The purpose of the recommendation project is to be able to look at your industry and organization within itself and access their feasibility. The information garnered from the research will be stated as purely as possible with your recommendations as the end result all based on research.
The recommendation will be done by looking at the industry and then specifically at an organization within and find 3 recommendations for changes and improvements. The improvements may be based on current issues or it might just be trying something differently to prolong the sustainability of the organization and its relevance in the market.
from your discipline (degree area) research will be conducted from different aspects. Industries can be either: Management, Accounting, Marketing, Human Resources, Health Administration, Finance, Etc.. The choice of organization and issues are open.
The industry will then be looked at from 5 different aspects
I.E. Human Resource Management
- Venture Capitalist
- Off boarding
Academic research is to be conducted for this assignment. Academic research is conducted using research based –information. 70% of the resources MUST BE JOURNALS and the rest can be newspapers, magazines, websites, etc.
Each individual is expected to have 15 individualized resources – this mean that you have to have at least 10 journal articles and the others can any combination of the rest.
A standard APA bibliography with the writer adding 2 to 4 sentences below each entry. The sentences must be a quick summary of the article and why it was used.
Each of the previous aspects of your industry will be researched and each week using 3 resources you will write a 2-3 page paper written using 3 resources (2 journal articles and one additional resource with an annotated bibliography)
The paper must have 4 sections:
- summary of the articles
- impact to industry, employers and employees
The journal papers will help you write the final recommendation report
Skeletal:the resources will then be used to write a draft of the final paper and it is the skeletal. A sample is provided in the assignment tab
Recomendation REPORT: the final recommendation paper is to be a full length explanation of the industry, the chosen company and the required 3 alternative recommendations with you choosing one of the 3 alternatives is the best or ideal recommendation for the company. You must use all 15 resources from the journals. A sample is also provided in the assignment tab
Presentation Outline for the physical in-class presentation you must have a short 2-page outline that is based on the full report
Powerpoint: A 10 slide max PowerPoint presentation is required for the in-class presentation
- Alternative 1
- Alternative 2
- Alternative 3
Conclusion – best recommendation for company
- 10 slides max per group
- 1st slide is the cover slide – title of group, name of organization and list of presenters in order of presentation
- 2nd slide is the index slide – table of content with list of all slides
- 3rd is introduction slide – take introduction from outline and put it on slide
- 4th – 9th are content slides – where presenters have their presentation information
- If the slide has a picture or pictures – you are allowed 4 lines of text
- If the slide does not have a picture – you are allowed 8 lines of text
- 10th slide is conclusion slide – take conclusion from outline and put it on slide
- Text sizes have to be exact
- Titles have to be size 44
- Regular texts have to be sizes 22 to 28
- Be careful of the colors used because some colors do not look good on the overhead.
This report is based on the recommendations on the changes and improvements on the current issues that are based on the company. The company that has been selected for this assignment is United Parcel services. Along with this, the industry on which the report focuses is management industry.
The industry that has been selected is management as it is essential for the company to manage the operations of the company. The feasibility of the company can be done on the basis of the human resource management of UPS Company.
United Parcel Service (UPS) is an American multinational package delivery company along with this the company provides the solutions for the supply chain management solutions. The company came into the existence in the year 1999 on July 15th (Reuters, 2018).
Alternatives - Human resource management
Alternative 1- Hiring through agencies
- Findings- Hiring of the talented employees is considered as one of the issues faced by the UPS. The feasibility of the recruiting the employees shows that the company is not feasible enough to hiring the talented employees. Therefore, it is recommended to the company to source the employees from the agencies who can provide the best-qualified person.
- Benefits- Hire the best-qualified persons for the job will lead to the success. Along with the talented employees will like to stay with the company for the long period of time which provides the benefit (Armstrong and Taylor, 2014).
- Risk- The risk that is associated with this alternative says that the company has to pay the high amount to the agencies for sourcing the talented employees.
Alternative 2- On-the-Job Training
- Findings- The training of the employees is not effective for employees due to which the operations work remain incomplete. Moreover, the company is not feasible of providing training effectively that can be used by the employees at the workplace. Therefore, it is recommended to implement the on-the-job training to the employees.
- Benefits- The benefit of the on-the-job training is that the employees will understand the work effectively. The training will be provided to the customer on the job only which helps them in understanding the culture (Jacobs and Jaseem Bu-Rahmah, 2012). Employees will get the experience in working with the environment and they can remain in the organization.
- Risk- This might leads to the poor customer service and along with this the learning skills of the new employees are poor.
Alternative 3- Effective Leadership skills
- Findings- The effective leadership skills in the human resource management is lacking in the UPS in the United States due to which they might not be able to manage the new employees. Therefore, it is recommended to the company develop the effective leadership skills which help the company in guiding the new employees.
- Benefits- The benefits of this alternative are that the employees will get the correct guidelines from the leaders which help them in performing the activities perfectly (Bratton and Gold, 2017).
- Risk- The management becomes difficult until and unless the leader knew about their employees.
In the end, it can be concluded that the UPS should make use of the first alternative in which they can hire the employees through agencies. This is the effective way through which the company can hire the expert who can retain in the organization and leads to the productivity. Moreover, the skilled people have high learning power which will help the company in training activities.
Armstrong, M. and Taylor, S. (2014). Armstrong's handbook of human resource management practice. London: Kogan Page Publishers.
Bratton, J. and Gold, J. (2017). Human resource management: theory and practice. UK: Palgrave.
Jacobs, R.L. and Jaseem Bu-Rahmah, M. (2012). Developing employee expertise through structured on-the-job training (S-OJT): an introduction to this training approach and the KNPC experience. Industrial and Commercial Training, 44(2), pp.75-84.
Reuters. (2018). United Parcel Service Inc (UPS). Retrieved from: https://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/company-profile/UPS