Marriott is an international premium brand of hospitality and hotels chain headquartered in The United States (Marriott 2018). The company owns seven and five-star hotels across 122 countries. This premium brand hotel chain has about 1.2 million rooms in the whole world. The below presented report wil be focused on the operations management of Marriott International by making use of SWOT analysis (Bromiley & Rau, 2016).
SWOT Analysis of the Marriott hotel
Marriott has a strong international presence. As the manager of the Marriott hotel in the USA, I have observed that the change in the booking patterns and the type of consumer has increased the stay of the customer in the Marriott international hotel (Takacs & vaduva, 2017). The SWOT Analysis of the Marriott international hotel is:
- Marriott Way: The strength of this premium brand of hotel chain is that there are strict rules of operational norms. The top management is authorized to design the code of conduct for the employees of the company and they are abiding by this code of conduct. Their policies are based on their resourcefulness (Kang, 2015).
- Wide Presence: Marriott is present in the 122 countries in the world. The company owns 600 properties across the world. Its huge presence across the world creates its strong brand image and visibility.
- Focuses on the innovation: The operational process of the Marriott focuses on the innovative practices, its systems, and the procedures focus on fulfilling their commitment so that their customers get the value for the amount they had invested.
- Competitive position: Marriott is the leading and the competitive brands in the hotel and hospitality industries in the world.
- Extreme Emphasis on expansion: Marriott is focusing excessively on their expansion. The empire of this premium hotel chain becomes so wide that it becomes impossible for the Marriott international hotel to maintain their standing in the whole world and this resulted in the dilution of the brand.
- Marriott's Controversies: The image of the Marriot is been diluted because of the continuing controversies in their hotels (Fernfortuniversity 2018). The latest example of these controversies is that the customers are facing the privacy risk, due to the blockage in their personal wifi.
- Changes in the consumer behavior: The person around the world wants to stay in the luxury hotel. This has been observed that the people trend of staying in the luxury hotel is increasing continuously in the developing countries. This change in the consumer behavior is considered as the major opportunity for the Marriott International hotels.
- Focus on the unexploited market: The premium group of Hotel chain is providing their support for the community of LGBTQ and the special offers for the same-sex pairs (Bhasin 2017). Their offers and the support to develop an opportunity for the enhancement of their brand image.
- Increase in Travelling: In recent years, it has been observed that the number of traveling among the people has been increased as compared to the previous years. This is considered the opportunity for the success of the company.
- Competition: The Marriott is facing competition from the brands like Novotel, Mercure, Hilton, and Raddison. These hotels are the threat of the growth of Marriott.
- Economic recession: The recession in the world has adversely affected the hotel and the hospitality business. Many properties in the market are out for sale, as it becomes difficult for them to earn proper revenues
SWOT Analysis chart
• Highly successful marketing strategies
• Wide online and offline presence
• Competitive position
• Wide range of reliable suppliers
• Profitability ratio and net contribution is below industry average
• Marriot's Controversies
• In-efficient and improper financial planning
• New pool of consumers from online platform
• Changes in Consumer behavior
• Focus on the unexploited market
• Intensified Competition
• Economic Recession
• New technologies developed by competitors
The focus groups for the Marriott in the USA are the high-class customers and the travelers from around the world. In recent years, the traveling has increased twice as compared to the previous years, now the travelers' wants to explore the different parts of the world and wants to stay in the luxury hotels around the world (Marriott 2018). The Marriott has the strong presence in the different countries of the world.
Questions created by the Marriot International for their focus Group are:
- On what scale you want to rate our service? 1 2 3 4
- On what scale you want to rate our ambiance? 1 2 3 4
- Food quality 1 2 3 4
- Swimming pool facilities 1 2 3 4
- Customer care services 1 2 3 4
The management of the Marriot International creates these questions. The ratings are described as 1 is for poor. 2 is for good, 3 is for very good, 4 is for excellent (Marriott 2018). These questions are asked by the focus groups of the hotel and the customers who stay at the Marriot International hotel. These Questions are the feedback of the customers and the company will focus on improving their weak points in order to maintain their brand image.
In the limelight of the above-executed analysis it has been concluded that the above report is majorly focused on the approach of SWOT Analysis of Marriott International. Marriot international is one of the leading premium hospitality organization and hotel chain all over the globe. The premium chain of hotel is famous for its excellent service and ambiance. It is present in the different countries around the world and has the strong brand image. The strength of the Marriott is that they had their own way of management, competitive position and huge presence around the World. The weakness of the Marriott International is that their extreme emphasis on the expansion dilutes their management control and there are many controversies of Marriot, which is the major weakness of the Marriott international group of hotels. Their focus on the unexploited market, increase in traveling and change in consumer behavior are the opportunities of the Marriot and the Marriott group of hotels are facing a threat of competition from their competitors. The focus group of the Marriott is the travelers and the high-class people.
Bhasin, H, (2017) SWOT analysis of Marriott International Inc. [Online]. Available at: https://www.marketing91.com/swot-analysis-marriott/. [Accessed on 16th August 2018].
Bromiley, P., & Rau, D. (2016) Operations management and the resource based view: Another view. Journal of Operations Management, 41, 95-106.
Fernfortuniversity, (2018) Marriott international SWOT analysis /Matrix, [Online]. Available at: https://fernfortuniversity.com/term-papers/swot/1433/195-marriott-international.php. [Accessed on 16th August 2018].
Kang, H. (2015). Toward Entrepreneurial Success: A Strategic Planning and Analysis Model. Business Journal for Entrepreneurs, 2015(3).
Marriott, (2018) About Marriott International-Find your world, Available at: https://www.marriott.com/marriott/aboutmarriott.mi. [Accessed on 16th August 2018].
Takacs, J., & vaduva, S. A. (2017) A swot analysis of the global hospitality industry. Revista Economica, 69(6).