Leadership for Sustainability
Students are required to research and analyse a contemporary Australian business leader of their choice.
Case Study on the Outback Steakhouse
Students are required to read the Case Study on the Outback Steakhouse and answer the questions following.
- What theories of motivation underlie the way in which Outback’s leaders motivate their managers and staff?
- Discuss how empowerment is employed in the Outback Steakhouses to meet higher motivational needs and suggest practical ways in which other staff could also be motivated through empowerment.
- If you are given the task of communicating the recommendations made in question 2 to your employees, how would you go about it
Each student is required to discuss and analyse a team they have been a part of or been able to observe in their own environment. This could be a work team, sporting team or student task group. The discussion should consider the following:
- Describe the type of team
- Describe the team characteristics
- Describe the level of team cohesiveness present
- Which of the team members played task-specialist roles and who socio-emotional roles? Reflect on the behaviours of each role.
- Describe the solving of conflict or conflict-resolution techniques used.
- Suppose you are appointed as the new leader of this team and are tasked with developing an improved work roster which would improve performance. How can you use your understanding of the stages of team development to improve your team’s effectiveness?