1. The engineering discipline that I have chosen is Mechanical Engineering and I have selected Engineering technology management as my major.
I have chosen Mechanical Engineering as my major, as I have always been interested in Mechanical Engineering. Moreover, with Mechanical Engineering, there is huge growth opportunity in my professional career through which I will be able to enhance my knowledge and skill. With the growth of industrial sectors, mechanical engineers will have more areas of professional expertise (Smith 45) and therefore, I will be able to extend my professional knowledge and increase my personal job satisfaction.
2. I want to attend “American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)”.
This is because ASME provides the opportunity of career development with diverse engineering community that includes 130,000 members, corporate executives, academic leaders and several technical communities, which will help me gathering practical knowledge (Viera and Kosheleva 162).
ASEME has ABET accredited engineering courses, one of which is Mechanical Engineering.
The consequences of obtaining degree from non-ABET is quite different from ABET degree because most of the MNCs want certain candidates who are qualified enough with holding ABET degree. ABET courses are more practical and assignment oriented, therefore candidates have very good knowledge of their profession which lacks in non-ABET degree (Feinstein and Shresthat 76). Therefore, it can be said that if a degree is non-ABET approved, then a candidate may miss better opportunities for enhancing their professional career in future. So I have chosen ABET approved degree.
3. ASME has a wide range of student clubs, competitions and organizations surrounded by wide-range of technical communities. More than 130,000 organization members are associated with student clubs in ASME. Professional development and quality programs are carried through competitions (Viera and Kosheleva 162).
The average salary of Mechanical Engineer is below:
- Mechanical Design Engineer: $87,000
- Senior Mechanical Engineer: $94,000
- Plant Engineer: $82,000
- Service Engineer in Electronic field: $45,000
The responsibilities are:
- Evaluation of electromechanical and mechanical system
- System capability and feasibility design
- Manufacturing process design
- Operational equipment maintenance and repair (Woolman and Daboval 107)
Top ranking Universities of Mechanical Engineering disciplines are:
- “Georgia Institute of Technology
- California Institute of Technology
- Purdue University
- Northwestern University
- Princeton University
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- University of California, Los Angeles
- Pennsylvania State University
- Pennsylvania State University” (Smith 45)
4. ASME does not offer graduate school opportunities (Viera and Kosheleva 162).
The specific area that I would like to pursue is Aramco in Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Aramco is the largest oil reserves in the world (Abdelrehim 43) and therefore I would get the best possible knowledge of mechanical engineering, which will enhance my career. I would to work as the junior operation manager and will get the best idea of process engineering.
The University that I choose is American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). I have chosen Mechanical Engineering. This is a graduate course and ASME provides it and the degree is ABET approved (Viera and Kosheleva 162). Therefore, I can say that the University that I have chosen has a graduate program tailored to Mechanical Engineering.
Abdelrehim, Neveen. "Rethinking “Oil Nationalism”: The Case of Anglo Iranian Oil Company (AIOC)." International Journal of Signs and Semiotic Systems (IJSSS) 4.2 (2015): 33-49.
Feinstein, David, Bart Longenecker, and Dina Shresthat. "A Study of Information Systems Programs Accredited by ABET In Relation to IS 2010."Information Systems Education Journal 12.3 (2014): 76.
Viera Jr, Mr Julian, Judith Munter, and Olga Kosheleva. "college readiness for hispanic future teachers: the effectiveness of a cognitive learning computer system in improving mathematical skills." of teacher education(2014): 162.
Smith, Thomas J. "Designing learning environments to promote student learning: Ergonomics in all but name." Work 44.Supplement 1 (2013): 39-60.
Ngware, Moses W., et al. "Quality of teaching mathematics and learning achievement gains: evidence from primary schools in Kenya." Educational Studies in Mathematics 89.1 (2015): 111-131.
Woolman, Janet R., William H. Dees, and Jeanne M. Daboval. "Promoting Productive Public and Private Partnerships." STEWARDS (2015): 107.