Discuss about the Leadership and Ethics for Learning and Dynamic Nature.
Leadership is an art for guiding as well as leading other people through convincing power, skills for motivating, etc. This aspect plays vital role in managing organizational tasks in an effective manner. Leadership is one of the most significant contributing factors in relevance with organizational sustained growth and development (Arthur, 2015). Leadership plays significant role in every aspect and it is essential for leaders to adopt appropriate skills and attributes so that requirements of organization could be fulfilled as per the external market conditions. Leaders are required to be flexible enough so that they could sustain along with leading group of individuals in dynamic business environment. Beliefs, values, characters, and ethics are pillars of leadership and these pillars reflect the true essence of leadership. A person with these attributes could become a good as well as effective leader which could lead his teammates towards attainment of organizational desired goals and objectives. Major challenge for every organization is to manage and leads its people in one direction through which sustainable growth and objectives could be attained. Along with this, it is expected from every leader that they will demonstrate high standards of ethics, beliefs, and values and show a positive character in their actions so that they could lead the assigned team in an effective manner along with generating positive outcomes (Beck & Cowan, 2014).
While considering the aspect of leadership, it has been evaluated that a person with effective communication skills, bright vision and mission, intelligence, learning and dynamic nature is said to be a good and effective leader. Although, these qualities do not affect functionalities of a leader but with these attributes, leader is known as trustworthy, effective in terms of accomplishment of tasks and building trust amongst the teammates (Boaks & Levine, 2015). As per my opinion, it is necessary for a leader to adopt these qualities and attributes along with the good character in order to portray a reliable image amongst the teammates in relation with winning trust, faith, respect and love from the teammates and followers. Character of a leader is an essential element and it helps the organization to lead the whole team in an effective manner along with the accomplishment of desire goals and objectives of a leader. Good leadership styles reflect with great values such as integrity, compassion, responsibility, and forgiveness. In consideration to this, it has been analysed that leader’s good character could be identified with these attributes as well by analysing his personal values (Cashman, 2017).
I could relate my leadership style with Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon Inc. He is a charismatic leader and constantly changes his style of leadership in order to meet the current organizational needs. With regards to this, organization could easily match up with the current business’ requirements, changing customer’s demands, tastes and preferences (Choi, 2015). I am holding the position of branch manager of a multinational corporation and its operations are expanded mainly in Asia, some parts of Europe and Australia. I am acting as a branch manager at one of the fastest growing nations i.e. in China. In relation with this, I try to develop and maintain coordination amongst the teammates by organising team activities, interactive sessions and by other similar activities in regular intervals. This helps the teammates to coordinate with each other through which tasks could be managed in an effective manner along with gaining positive outcomes. Being a charismatic leader, I always try to bring creative and innovative ideas into workplace so that operations could be accomplished. Along with this, I have also promoted my teammates and other employees all necessary resources for thinking out of the box. This helps the organization to gain all possible ideas for enhancing organizational performance as well as for facing all obstacles and issues of the organization. Apart from this, my leadership style also matches with the transformational leadership style as I always try to find out creative as well as unique ways for attending clients’ queries (Ciulla, 2014).
It has been observed by me that born leaders are more effective in comparison to the created leaders. Although, both require appropriate training and development sessions to enhance their skills to match up with the organizational as well as marketing requirements, but born leaders are quite more effective, understanding and coordinating in comparison to the created leaders (Daft, 2014). Following are major characteristics of a strong leader:
- Self-Discipline: This is the action of analysing what is right at every moment of execution irrespective of the ramifications. Self-discipline is one of the major aspects in every leader’s life because it helps the leader as well as his teammates to execute the functionalities in an effective manner along with estimating positive return over investments (Fairhurst, 2016).
- Moral courage: It is one of the attribute for every leader to face challenges, dangers and risks in relation with the accomplishment of tasks. In relation with this, I used to analyse the ramifications of all possible actions so that one of the best alternative could be adopted for the accomplishment of organizational tasks. Along with this, it also helps the organization to gain its desired goals and objectives as well as in terms of motivating employees for accomplishing organizational goals with the help of most appropriate method (Goetsch & Davis, 2014).
- Core values: Majorly, every leader’s as well as mine qualities are almost same i.e. integrity, harmony, compassion, caring, and respect for every teammate. With the help of these core values, I have been able to accomplish manage all the teammates as well as his efforts in an effective manner. This has also helped me to enhance my skills along with uplifting organizational performance in the dynamic business environment (Heifetz & Linsky, 2017).
Usage of leadership has been increased with the effect of globalisation as well as liberalisation within the business contexts. However, it has also been analysed that leadership has been one of the major aspect for every organization from past certain years (Katou, 2015). In relation with my leadership experience, I would like to relate them with the following leadership theories:
- Trait theory of leadership: This theory is most suggestive amongst the all theories of leadership in nature. I have observed from my styles of leadership as well as from the other’s styles of leadership that every leader has its own sense of sense of performing tasks which makes them as effective leader. These traits also show the character of a leader and these traits could also be moulded as per the organizational requirements. Some of the traits which I follow in terms of my leadership style are integrity, good decision making, respect, empathy and the ethical responsibilities (Kiel, 2015).
- Behavioural theory: Behaviour theory of leadership describes one leader’s behaviour with its teammates in relation with the accomplishment of assigned tasks. For example, I used to treat my employees and teammates as my family members and regularly I used to conduct different interactive sessions so that coordination could be developed amongst them along with describing them the need of teamwork (Lawton & Páez, 2018).
Apart from this, I relate myself with various other leadership theories such as transactional, charismatic, and transactional as well as with the democratic leadership style. All these leadership styles are relevant as per my leadership style. Along with these theories, I also used to practice contingency theory of leadership which is developed on the ideology that leadership is highly flexible and leaders are quite effective to understand the circumstances of business in order to adopt an appropriate measure for attaining sustainable growth and development for the organization. Every leader has its own limitations as well as the strengths through which any obstacle could easily be confronted along with gaining positive outcomes (Normore & Brooks, 2014).
Strengths and weaknesses of my leadership style are as follows:
· Strong communication skills
· Better understanding of business as well as employees’ needs
· Democratic in nature (Pardey, 2016).
· Welcomes all ideas from employees to select one of the most appropriate alternative
· Constantly update the strategies in order to meet with the business’ requirements
· Provides resources to the employees to think out of the box
· Lack of multitasking abilities
· Charismatic leaders are known as activators but there are various times where I fail at execution (Sandis & Taleb, 2015).
· Lack of knowledge regarding technical knowledge
· Diversification in skills
· Adaptation of technological strategies along with moulding to match up with every type of business situation
· Self-development for better organising and managing the people
· Managers and junior level leaders are major threats for me
· All those leaders which have huge understanding regarding organizational procedures could easily overtake my position (Sosik, 2015).
As my role model is Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon. He is known as one of the biggest leader of this era. He stands in the list of top thirty richest men across the globe. In the initial days of his leadership, he uses centralised power through which he confronted criticism from his own teammates. This nature also brings various negative outcomes for him but later on, he realised the importance of teamwork and adopted the decentralised strategy for decision making process. This helps the organization grow and expand in various parts of the globe. Since then, organization has acquired leading position in the online retailing industry and operates in more than 18 countries across the globe with registered offices in 12 different countries (Terry, 2015).
With regards to the journey of Jeff Bezos, I realised that teamwork and passion is required for making a dream into reality. I am working as a branch manager in China which is one of the fastest growing economies across the globe. It is a manufacturing unit and it is being set up in the China market by reviewing the availability of high class skilled labour in the market. With regards to this, it becomes difficult for me to manage labours and supervisors with the objective of attainment of organizational desired goals. Skilled labour becomes efficient enough to acquire the position of supervisors and other upper positions. This leads to generate competition amongst the organization which later on turns into aggressive competitive environment within the workplace. These types of environment does not create positive results for the organization and in relation with providing equal opportunity for every employee, I have conducted IJPs (internal job posting) method under which every employee is given equal opportunity to prove their qualities, values and efficiency for acquiring the higher position. This has helped me to manage all the employees in an effective manner along with the development of an effective environment at the workplace for attainment of organizational goals and objectives (Winston, 2016).
With regards to my previous and current experience, I will suggest myself to adopt advanced mythologies as adopted by the effective leaders of current era such as Jeff Bezos, Tim Cook, etc. This would help me to enhance my skills in order to treat the teammates in more appropriate manner. This would also ensure the attainment of sustainable growth and development related objectives. Further, it can be concluded that leadership is one of the most appropriate and effective element for enhancing organizational performance. As per my opinion, I have observed that along with leadership, leaders also plays vital role. Thus, it is necessary to analyse the business’ requirements, demands and needs so that appropriate leadership style could be followed in relation with the attainment of desired goals and objectives.
Arthur, J. (2015). Of good character: Exploring Virtues and Values in 3-25 Year-olds. Andrews UK Limited.
Beck, D.E. and Cowan, C.C. (2014). Spiral dynamics: Mastering values, leadership and change. John Wiley & Sons.
Boaks, J. and Levine, M.P. eds. (2015). Leadership and Ethics. Bloomsbury Publishing.
Cashman, K. (2017). Leadership from the inside out: Becoming a leader for life. Berrett-Koehler Publishers.
Choi, S.Y. (2015). The Effects of Ethical Management on Social Workers' Organizational Effectiveness-With Focus on the Mediating Effects of Superior Ethical Leadership and Employee Ethics. International Information Institute (Tokyo). Information, 18(5B), p.2033.
Ciulla, J.B. ed. (2014). Ethics, the heart of leadership. ABC-CLIO.
Daft, R.L. (2014). The leadership experience. Cengage Learning.
Fairhurst, G.T. (2016). Reflections on leadership and ethics in complex times. Atlantic Journal of Communication, 24(1), pp.61-69.
Goetsch, D.L. and Davis, S.B. (2014). Quality management for organizational excellence. Upper Saddle River, NJ: pearson.
Heifetz, R. and Linsky, M. (2017). Leadership on the Line, With a New Preface: Staying Alive Through the Dangers of Change. Harvard Business Press.
Katou, A.A. (2015). Transformational leadership and organisational performance: Three serially mediating mechanisms. Employee Relations, 37(3), pp.329-353.
Kiel, F. (2015). Return on character: The real reason leaders and their companies win. Harvard Business Review Press.
Lawton, A. and Páez, I. (2018). Developing a framework for ethical leadership. Journal of Business Ethics, 130(3), pp.639-649.
Normore, A.H. and Brooks, J.S. eds. (2014). Educational leadership for ethics and social justice: Views from the social sciences. IAP.
Pardey, D. (2016). Introducing leadership. Routledge.
Sandis, C. and Taleb, N.N. (2015). Leadership Ethics and Asymmetry. Leadership and Ethics, p.233.
Sosik, J.J. (2015). Leading with Character 2nd Edition: Stories of Valor and Virtue and the Principles They Teach. IAP.
Terry, L.D. (2015). Leadership of public bureaucracies: The administrator as conservator. Routledge.
Winston, K.I. (2016). Review of Prudential Public Leadership: Promoting Ethics in Public Policy and Administration. By John Uhr. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.