In early 20th century, the concept of human resource came along with Frederick Taylor. It was Taylor who explored the scientific definition of management (Klikauer, n.d.). In order to improve the economic stability in jobs related to manufacturing industry, Taylor highlighted labor as one of the principle input in manufacturing process. Then the research on Human Resource grew from Elton Mayo to Abraham Maslow, Max Webber, Kurt Lewin David Mc-Clelland and Frederick Herzberg(McGuire, Garavan and Dooley, 2012).
Today Human Resource is known as the set of individuals who jointly makes the Organizations workforce of an economy or business sector. Today human resource is considered as Human Capital (Mayo, 2012). Personnel management has been replaced by the term Human Resource Management. Human Resource Management is a coherent and strategic concept introduced to and Organization’s management. Today the Human resource management is considered as the most valued asset of an organization.
The functions of human resource are not a one-shot process. It requires continuous efforts and accomplishment to smoothly achieve the goals of an organization.
The basic objective of this study is to establish that any organization should include its corporate strategy in terms of its human resource landscape. It focuses on what an HR should ensure as the key elements for HR strategy implementation. But more than finding out about what is the key strategy; let’s have a glance at the functions of an HR:
These are the vital functions that a HR manager has to perform. In respect to corporate strategy HR managers have their key role to play. The following discussion proceeds in respect to a Hotel Industry where hospitality sector is wider in concept.
The service of providing accommodation is known as Hospitality, and the sphere where these kinds of activities are done is known as Hospitality industry. The revolution of hospitality started with
The strategic hospitality human resource management is a new context that explores human resource in the unique environment of Hospitality and hotel management (Ccsenet.org, 2015). To implement an effective human resource tool, skilled hospitality managers and managers with high qualification and solid grounding are brought under one roof (Hayes & Niemeyer, 2009). As the global economy is facing instability worldwide, the decision making task has become as fast as possible process.
Proper planning: industries which require a huge amount of interaction with its customers throughout 24 hours and for 365 days has very few chances for further success. For years it has been termed as people staffing, personnel and workforce development and recently human resources. The responsibility remains similar to every staff size. Today the HR management team requires being good communicators to successfully convey their message. They also must possess the quality to work under immense pressure because crisis prevails in every situation. This crisis can be categorized like technical problems, staffing shortage etc.
The HR personnel are often criticized of not comprehending the business goals and its requirements. In hotel industry it is a very important task of HR personnel. The HR has to make sure the overall manpower productivity is a major factor of profitability for the company. The same thing happens in other industries also.
2. Developing effective HR Strategy: In hotel industry, the HR manager plays the role of a consultant and in most situations they had to take part in board meetings. An effective HR strategy helps to monitor progress and team work helps to make the organization abide the law and ultimately results in flawless operation (Tesone, 2010). In manufacturing Industries like NAT STEEL Singapore the HR strategy helps in the productivity level and the continuity of good service.
3. Evaluation of Organizational performance: the HR manager has to keep a record of the progress of the staffs in a Hotel. Like for the cleaning department, each staff has their reporting time, their attendance, working time and number of tasks done. Similarly in a BPO call centers the same thing counts only in case of tasks the number of call attended is evaluated.
4. Effective organizational structure and design: one of the key tools of HR strategy is designing the organization and structuring effectively that helps in keeping a systematic format for the organization. In hotel industry a proper structure sets the climate and so does in other industry. Moreover it makes the employees and staffs more acquainted to the organization.
5. Strategic way of resourcing: the strategic resourcing is about identifying the critical components of an organization. It refers to the function of selecting the right people, attracting them and assessing them. Like a 5 star hotel needs to recruit a qualified receptionist who will be excellent in customer service. In banking sector also this kind of qualities are required from customer service officer. Thus the strategy to be applied here is recruiting the right candidate.
6. Developmental strategy: It works in three level team, group and individual. Developing individuals by training. Ex: training for the store service staff for better service. In insurance company like wall mart they require to train their sales people for effective selling.
7. Reward strategy: also known as compensation and benefit, where the compensation, increment and incentives are decided by the HR manager. In hotel industry extra pay for extra work at night shifts are rewarded.
8. To set the Organization’s culture: the HR department sets the organizational culture that makes goodwill for the organizations atmosphere and sets the climate right. In banking sector good work environment, supportive colleagues and good management leads a good work culture (Smith, Stewart and Haimes, 2012). Thus one of the key tool is Organizational culture.
Service sector covers a mass of services by humans. This requires specific skill to make the service effective. Services are intangible which cannot be corrected once it goes wrong. The Hospitality management is typically dependent to the marketing and service of the organizations. Good service brings loyal customers. Hence it is very much necessary that key tools for strategic management is required in Hospitality management.
Bach, S. and Edwards, M. (2013). Managing human resources. Hoboken, N.J.: Wiley.
Baum, T. (2012). Human resource management in tourism: a small island perspective. Int J Culture Tourism Hosp Res, 6(2), pp.124-132.
Boella, M. and Goss-Turner, S. (2013). Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Industry. Hoboken: Taylor and Francis.
Bohlander, G. and Snell, S. (2004). Managing human resources. Mason, OH: Thomson/South-Western.
Ccsenet.org, (2015). [online] Available at: https://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/ijbm/article/viewFile/8336/8818 [Accessed 17 Feb. 2015].
Definitions.uslegal.com, (2015). Pink-Collar Worker Law & Legal Definition. [online] Available at: https://definitions.uslegal.com/p/pink-collar-worker/ [Accessed 17 Feb. 2015].
Klikauer, T. (n.d.). Seven moralities of human resource management.
Lavelle, J. (2012). Blue collar, theoretically. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland.
Mayo, A. (2012). Human resources or human capital?. Farnham, Surrey: Gower.
McGuire, D., Garavan, T. and Dooley, L. (2012). Fundamentals of human resource development. Los Angeles: SAGE.
Notter, J. and Grant, M. (2011). Humanize. Indianapolis, Ind.: Que.
Smith, A., Stewart, B. and Haimes, G. (2012). Organizational culture and identity. Hauppauge, N.Y.: Nova Science Publishers.
Stead, W. (2014). Sustainable Strategic Management. Hoboken: Taylor and Francis.
Tesone, D. (2010). Principles of management for the hospitality industry. Amsterdam: Elsevier/Butterworth-Heinemann.
Workpermit.com, (2015). Australia experiencing shortage of hospitality and tourism workers - Apply now!. [online] Available at: https://www.workpermit.com/news/2012-02-07/australia/australia-experiencing-shortage-of-hospitality-and-tourism-workers-apply-now.htm [Accessed 17 Feb. 2015].
MyAssignmenthelp.com has become one of the leading assignment help provider in New York City and Boston. We provide top class auditing assignment help. Not only auditing, but we also cover more than 100 subjects and our writers deal with all types of assignments with utmost expertise. To make writing process faster and accurate, we have segmented our assignment experts' teams as per their expertise on writing different types of assignments. We guaranteed that students who buy our assignment online get solutions worth their investment.
You are required to write a researched argument essay that convinces persuades the reader of your position / stance. This is an academic, researched and referenced do...Read More
Executive Summary The purpose of this report is to elaborate the factors which are considered by individuals before selecting an occupation. Choosing an occupati...Read More
Introduction With the increase enhancement in the field of technology, it has been considered essential by the businesses to implement such technology in their b...Read More
Executive Summary In a merger & acquisition, role of an HR has emerged as a very critical function. At each stage of merger and acquisition process, HR plays a s...Read More
Introduction In this competitive business environment where every business organization is trying to attract the customers of each other, it becomes essential for ...Read More