You have been commissioned to develop a database system that is capable of growing as WMUED does.
The database needs to keep a record of:
• All student basic information
• All staff basic information
• All student enrolment information
• All teaching allocation
• All assessments and results
• Timetable for all units in both semesters
Further, it should be possible to generate a report on:
• Course enrolment including number of students who enrol newly or continuously
• Unit enrolment including number of students who enrol newly or repeat
• Teaching staff allocation including staff information, class type, time and room location
• Assessment results of individual students for all enrolled units
• Student performance of a particular unit including all assessment results and final marks,sorted based on grades and surnames.
Steps you need to take to develop your database application
1. Complete the analysis and design of your database application
a. List the business rules for your system (do not get distracted by red herrings in the scenario!).
b. Identify the entities and relationships in your system.
c. Identify the characteristics of the entities in your system.
d. Develop an ER diagram to model your system.
e. Develop table structures from the ER model.
f. Conduct a dependency analysis of the table structures and normalize your tables where appropriate, to at least 3NF.
g. Create a data dictionary for your database