1. TPG Internet Pty was a company engaged in providing internet connections to consumers. The name under which the company decided to give away its internet and phone connections was ADSL2+. Although the price mentioned for services in the advertisement of the company was $29.99 but there were hidden costs. The cost which a consumer had to pay after all the additional costs amounted to be $149.95 (ACCC, 2015). Hence, this was the reason for further proceedings which were taken against TPG.
2. TPG had been misleading consumers by providing internet and phone connections at higher amount than normal. The advertisements were misleading and the company went against the provisions of the Trade Practices Act 1974. The price mentioned for services in the advertisement of the company was $29.99 but there were hidden costs. The cost which a consumer had to pay after all the additional costs amounted to be $149.95. Hence, this was the reason for further proceedings which were taken against TPG (Dennis, 1996).
3. Bundling: It was found out by judge in the case that advertisement misled consumers and there were nothing declared about the additional costs either on TV or radio. Setup fee: Judge realised that set-up charges should be normal and in case of TPG, nothing was made clear by the company. In fact the company didn’t mention anything about the additional set up charges rather it was mentioned that consumer just have to pay one-time for setting up connection. Single price: IN the case, judge found out that there was no one price declared by the company to consumer. The prices kept fluctuating (boosted in every case) which was unfair as per Trade Practices Act 1974.
4. Primary judge and full-court judge had differences in their opinion. Primary judge held company wrong for misleading consumers whereas full-court judge stated that consumers must be careful about every cost when applying for internet and phone connections (Jeffrey, 1994).
5. There were three key reasons as per which high court decided against full court. One, the opinion of the full court about dominant message was wrong. Second, statements used in regard to puxu used in this case were irrelevant. Third, misleading is one of the wrong practices undertaken by TPG.
6. In this case, the opinion of the full court was dependant on the results of the case park dale Custom Built Furniture v Puxu, but the provisions were wrongly misinterpreted. Park dale Custom Built Furniture v Puxu was about a furniture company so court said that consumers must consider brand before buying it. In this case, it can’t be applied as advertisement was misleading and consumers can’t pay attention to minute details.
7. Although high court stated that company is doing wrong since it can’t issue a misleading advertisement but the court also added that consumers must pay diligence to such advertisements. However, high court do realizes that consumers don’t pay much attention to advertisement and don’t go through details minutely (Ellinghaus, 2000).
8. High court also stated that consumers might have an idea about the availability of in bundle with the telephone. But the advertisement of TPG can misled consumers since they might think that there are no extra costs for connection. The price mentioned for services in the advertisement of the company was $29.99 but there were hidden costs. The cost which a consumer had to pay after all the additional costs amounted to be $149.95. Hence, this was the reason for further proceedings which were taken against TPG.
9. The high court said that it is not important that companies post misleading advertisements intentionally (Kercher, 2010). However, the primary aim of the company to post such advertisement is to attract clients and present the services in best way possible. TGP case is similar to this as the company tried to present the services in best way but it misled consumers and they had to pay additional costs.
10. After going through High Court’s judgment of the case ACCC v TPG, I would advise the company to withdraw their advertisements and highlight the best features about their services but also mentioning about the additional costs in the services. By this, consumers won’t be misled and would benefit from the services a lot (Patrick, 2001). In this case, the price mentioned for services in the advertisement of the company was $29.99 but there were hidden costs. The cost which a consumer had to pay after all the additional costs amounted to be $149.95. Hence, this was the reason for further proceedings which were taken against TPG.
Australian Competition and Consumer Commission v TPG Internet Pty Ltd  HCA 54
Campbell v Backoffice Investments Pty Ltd  HCA 25
Trade Practices Commission v Optus Communications Pty Ltd (1996) 64 FCR 326
Parkdale Custom Built Furniture Pty Ltd v Puxu Pty Ltd  HCA 44
Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth)
Trade Practices Act 1974 (Cth)
For years now, MyAssignmenthelp.com is providing affordable essay help to millions of students worldwide. Our essay assistance services have helped us in assisting students with even the toughest essay assignments. We take pride in the fact that we cater the best assistance to search terms like help me with my essay. We offer affordable services in the fastest way possible. For our fast delivering services, students trust us with their urgent essay assignment needs. Two of our most popular essay writing services are maths essay help and English essay help.
You are required to write a researched argument essay that convinces persuades the reader of your position / stance. This is an academic, researched and referenced do...Read More
Executive Summary The purpose of this report is to elaborate the factors which are considered by individuals before selecting an occupation. Choosing an occupati...Read More
Introduction With the increase enhancement in the field of technology, it has been considered essential by the businesses to implement such technology in their b...Read More
Executive Summary In a merger & acquisition, role of an HR has emerged as a very critical function. At each stage of merger and acquisition process, HR plays a s...Read More
Introduction In this competitive business environment where every business organization is trying to attract the customers of each other, it becomes essential for ...Read More