaS platform are common and it develops a new attack surface for network attackers. It is very difficult to be an expert in maintenance of IaaS platform.
c. Risks of Communication among Webb’s and database of IaaS
Another important risk factor is found in communication of IaaS and its users. After migration, user of IaaS platform will be Webb’s Store and this company may face following problems:
- Due to issue of security risks at IaaS platform, Webb’s Stores Company may face some problem while doing communication and sharing of data over network. It is possible that hackers may try to access transferring confidential data (SearchDataBackup, 2017).
- Some network interruptions may also encountered in communication and due to these disruptions data can be violated or can be modified (Badola et al., 2017).
These are some essential risk factors that associated with migration to IaaS platform and Webb’s Stores must be aware about these risk factors (Doublehorn, 2017).
3. Data Backup on Cloud
Backup and restoration of data is most important thing and it must be taken by every network user to cope up with situation of data loss. In this segment of report, I will discuss about risk of backing up the data, storage of data in the cloud and retrieval of data from cloud.
a. Issues of Backing up Data from Cloud
As per the given scenario, Webb’s Stores wants to use cloud platform for backup of data. It will be helpful to recover lost or violated data due to network attacks. But it is essential to know by Webb’s that there are some risk factors related to backup on cloud and those are listed as below:
Risk of Data Backup from Cloud
- The first risk is that restore windows are very small and due to this restoration of data become time consuming process. Therefore, if Webb’s wants quick restore of its data on IaaS platform then it may not possible and company has to wait for long time (Manes, 2017).
- The risk of unauthorized access of data is also associated with backup process on cloud. There is lack of surety that backup data is not suffered with security breaches. There are some companies that have already faced problems of security breaches on cloud platform and due to that they were not able to use backup data.
Risk of Storage of Data on Cloud
Before storing data on cloud platform, it is necessary for Webb’s Stores to know about risks of storing data on cloud platform that are listed as below:
- The risk of protection is main concerning factor for Webb’s Stores while storing data on cloud platform. Nowadays, hackers mostly try to hack cloud network to access sensitive information.
- The lack of standardization is also a main risk factor of cloud platform. It is happened because cloud vendors do not follow security standards properly and it leads to poor security.
- Unlike in owner’s personal computer, on cloud there is no control of owner of data. In this case, it is mandatory to know that by whom whole data is controlled. Then answer is that the ownership of data on cloud is in hands of vendors. So there are chances of lack of security at vendors’ end (NovaBACKUP Blog, 2017)
Risk of Retrieval of Data on Cloud
In case of retrieval of data some risk factors are also found by cloud users. While accessing data from cloud platform it is necessary to security standards properly due to risk of data hacking. If Webb’s will not follow those standards then data integrity can be lost. Moreover, while accessing data a user must be sure that authorized access should be done to cloud database, otherwise heavy loss can occur. It is commonly seen that users do not care for their login credentials and allow unauthorized users to access their database. It leads loss of sensitive information.
Therefore, it is necessary for Webb’s Stores that while storing, accessing and taking backup from cloud platform take care about above discussed risk factors. It is responsibility of security expert of company.
b. Effect of Cloud Backup on DR Plan
It is necessary to understand by Webb’s Stores that if it has any data recovery plan then it is no longer adequate to use. Cloud backup is much better and modern technique to take data backup online. After adapting cloud based backup solution, it will be definitely become easier to take backup in a day as compare to data recovery plans. Due to this, frequency of data damage will be reduced to some extent and in case of any emergency, Webb’s can use recovered data for performing different operations (Dimensiondata.com, 2017).
4. Protection while Accessing of Cloud Services
As I have discussed different risk factors of IaaS infrastructure, backup and storage processes of cloud and essential points regarding cloud security, now here I will emphasize on protection of while accessing these cloud services (Oracle.com, 2017).
a. IaaS Infrastructure
While accessing IaaS infrastructure, user must need to concentrate on its configuration. If configuration will not be done properly then security issues can be raised with a single mistake (Eatelbusiness.com, 2017).
b. MS-SQL Server Cloud Instance
On other side, while accessing MS-SQL Server cloud instance then there is need to be careful about authorized access of database by using accurate login credentials (Munir, 2017).
c. Cloud Network Infrastructure
Further in case of cloud network infrastructure to access information with protection there is requirement to follow network security policies that are defined by cloud developers. By following these standards, users can reduce chances of security violation and network attacks (HexaTier, 2017).
d. Cloud Back and Restore Infrastructure
In case of cloud backup and restore infrastructure to get secure access it is responsibility of service providers to maintain high level security of cloud databases so that backup can be generated without any violation or breach.
In conclusion, after migrating all services on cloud platform, Webb’s Stores must take care about above discussed security concerns of information so that business operations can be performed in better way without any security risk and disruption.
Munir, K. Security management in mobile cloud computing.
4 Risks Associated With Storing Data In The Cloud. (2017). NovaBACKUP Blog. Retrieved 25 September 2017, from https://novabackup.novastor.com/blog/4-risks-associated-with-storing-data-in-the-cloud/
Manes, C. (2017). What are the risks of backing up your business data in the cloud? - Disaster Recovery Journal. Drj.com. Retrieved 25 September 2017, from https://www.drj.com/articles/online-exclusive/what-are-the-risks-of-backing-up-your-business-data-in-the-cloud.html
Risks and Concerns about IaaS – Executive Perspective. (2017). Doublehorn. Retrieved 25 September 2017, from https://doublehorn.com/risks-and-concerns-about-iaas/
The 3 main Security risks in IaaS Cloud. (2017). SecludIT. Retrieved 25 September 2017, from https://secludit.com/en/blog/3-main-security-risks-in-iaas-cloud/
Badola, V., Qin, M., Sabo, I., Team, C., Hawkins, A., & Casalboni, A. et al. (2017). Cloud migration: benefits and risks of migrating to the Cloud. Cloud Academy Blog. Retrieved 25 September 2017, from https://cloudacademy.com/blog/cloud-migration-benefits-risks/
IaaS Cloud Services - Migrate Any Workload to the Cloud | Oracle UK. (2017). Oracle.com. Retrieved 25 September 2017, from https://www.oracle.com/cloud/iaas-services.html
Security Best Practices for Migrating your Database to the Cloud - HexaTier. (2017). HexaTier. Retrieved 25 September 2017, from https://www.hexatier.com/security-best-practices-for-migrating-your-database-to-the-cloud/
Benefits of Disaster Recovery in Cloud Computing. (2017). Onlinetech.com. Retrieved 25 September 2017, from https://www.onlinetech.com/resources/references/benefits-of-disaster-recovery-in-cloud-computing
How cloud and virtualization are changing disaster recovery. (2017). SearchDataBackup. Retrieved 25 September 2017, from https://searchdatabackup.techtarget.com/feature/How-cloud-and-virtualization-are-changing-disaster-recovery
Seven Best Practises. (2017). Dimensiondata.com. Retrieved 25 September 2017, from https://www.dimensiondata.com/Global/Latest-Thinking/Backup-and-Disaster-Recovery-Plans-Get-Cloudy/Pages/Home.aspx
How to Design a Disaster Recovery Plan | Solutions | Google Cloud Platform. (2017). Google Cloud Platform. Retrieved 25 September 2017, from https://cloud.google.com/solutions/designing-a-disaster-recovery-plan
Where does disaster planning begin, and where does it end? - Five Steps to a Data Backup and Disaster Recovery Plan - Eatel Business. (2017). Eatelbusiness.com. Retrieved 25 September 2017, from https://www.eatelbusiness.com/blog/-/blogs/five-steps-to-a-data-backup-and-disaster-recovery-plan
Cook, S., & Cook, S. (2017). What is Disaster Recovery & How to put a Disaster Recovery Plan in place. Comparitech. Retrieved 25 September 2017, from https://www.comparitech.com/blog/cloud-online-backup/disaster-recovery-planning/