Discuss about the Quality Assurance and Evaluation Activites.
A software development company has launched a new package of software which includes new taxes for laws and figures. These taxes are applied to both individual and small businesses. The software package has number of bugs and errors. The president of the company is aware of the bugs and errors which are present in the software. The new software has the capability to capture largest market share. The company knows that when the CD will get into the market than they will receive number of complaints and issues related with the new software. The company planned that the later version will include updating and debugging of the error. The user have filled wrong income tax return due to the bugs occurred in the software. The ATO penalised the user for wrong filling of income tax return. In this paper, we will focus on the ethical dilemma, ethical response, consequences in relation with software and customers, the duties of the president, ACS code of professional conduct, and others.
Ethical Dilemma of the Scenario:
The ethical dilemma of the scenario includes focusing on the four key areas. The decision taken by the president of the software development company in relation with the cost spent on upgrading and removing the bugs from the software before launching the software in the market. It provides the quality assurance to the software. “Proper communication should be carried out with the user of the software for informing them about the bugs which occurred in the software” (Jim, 2013). After launching the software in the market with defects, the disclosure of defects should also be done. “If the issues related with the software are not disclosed than it will create the development of ethical and legal issues associated with the software” (Singer, 2014).
Consequences of the software:
The customer can faced problem in using the new software due to the occurrence of the bugs. From security point of view, hackers can get access of the software. “The hackers can extract information related to the personal identity of the individual” (Buhalis, 2014). Loss of confidential information can be a possibility. “The user can filled wrong income tax return due to the bugs occurred in the software” (Oliver, 2013). The ATO will penalise the user for wrong filling of income tax return.
Ethical Response of the president:
The decision should be taken by the president of the software development company in relation with the spending cost on upgrading and removing the bugs from the software before launching the software in the market. The disclosure of the defects should be done after launching the product in the market. He should take step forward to stop the misunderstanding created between customers and ATO so that user should not pay any penalty of money.
Ethical Response of the person:
The caring person should not penalise the customers for wrong filling of the income tax return form. He should take step forward in knowing the reason for wrong filling of form and sent the notice to the company.
The ACS codes of ethics include the following:
- The Priorities given to the public interest: The public interest should be measured in terms of personnel and business. The flow of computing services and information should be maintained. The integrity and security of the information should be preserved. The information should be given respect because of its proprietary nature. Potential conflicts and legal issues should be managed between the clients and the employer. Conflict and objection related with the work practices should be management by acceptance.
- The quality of life can be enhanced: The quality of life can be enhanced by applying the affective working capability. The software company should provide the product and services which are able to satisfy the requirement of the customers. The customer should provide value for money in regards of getting services ad product from the company. The quality standard should be maintained and the launched product should meet the standard. The proprietary interest of clients and employer should be respected. The responsibility of the work should be accepted by the president of the company and its associated team. The president should check the product carefully before launching the software in the market.
- Honesty: Honesty should be represented in terms of skills, Service, knowledge, and products. The president of the firm should not mislead the customers by providing them the software which is full of bugs and error. The skills and knowledge of the employees should not be misinterpreted. The opinion should be unbiased and related to the objective of the organization. The real estimates of the project should be given for controlling the cost and time associated with the project so that quality of the product can be maintained. The credit of the work done of employees should not be taken by the president of the organization.
- Competency and social implication: The stakeholder should be competent and diligent. The health and safety of the employees should be taken into consideration during the working yours of the employees. “The privacy of the people should be respected because it might affect the work practice of the employees” (Teicher, 2013). The treatment and respect given to the employees should be unfair. The perception, ideas, and feeling of the employees should be respected. The staff should be satisfied with the work they had been given the president of the organization. The person should not get influence to take any wrong action which is against the laws of the company.
- Professional development: The techniques should be employed for developing the professional skills of the stakeholder. “The knowledge and skill should be improved by taking training and development program” (Lilani, 2015). The awareness of the computing profession should be increased. The relationship between computing processes and community should be given priority and handed properly. The student, employees, and community members should be encouraged towards their professional development.
- Professionalism: The integrity should be maintained between the ACS code of ethics and stakeholders. The opinions of the other members should be taken to meet the area of competence. “The dishonest and fraud practices should not be undertaken in the society” (Bourda, 2013). The reputation of the company should not be enhanced by harming others. The reputation of the company should be improved by providing high quality features in the software without bugs and error which helps in satisfying the requirement of the customers. Communication is the medium which plays a major role in improving the information processing system. The appropriate action should be taken by the president of the software company against the unethical activity which took place in their organization. The ACS should be followed to solve the situation of ethical dilemma. The action should be bound within the limits of ACS so that no unethical activities take place. The step forward should be taken for protecting and promoting computing professionalism.
Defence on the Ethical Ground:
The launching of the software which carries bugs and errors is the wrong activity which was undertaken by the president of the company. “The customers who are using the software have been penalized by the ATO for wrong filling of the form for tax return” (Kamat, 2013). The ultimate problem is faced by the users who are using the software.
The president of the company can overcome the situation of ethical dilemma by following the ACS code of ethics. The disclosure of the defects should be done after launching the product in the market. He should take step forward to stop the misunderstanding created between customers and ATO so that user should not pay any penalty of money. The president of the software company should give priority to the interest and requirement of the customer. He should be competent and diligent towards the client and employer of the company. The quality of the product should be enhanced by removing its bugs and error. The decision should be taken by the president of the software development company in relation with the spending cost on upgrading and removing the bugs from the software before launching the software in the market.
The situation of ethical dilemma can be resolved by the implementation of six value rule of ACS code of ethics. The ACS code of ethics includes the priorities given to the public interest, the quality of life can be enhanced, honesty, competency and social implication, professional development, and professionalism. In the given scenario, the president of the company can overcome the situation of ethical dilemma by following the ACS code of ethics. The dishonest and fraud practices should not be undertaken in the society. The reputation of the company should be improved by providing high quality features in the software without bugs and error which helps in satisfying the requirement of the customers.
Jim, N. (2013). Ethical issues in Software quality assurance function (1st ed.). Retrieved from https://www.iima.org/CIIMA/9%20CIIMA%202008-8-1%20Nindel%2053-58.pdf
Singer, J. (2014). Ethical issues in empirical studies of software engineering (1st ed.). Retrieved from https://cogprints.org/3299/1/NRC-44912.pdf
Buhalis, P. (2014). Ethical consideration in quality assurance and evaluation activites (1st ed.). Retrieved from https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/publications/attachments/e111_ethical_considerations_in_quality_assurance_140326.pdf
Oliver, K. (2013). Applying the ACS code of ethics (1st ed.). Retrieved from https://ws.acs.org.au/jrpit/abstracts/32_107.pdf
Bourda, F. (2012). Tata Consultancy services: Experience certainity (1st ed.). Retrieved from https://www.tcs.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/White%20Papers/EntSol-Whitepaper-Stakeholder-Management-0713-1.pdf
Lilani, P. (2015). Ethical and Unethical business practice (1st ed.). Retrieved from https://www.slideshare.net/PoojaLilani/ethical-and-unethical-business-practices
Kamat, P. (2010). Research Ethics (1st ed.). Retrieved from https://www3.nd.edu/~pkamat/pdf/ethics.pdf
Teicher, J. (2013). Teaching Cyberethics and Effective Technology Use: Expanded Definitions of Citizenship (1st ed.). Cybermart. Retrieved from https://cybersmart.org/about/news/2002_02/.