1. The most surprising thing about the movie ‘We were children’ is the manner in which the Canadian government’s residential system got involved in physical, mental and sexual atrocities to young children. The scene of Lyna being subjected to hunger, loneliness, racism and abuse at such a young age truly makes me question why should children be subjected to such atrocities at such young age when they needs to be nurtured and cared.
2. The most disturbing scene for me is Glen’s attempt to commit suicide.
3. I think Canadians were aware about the atrocities in Residential school because the Canadian Government formally apologized for these schools in June 2008. The Canadian Residential school system was started way back in the 1850s and since then about 1,50, 000 aboriginal children in Canada were legally forced to attend the residential schools. The main purpose was to integrate the aboriginal population into the Canadian society. All Canadian are now aware of the atrocities and horrendous experience of children in these schools after the government apology and several attempts to retell the story. The movie “We were children” has disclosed the horror acts to the world through the narration and acting of Lyna and Glen. Several reports also covered atrocities in residential schools which depicted violation of child’s self esteem and culture.
4. The experience and education taught in Residential schools affected the student’s self-worth in many ways. This can be understood from the experiences of the character Lyna and Glen in the movie “We were children”. These children were punished for speaking their own language and often locked up in storage room for several days. They were victims of abuse and have witnessed abuse done to other children too at the residential school. Their feeling of self-worth was highly affected as it was seen in the movie that both Lyna and Glen faced lot of difficulty in adjusting to life outside school. They had a feeling that they were not suitable to fit into the white society and it lead may children to attempt suicide to stop their sufferings. All form of abuses, poor sanitation along with overcrowding and threatening has resulted in poor self-esteem in affected children and rise in social dysfunction over the generation.
5. The Residential school system has been called the Canada’s holocaust, still may people are ignorant to what happened at the school. This can be said because despite several reports on negative experience of residential school children, nothing has been done still to improve the experience of these children or the survivors. They now suffer from post-traumatic stress syndrome and have poor social and professional skills. Aboriginal community is still in need f ways to health their wounds caused by substance abuse, violence and crime.
The experience of children at the Canadian residential school depicts racial stereotyping practices in society. They were abused because of their race and origin. People hold on to negative stereotypes because of their social values and attitude towards people. Some engage in this racial stereotype because they were also a part of it. It was also found that children experiencing racism in residential school tend to transmit this across generation depicting their own experience as a factor influencing such acts.
Negative stereotypes can affects a person’s choice after leaving the residential school because they will also adapt the abusive behavior learned from residential school. It will lead to a intergenerational trauma in which effects of racial experience will be passed on to vulnerable children. Due to this racial stereotypes, their cultural values and sense will be affected leading to harmful consequence in the future. They might develop feelings of low self-esteem and sense of worthlessness in life. They struggle to fit in society and develop mistrust towards people.
7. After all the damage done to children in Residential schools, reconciliation can be done by promoting the rights of Aboriginal community throughout Canada. Healing initiative can also be undertaken to counsel affected children and help them overcome different psychological problem. Several such healing initiative has been implemented in Canada to address sexual and physical abuse in affected person.
The national apology of Stephen Harper has not worked because he is not committed to true reconciliation efforts. People still do not get real benefit as residential school survivors face several issues in their life till now. Sustained action is required to make the reconciliation efforts possible.
8. As a nurse, I would deal with such children in a very compassionate manner. In case of people suffering from substance abuse, I would provide them drug treatment and rehabilitation support. I would provide treatment to break their addictions and manage their withdrawal symptoms. I would provide emotional support and physical care to residential school survivors.
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
My Assignment Help. (2018). Sociology: Mental And Sexual Atrocities. Retrieved from https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/sociology-mental-and-sexual-atrocities.
"Sociology: Mental And Sexual Atrocities." My Assignment Help, 2018, https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/sociology-mental-and-sexual-atrocities.
My Assignment Help (2018) Sociology: Mental And Sexual Atrocities [Online]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/sociology-mental-and-sexual-atrocities
[Accessed 26 January 2020].
My Assignment Help. 'Sociology: Mental And Sexual Atrocities' (My Assignment Help, 2018) <https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/sociology-mental-and-sexual-atrocities> accessed 26 January 2020.
My Assignment Help. Sociology: Mental And Sexual Atrocities [Internet]. My Assignment Help. 2018 [cited 26 January 2020]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/sociology-mental-and-sexual-atrocities.
MyAssignmenthelp.com has become preferred online assignment help provider in Australia due to its efficiency and professionalism. Our highly skilled assignment writers work day in and day out to resolve students' doubts 'can I do my assignment perfectly' or 'will I able to write my assignment exactly in a manner that professors want' and provide them needed Assignment Help. Hence, students, who avail our services, get the chance to secure higher grades.
Answer: Introduction: Chronic wound like pressure ulcers and neuropathic ulcers posed unique challenges for wound care professionals. To ensure that uniform policy exists regarding treating acute wounds in all setting, many evidenced based guidelines have been developed. These guidelines have played a role in reducing barriers for wound healing and promoting consistency in the documentation of wound care. Interdisciplinary communication is al...Read More
Answer: Introduction The purpose of this report is to prepare a waste management and recycling plan for the proposed development being undertaken by Owners Corporation at 420 Smith Street, Canadian VIC 3350. This small/medium residential and office complex project is proposed to consist of: Food Retail Cafes Restaurants Club Facilities Residential Apartments The scope of this plan, as per Barnes, & Doidge, (2010), will include r...Read More
Answer: From the overall arguments made regarding legalization of marijuana, it can be concluded that marijuana should be legalized because of its benefit in reducing inappropriate medical prescribing for pain relief. The opioid crisis or the overdose of opioid for pain relief is one of the major public health crisis and Vyas, LeBaron and Gilson (2018) gave the indication that by using cannabis or medical marijuana as an alternative therapy...Read More
Answer: Introduction The author attempts to shade light on the discursive issue of heritage. The author identifies dominant or the authorized discourse which forms the central point of interaction for a range of subaltern and dissenting discourses. The authorized heritage discourse creates specific set of social and cultural practices that contain legacies based on the late modernity context. The heritage discourse establishes who possesses r...Read More
Answer: The table below summarises the optimal cost of purchasing crude oil products for supply to the Fredonia state in the next 20 years Year Country Number of ships Total cost incurred 1 Saudi Arabia 6 USA 5 Australia 1 $481,300,000.00 2 Saudi Arabia ...Read More
Just share your requirements and get customized solutions on time.
Our writers make sure that all orders are submitted, prior to the deadline.
Using reliable plagiarism detection software, Turnitin.com.We only provide customized 100 percent original papers.
Feel free to contact our assignment writing services any time via phone, email or live chat.
Our writers can provide you professional writing assistance on any subject at any level.
Our best price guarantee ensures that the features we offer cannot be matched by any of the competitors.
Get all your documents checked for plagiarism or duplicacy with us.
Get different kinds of essays typed in minutes with clicks.
Calculate your semester grades and cumulative GPa with our GPA Calculator.
Balance any chemical equation in minutes just by entering the formula.
Calculate the number of words and number of pages of all your academic documents.
Our Mission Client Satisfaction
Well structured and timely feedback. I am more than happy with this kind of feedback
Well done, the assignments done professionally , met the professor requires , follow the instructions on my assignment
Is excellent!!!! but This Assignment is not graded yet.I want to say thanks a lot, I went through, I am very happy with the quality.
You are the best, thank you for your dedication and hard work. I appreciate and recognize all you have done.