The case study relates to the growth of the Just Dial local search engine from the time of its inception till its present state. Just dial began as a local voice calling option for the different consumers who could call and generate a set of information in regard to a specific company which would be required to be registered with Just dial. Initially Just dial was just accessible by making use of a calling serve and dialing the 7 8`s number of the firm but later on the company began SMS based services in 2006 which was then followed by the launch of their company website in 2007 and the mobile application in the year 2011. All the businesses whether available online or not could easily get listed in the company`s database and then they could connect directly with the consumers (Arora, Bacouel-Jentjens and Edmonds). This service was free of cost for the different consumers and the company`s business model involved paid as well as the unpaid listings. There were two types of paid listings like the Premium listing with Diamond and Platinum services along with the non-premium listings (Sturiale and Scuderi, pg. 290). The different small businesses were provided with specific services and packages based on their requirement.
When Just dial moved from a `local search` to a `search and transact model` it should have seen to it that the following core elements could be leveraged accordingly:
- Feedback mechanism:Feedback forms a critical core element and it is integral that whenever a business is moving to a search and transact model, it needs to ensure that a feedback mechanism is essentially present (Matt, Hess and Benlian, pg. 340).
- Networking:Networking plays a key role in ensuring organizational success as it goes a long way in assisting the different individuals to connect with other people and ensure long term success at large.
- Tagging:The tagging forms the scalable filters which allow perfect structuring.
- Profile: The profile forms the digital identity in order to ensure that it becomes reasonably visible.
- Content: The content refers to the audio, data and content which the businesses want to share at large (Ryan).
The Michael Porters Five forces can be rightfully described as a crucial tool which can be used by the different business to analyze their competitive positioning. The Michael Porters of Just Dial Pvt. Ltd. are as follows:
Bargaining Power of Suppliers-LOW
- This competitive power is considerably low as Just Dial can easily switch between the different suppliers moreover, as there exists a high competition among the suppliers, it puts Just dial in a strong position.
Bargaining power of Customers-HIGH
- As the number of customers are high and there is limited information available for them their power becomes high (Justdial.com).
Intensity of Existing Rivalry MEDIUM
- As the storage costs are low and the industry rate is quite high, the power of the rivalry is medium in nature.
Threat of Substitutes-HIGH
- The threat of similar businesses is high as the company faces threat from a business of a similar model like that of Ezeone
Threat of New entrants- LOW
- As the brand name of Just Dial is big and it faces limited geographical competition, the threat is comparatively low.
The two new strategies as developed by Just Dial named JD Search Plus and JD Shop Online are strategies which are considerably different from their previous business models but it can be stated that these strategies are in line with its work as they have value added features, which tend to ensure that Just Dial is successfully able to connect the businesses to the consumers and thereby ensure that there exists clarity of operations and interactive tools which will then enhance the characteristic features of the organization and hence, as Just Dial already has the base set, it will be successful in the long run.
According to me, Just Dial has a competitive advantage which is the large number of registrations from the time of its inception and moreover, Just Dial has already been able to gain a good brand name for itself. Hence, the first mover strategic advantage works well in the favor of the company at large (Coupey). With respect to the future, it is believed that Just Dial has adapted to all technological means like the online app, website and other mediums like the JD Plus and e-commerce website to ensure a competitive standing. For this reason, it can be stated that its strategy and business model is quite integrated and help the firm in the coming few years of operations (Veit, pg. 50).
If it was in my hands, I would have used Artificial Intelligence and taken out a mechanism which would have connected the businesses directly to the customers.
Just Dial paved its way into the e-commerce domain and stated that its advantage was the use of the inherently local network of consumers as well as the businesses. Given below are the reasons, how the company would be successful in the given aspect:
- It has started the seven hour delivery system which could be possible only when the suppliers are inherently local (Chaffe).
- Moreover, in this manner Just Dial will be successfully able to promote the small businesses which will then uplift the local economy and thereby help the consumers in directly connecting with suppliers and businesses in their own city.
Hence, Just Dial will be able to succeed in this domain at large and will be able to ensure long term competitive advantage.
Arora, Anshu Saxena, Sabine Bacouel-Jentjens, and Jennifer J. Edmonds, eds. Global Business Value Innovations: Building Innovation Capabilities for Business Strategies. Springer, 2018.
Chaffey, Dave. Digital business and e-commerce management. Pearson Education Limited, 2015.
Coupey, Eloise. Digital business: Concepts and strategies. Routledge, 2016.
Justdial.com. Local search, Order Food, Travel, Movies, Online Shopping [online]. Available at: https://www.justdial.com/ ( Retrived on: 25 Oct. 2018).
Matt, Christian, Thomas Hess, and Alexander Benlian. "Digital transformation strategies." Business & Information Systems Engineering 57.5 (2015): 339-343.
Ryan, Damian. Understanding digital marketing: marketing strategies for engaging the digital generation. Kogan Page Publishers, 2016.
Sturiale, Luisa, and Alessandro Scuderi. "The digital economy: new e-business strategies for food Italian system." International Journal of Electronic Marketing and Retailing 7.4 (2016): 287-310.
Veit, Daniel, et al. "Business models." Business & Information Systems Engineering 6.1 (2014): 45-53.