1. Identify and explain the factors that have limited local law enforcement efforts against digital crime.
2. Explain and describe the best practices for collection, preservation, transportation, and storage of electronic evidence.
3. What is the importance of chain of custody as it relates to computer crime?
1. Local law enforcement is affected by self-inflicted just because of the jurisdictional problems. The computer crime in the state, country, and regional enhances. In the local law enforcement the employees do not evaluate the process of a computer crime scene and also do not focus on the computer crimes so that investigation can be done in a correct manner. When local law enforcement does not consider the computer crime then an investigation into the crime will not take place. It is important for the law to consider the cybercriminals in a proper manner (Miquelon-Weismann, 2017).
2. Best practices depend on the procedures of departmental. These procedures focus on the guidelines which are given by the vested investigators and also technical consultants who are engaged in the collection, transportation, and storage of the electronic evidence.
It can be evaluated that first responder will help the forensic investigators with the help of transporting the evidence of the laboratory. At the time of transporting the electronic evidence the first responder's states that the items should be fragile. Chain of custody is also one of the important aspects to maintain a proper integrity at the time of transporting the electronic evidence.
3. Chain of custody is essential for electronic evidence because through this alternation can be made. It is important at the time of investigation because by having a complete chain of custody it can be simple for the opposing attorney and also in the initial step of authenticating the digital audio and video evidence is important. To analyze the chain of custody it is simple to offer information to analyze that evidence is copied or not. Also, the digital media evidence has become the easier way to do editing, modifying and altering. Chain of custody is important in court as it helps to go back if something goes wrong with the evidence in the process of authentication (Prayudi & Sn, 2015).
Miquelon-Weismann, M. F. (2017). The convention on cybercrime: a harmonized implementation of international penal law: what prospects for procedural due process?. In Computer Crime (pp. 171-204). Routledge.
Prayudi, Y., & Sn, A. (2015). Digital chain of custody: State of the art. International Journal of Computer Applications, 114(5).