Discuss about the Network Up Gradation for Optical Fiber Communications.
Cookie Co. is one of the most popular and perceived cookie chain of stores. They are having their businesses throughout the nation. They have reached and achieved success in their business in all the branches. However, recently they are suffering from a major disturbance due to the slowing down of their connectivity of data network connectivity (Bocker 2012). Moreover, they are also suffering from distorted and unreliable voice calls. These types of distortions are occurring due to several network issues. This in case is becoming a major problem for the staff members and the clients of the organization.
This particular report provides a brief description about the up gradation in the network infrastructure for the recognized organization namely, Cookie Co. The present infrastructure is not at all feasible and cannot handle any modifications or changes within it. This report provides the best suitable recommendations for Cookie Co., so that these would be beneficial for them. Moreover, the benefits of each of these are also mentioned in the report.
- Network Convergence and Unified Communications: Network convergence can be simply defined as the integration of several modes of communication in a single network (Rizzo and Lettieri 2012). The main benefit of network convergence is that it integrates the entire network and reduces the complexity of the multiple modes of communications. Moreover, network convergence is responsible for the flexibility and scalability of the efficient coexistence of the communication of data, telephone and video in that one network. This is not possible in separate infrastructures (Bocker 2012). The other name for network convergence is the media convergence. Cookie Co. should choose network convergence in their organization as it would integrate the entire network infrastructure into a single network. Unified communications is similar to network convergence. It is also the integration of various services of enterprise communications like the instant messaging, video conferencing, and voice messaging in a single communication (Rizzo and Lettieri 2012). Cookie Co. can converge or unify their entire network, both for the head and the branch offices in a single network easily and effectively.
- LAN Type and Cabling Plan: The best suggestion for this particular case study of Cookie Co. would be the Ethernet cable. This type of cable is same as the cables of telephone. Ethernet cable is the best cable of network that is being utilized on the wired networks (Stephens et al. 2012). This type of Ethernet cables normally connect the several devices in a local area network or LAN. The various devices are the computers, laptops, switches and routers. The cabling plan for the head office and the branch offices of Cookie Co. can be done easily with the Gigabit Ethernet cable. The gigabit Ethernet cable is extremely fast and secured local area network. The speed of this Ethernet cable is almost up to 1 Gbps (125 MBps). Another advantage of this type of Ethernet cable is that it can be split into number of devices (Rizzo and Lettieri 2012). Cookie Co. can split this Ethernet cable into various pieces and can utilize and enjoy the high speed easily and effectively.
- WAN Connection: Wide Area Network or WAN is the network of telecommunications over a huge area. The larger geographical area is useful for several number of area networks are not needed. Several numbers of local area network are together constituted to make one Wide area network or WAN (Miller 2012). There are various types of WAN connections like SONET, ATM, Dial Up, cable modem and leased line. This wide area network would be the best option for the head office of Cookie Co. and the other branch offices should be connected with the local area network.
- Transmission Media: Transmission media is the way of transferring information from sender to the receiver. There are various types of wires or cables for transferring the information. The popular types of transmission media are the optical fiber, coaxial cable and twisted pair cables. Cookie Co. should opt for the optical fiber for their business (Barnoski 2012). The main advantages of optical fiber include greater bandwidth, lower loss of power, immunity to the electromagnetic interference, flexibility and security. Thus, it would be the best option of transmission media for Cookie Co.
- DNS and IP Management: There are various technologies or tools for the management of DNS and IP address. The recommended tool for the monitoring of the network in Cookie co. is OpUtils (Kuhlenkamp, Klems and Röss 2014). This can easily manage and monitor the Domain Name System and the Internet Protocol address.
Cookie Co. is having various problems in their existing infrastructure. They have thought of implementing a new information technology infrastructure, instead of renovating the existing one. They are running out of budget and the implementation of new infrastructure would be out of their budget. The network service is a type of application that runs on the application layer of network (Jelassi et al. 2012). This application layer provides storage, communication, presentation and manipulation of data and is utilized in a peer to peer architecture. There are four types of network services. They are the Voice over Internet Protocol or VOIP, Intranet, Extranet and Email.
The VOIP or Voice over Internet Protocol is the group of technologies that helps to deliver the various multimedia sessions and the communications of voice over the Internet Protocol or IP. The telephone services like the Broadband telephony, the various phone services of broadband and the Internet telephony normally refer to the communications provision (Sinnreich and Johnston 2012). The basic examples of services of communications are the voice messaging, fax, SMS and voice. Cookie Co. is having trouble because of their unreliable and distorted voice calls. Voice over Internet Protocol is the best option in this case. It reduces or rather eradicates the distortion in voice calls.
The second network service is the Intranet. It is a private network, which can be only accessed within a company or an organization. In simple words, it is the type of Internet that can be accessed within a closed group only, that is, within an organization or a company. The information technology systems of that organization cannot be accessed from outside (Rekhter et al. 2016). It is the most secured and the safest private network. It does not give access to those people who work outside the organization. Cookie Co. will be having extremely benefited and advantages if they will choose Intranet in their organization as it will be providing the most secured network.
The third network service is the Extranet. This is slightly different from the Intranet. Intranet does not allow any access from outside. However, Extranet allows access to only to partners, suppliers, vendors and the authorized set of clients of that organization (Fariborzi and Zahedifard 2012). This is also a private network but the access is little widespread. Cookie Co. can utilize this network service for the outsourcing of their business. The clients can contact them through this network. Moreover, the vendors, suppliers and the business partners can easily contact the organization by utilizing this network service.
The fourth network service is the Email service. The best and the fastest communication way is the email service. The message is delivered easily and with excellence. Moreover, it is the safest way of communication. Almost negligible time is required for communication (Jelassi et al. 2012). The email service is also cost effective and does not incur much cost. Cookie Co. can use this network service for their communication purpose, as it is cost effective and the fastest approach.
The above-mentioned network services would be extremely beneficial and advantageous for the organization, Cookie Co.
Data Processing Facilities
Cookie Co. will be having various facilities of data processing. There are two types of data processing facilities. They include Data Storage solution and Data processing model. The description is as follows:
- Data Storage: Cloud is the best solution for any type of data transfer and data storage. The main benefit of cloud is its security. The data is extremely safe and secured when it is stored in cloud. Moreover, cloud is also cost effective in nature (Jadeja and Modi 2012). The second option is SAN or Storage Area Network. This also stores data in extremely safe and secured manner.
- Data Processing: Peer to Peer or P2P model would be the best suggestion for Cookie Co. for processing of data (Neill and Richard 2012). Simplicity is the major benefit for this particular peer to peer model. Complexities are almost zero in case of data processing. Moreover, this peer to peer model does not necessitate any peer to peer network for the server computer to be utilized.
Conclusion and Recommendations
Therefore, from the above discussion it can be concluded that, Cookie Co. is experiencing major turmoil in their current network infrastructure. They have taken a decision that they will be adopting an innovative infrastructure. They have calculated that if they will make changes in the existing infrastructure, it will cost even more. The brand new and the innovative infrastructure of network has unified communications and network convergence. The second topic that is being described in the report is the several types of LAN and the relevant plan for in the head office and branch offices. The third topic that is being discussed in this report is the connection of Wide Area Network and the suitable media for transmission and the devices for connection. Moreover, the most significant way for Domain Name System and the management of IP address is also clearly mentioned in this report. The final part of the report consists of the four recommended types of network services and the two types of data processing facilities.
Barnoski, M. ed., 2012. Fundamentals of optical fiber communications. Elsevier.
Bocker, P., 2012. ISDN The Integrated Services Digital Network: Concept, Methods, Systems. Springer Science & Business Media.
Fariborzi, E. and Zahedifard, M., 2012. E-mail Marketing: Advantages, Disadvantages andImproving Techniques. International Journal of e-Education, e-Business, e-Management and e-Learning, 2(3), p.232.
Jadeja, Y. and Modi, K., 2012, March. Cloud computing-concepts, architecture and challenges. In Computing, Electronics and Electrical Technologies (ICCEET), 2012 International Conference on (pp. 877-880). IEEE.
Jelassi, S., Rubino, G., Melvin, H., Youssef, H. and Pujolle, G., 2012. Quality of experience of VoIP service: A survey of assessment approaches and open issues. IEEE Communications surveys & tutorials, 14(2), pp.491-513.
Kuhlenkamp, J., Klems, M. and Röss, O., 2014. Benchmarking scalability and elasticity of distributed database systems. Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, 7(12), pp.1219-1230.
Miller, S. ed., 2012. Optical fiber telecommunications. Elsevier.
Neill, W.D. and Richard, J.E., 2012. Intranet portals: marketing and managing individuals’ acceptance and use. Australasian Marketing Journal (AMJ), 20(2), pp.147-157.
Rekhter, Y., Rosen, E., Aggarwal, R., Cai, Y. and Morin, T., 2016. Extranet Multicast in BGP/IP MPLS VPNs (No. RFC 7900).
Rizzo, L. and Lettieri, G., 2012, December. Vale, a switched ethernet for virtual machines. In Proceedings of the 8th international conference on Emerging networking experiments and technologies (pp. 61-72). ACM.
Sinnreich, H. and Johnston, A.B., 2012. Internet communications using SIP: Delivering VoIP and multimedia services with Session Initiation Protocol (Vol. 27). John Wiley & Sons.
Stephens, B., Cox, A., Felter, W., Dixon, C. and Carter, J., 2012, December. PAST: Scalable Ethernet for data centers. In Proceedings of the 8th international conference on Emerging networking experiments and technologies (pp. 49-60). ACM.