1. What is an operational plan?
2. Explain two different models and methods of operational plans.
3. Why is consultation an integral part of an operational plan and explain who you should consult when developing an operational plan?
4. Who are the personnel who must approve your operational plan and the reasons why they must be consulted?
5. Explain why you should include “key performance indicators” in your operational plan?
6. It is important to incorporate contingency plans at appropriate stages of operational planning. Explain the importance of this?7.
7. In order for an operational plan to be successful, it is important to get all parties on board? Explain why?
8. Explain why having a sound knowledge and understanding of budgets or finances is important in operational planning?
9. Physical resources and services should be acquired in line with organisational policies and procedures. Explain what policies and procedures should an organisation have in place?
10. What process should you have in place as a manager to review and monitor your operational plan and explain the importance of regular review and monitoring?
11. Explain what skills are required to be an effective coach in the workplace to manage poor work performance.
12. It is important that operational plans are monitored to measure its effectiveness. Explain what technology or software you could use to assist you with this process.
13. Explain why it is important to recognise and incorporate requirements for intellectual property rights and responsibilities when recruiting and acquiring resources and services.
The operational plan is one of the highly detailed plan that helps in providing a clear picture of how the different teams, department or sections that will assist in contributing towards the achievement of the organizational goals effectively. The operational plan requires day to day activities that is required to run the business appropriately that will include the strategies that will help in achieving the different objectives (Soto-Silva et al. 2016). The proper financial resources analysis is helpful in identifying the different kind of timeline that is maintained for achieving the strategies effectively. Hence, operational plan assists in providing detailed picture of the section or team that helps in achieving the goals.
Two models of operational plan- CPN model and Optimisation Model
Two methods of operational plan- it includes ongoing plans and single-use plans that requires that the single use plan will address the current events or the specific problem. On the other hand, ongoing plan includes the carry forward to the future periods and changes are done that are necessary.
The process of consultation is essential concept in managing the operational plan in the organization. The consultation process is effective in which the organization management opens both formal and informal channels between the different organizations and this includes channels in between organization and the stakeholders as well. The purpose of the consultation is to invite the different stakeholders as this provides proper advice to management of the entire organization about the different needs along with expectations.
While developing operational plan, proper consultation is essential to be taken by the different stakeholders of the organization about the needs and expectations of the employees and employer in managing the different kind of informal and formal channels of communication. It is the duty of the employers of the organization to take care of whether the invitation has been sent by stakeholders correctly (Foot 2017).
The personnel who must approve the operational plan includes the higher officials in the organizations along with the different stakeholders. The reasons that they must be consulted is that they are the ones who have proper and accurate knowledge on the different kind of operational plan that has to be managed effectively (Alderson, Brown and Carlyle 2015). Furthermore, the stakeholders and the employers of the organizations has to understand the potentiality of the different components and this will improve the entire operational plan. Lastly, the approval is essential from the personnel as this will create proper analysis of the activities in an appropriate manner.
The key performance indicators in the operational plan includes the different kinds of programs that are based on proper quality and solve the issues effectively. There are different reasons of inclusion of key performance indicators in operational plan are as follows:
- The key performance indicators help in increasing the quality of the programs and this helps in attainment of the goals effectively
- Furthermore, it helps in improving the facilities and increase the sponsorship revenue as the key performance indicators to provide essential to know information effectively
- The key performance indicators will help in reporting to the stakeholders as they help in providing clear cut solutions effectively (Shi et al. 2017)
Importance of the contingency plans at appropriate stages of operational planning includes the following:
- The main purpose of the contingency plan is to allow the different organizations in returning to the daily operations in a quick manner after the unforeseen event
- The contingency plan helps in protecting the different resources and identifies the key staffs along with assigning the different responsibilities effectively
- The contingency plan includes that this helps in minimizing the inconvenience of the staffs effectively as well (Griffin 2017)
- Lastly, the operational plan can impact the different areas of the business and this can have dramatic impact on the business as well. The contingency plan will help and assist in reducing the risks that is associated with it and solve it an appropriate manner.
In order to make the operational plan successful in nature, it is essential in get all the parties on board as this helps in investigation of the attributes that has to be achieved on a daily basis. Furthermore, the investigation will help in analysing and investing the ones that cannot be achieved along with inclusion of corrective actions. The parties are required to be included in the operational plan as this requires checking of different resources and support can be gained in such activities as well. Lastly, the operational plan can be successful in nature as the superiors’ gain knowledge on reporting the problems to the superiors (Poncelet et al. 2016).
It is essential to have a sound knowledge and understanding of the budgets and finances in the operational planning as this helps in attracting the different investors along with this provides the ability to set the sales goals and it analyses the different decision-making programs along with operating expenses as well. The sound knowledge and understanding of the budgets is essential in understanding the requirements of the same along with gaining proper knowledge on the open lines of credit effectively. Lastly, the budgeting is essential as to analyse the devastating effect on the small operations effectually and appropriately
The policies and procedures that has to be kept by the organization in place includes:
- Proper safety of the individuals in the organization is necessary in nature as this will assist in ensuring safety of the employees
- Secondly, the disciplinary policy is required to be maintained by the organization as this will assist in dealing with different issues in the workplace
- Furthermore, the procedures of health and safety management is essential as to develop policies that is crucial in the management to reduce discrimination in workplace
- Lastly, the harassments has to be reduced by adhering to health safety of the individuals in workplace.
The processes that are used in the reviewing and monitoring the operational plan includes the different kind of charts and diagrams such as PERT and Gantt Chart. These are the charts that play an essential role in reviewing the process along with analysis of the time in an effectual manner. Furthermore, the importance of regular review and monitoring the process as this helps in gaining insight of the loopholes on a daily basis and solve the issues appropriately. The regular review will assist in analysing the time frame of the activities and understand the quality planning and organising that is necessary.
The different skills that are required to be one of the effective coaches in workplace to manage the poor work performance includes identifying the behaviour of the employees that is causing such distress among the employees. Furthermore, the confrontation of the poor performance is essential in nature in analysing the different strategies that can improve the behaviour of employees towards the tasks that is performed by them. The confrontation should never be done in anger along with proper usage of data with factual kind of information as well. The behaviour has to be improved as this can improve the entire performance of the organization along with the productivity of the organization.
The technology or software that is used in the process of monitoring the effectiveness of the operational plan includes application of the Gantt charts along with PERT diagrams. These tools will help in analysing the time frame and depiction of the sequence of different activities in an appropriate manner. Furthermore, the milestones chart helps in indicating the time frame around which the different activities should reach the specific kind of stages and this assist in identifying the particular kind of tasks as well in an appropriate manner. Lastly, these all activities include dependent and interdependent activities as this assist in solving the issues.
When acquiring and recruiting the services and resources, the organization has to be aware of the intellectual property responsibilities. The noncompliance with the intellectual property requirements results in serious legal kind of consequences and the effort to comply with them is essential while acquiring resources. The non-compliance issues may include:
- Unlawful usage of music or the sound kind of recordings
- Evidence of unlawful access to different computer files
Within the organization, the intellectual property rights are protected by different policies or sources of information as this retains the intellectual property rights of company. There are different companies that have a policy n placing governing management and ownership of the intellectual property.
Alderson, D.L., Brown, G.G. and Carlyle, W.M., 2015. Operational models of infrastructure resilience. Risk Analysis, 35(4), pp.562-586.
Foot, D., 2017. Operational urban models: an introduction. Routledge.
Griffin, D., 2017. Operational Plan for Underground Storage Tank 322 R2U2 (No. LLNL-TR-732747). Lawrence Livermore National Lab.(LLNL), Livermore, CA (United States).
Poncelet, K., Delarue, E., Six, D., Duerinck, J. and D’haeseleer, W., 2016. Impact of the level of temporal and operational detail in energy-system planning models. Applied Energy, 162, pp.631-643.
Shi, F., Zhao, S., Zhou, Z., Wang, P. and Bell, M.G., 2017. Optimizing train operational plan in an urban rail corridor based on the maximum headway function. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 74, pp.51-80.
Soto-Silva, W.E., Nadal-Roig, E., González-Araya, M.C. and Pla-Aragones, L.M., 2016. Operational research models applied to the fresh fruit supply chain. European Journal of Operational Research, 251(2), pp.345-355.