1.Nursing theory can be defined as a set of concepts, beliefs, policies or prepositions derived from different nursing models to help or guide the practice of nursing. These theories help nursing student and nurses to develop better nursing practices, knowledges and to take care of their patients properly in a better way.
There are various common nursing theories which is very important for any nursing undergraduates or students practicing nursing professionally. These are as follows:
- The importance of having nursing theories in practicing students as it helps them to understand in providing better patient care, better understanding or communication between the patient’s and their relatives and also to enhance the professional status of nurses(Aliakbari, 2015)
- It is important to learn as it provides guidelines or direction in practicing nursing by explicitly describing theories. It also provides foundations to nursing students to know more about nursing students to know more about nursing and in which direction it should develop in future.
- The main objective of nursing is to care which is abstract i.e. cannot be measured. Therefore, it is important to have theories to explain what the actual role of nurses.
The strategies I would use to teach nursing theories to students are as follows:
- The active participation of both students and teachers through different classroom activities like debate, presentations, group discussions, etc. can be one of the effective to learn the theories(Michaela Miertová, 2013).
- The introduction of simulation education is vital as enacting real-world case help student to improve their knowledge, clinical competence and boost their confident handling critical cases.
- Problem or case-based learning can also be one of the effective strategy in which student gets opportunity to understand the actual clinical problems or cases and how they can apply themselves in those situations.
I would like to research on one of the most studied sexually transmitted disease in both men and women i.e. HIV AIDS. To design the research project, I would choose theory called Self care theory. People should highly be aware of HIV AIDS and should know to take care of themselves and their family members. Self-awareness is important to keep ourselves safe from many diseases. If a person has knowledge about HIV they will definitely take precautions to avoid such diseases.
Self-Care theory is characterized by completely developed human structures and sound mind and healthy body functioning. If a person on his own maintains healthy behavior then he or she also influences and guides the members of his family and friends (Dorothea Orem's Self-Care Theory, 2012). HIV AIDS spreads through unprotected sex with the infected person, coming in contact with blood, vaginal fluid or semen of infected person, sharing needles with them. So, in this case self-care theory can be very effective for people to avoid such activities to stay safe from HIV AIDS (Cateno, 2006).
If individual is aware about any diseases then according to the self-care theory he or she will definitely take precaution and will never indulge in activities that affects their health. This also influences his family member to practice in safety and healthy behaviors. Hence if a disease is dealt at micro level it will definitely help to avoid disease at the high levels.
Aliakbari, P. (2015). Learning theories application in nursing education. NCBI.
Cateno, P. (2006). Self-care and HIV/AIDS patients: nursing care systematization. NCBI.
Dorothea Orem's Self-Care Theory. (2012, Feb 4). Retrieved from Nursing Theories: https://currentnursing.com/nursing_theory/self_care_deficit_theory.html
Michaela Miertová, M. L. (2013, 12 2). INNOVATIVE TEACHING METHODS:IN THE PROFESSIONAL TRAINING OF NURSES – SIMULATION EDUCATION. Institute of Nursing, Jessenius Faculty of Medicine in Martin, 55-60.