1.In what ways has Jeff Immelt redirected the strategy of GE?
2.To what extent is the strategy aligned with
a.The requirements of the 21st century business environment?
b.GE’s resources & capabilities?
3.What organisational changes has the new strategy necessitated? Will GE be able to successfully execute the new strategy?
4.What alternative strategies should GE consider?
You will be expected to read the case several times to make sure you understand the context, grasp the detail and then review the key elements using the core strategy models to go through the strategy process, drawing on evidence from the case to support and justify your views.
You should carry out further research on GE, however you must only use material drawn from credible sources such as: academic articles and texts; quality newspaper and business periodicals,The Economist and the official GE website. You should not use unreliable sources such as non-reviewed websites, e.g., Wikipedia.
Knowledge and Understanding
- Identify, critically appraise and select strategies for organisations operating within domestic and international contexts.
- Critically evaluate strategies linked to responding to external environments (fit strategies) and contrast them to strategies linked to core competencies (stretch strategies).
- Recognise, consider and address macro-economic trends in a changing world and their impact on business whilst evaluating competitive, organisational and ethical values.
Subject Specific Skills
- Be able to apply the concepts of strategic planning to current organisations and conduct an environmental and competitor analysis of a given organisation or industry, including within an international or global marketplace.
- Develop appropriate policies and strategies within a changing environment for a variety of organisations, to meet stakeholder interests.
- Develop and demonstrate key communication and time management skills.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and creativity: engage the creative processes in self and others; organise thoughts, analyse, synthesise and critically appraise alternative strategies and choices.