Transactional leadership lays focus over the role of organization of managers and group performance on a whole. It is related to the basic process of management including organizing, controlling, and planning. The core power of this style of leadership is a result of formal authority and responsibility in the company. It is usually management style in which employees follow the order of the leader. The leadership is responsive which motivates the followers by appealing to the attribute of their self interest. The system of rewards and punishments further motivates them for tasks. The essential elements of transactional leadership are procedures, rules and standards. It focuses over performance and maintenance of organizational norms to promote the success. Transactional leaders provides explicit guidance to the followers by giving constructive feedbacks. The leaders respond to the deviations and identify corrective actions to enhance performance.
A transformational leader is defined by a clear vision, marked passion and an ability to recharge and energize the group of followers. Some of the major components of transformational leadership are intellectual stimulation to challenge the status quo and encourage creativity by offering opportunities; individualized consideration involving support and consideration in open lines of communication so that group can share ideas and contribute uniquely; inspirational motivation having a clear vision infused with passion; and idealized influence to serve as a role model including trust and respect for the leader and to internalize his ideals (Avolio, 2008). They aim to empower the group by aligning the goals with individual followers. Transformational leadership showcase high levels of performance and satisfaction in the group. Transformational leadership encourages in the moment feedback, cultivate the executive mentality, present new challenges and opportunities, respect the boundaries, provide flexibility etc. There is emphasis on intrinsic motivation and a positive environment in the group. It raises moral standards of the group by creating an ethnic climate and promoting cooperation appealing to the reason in the group.
Servant leaders have a will to serve the group focusing on the primary well being and growth. The style of leadership shares power and puts the needs of the followers at the prime position. It forms a long term concept to catalyze higher levels of trust and excellent corporate culture. They provide services as fundamental goals for community building and to nurture the spirit of meaningful work. It complements the democratic leadership style with attributes of learning, empathy, awareness, conceptualization, stewardship, commitment, persuasion etc.
Emotional intelligence is the ability to evaluate one’s own and other’s emotions to guide the behavior and thinking. The ability model is to focus on individual ability to process the emotional information and utilize it for social environment. The trait model is symbolic of behavioral dispositions through the metric of self report. The mixed model is combination of both the models. It is defined as the ability to understand, use, manage and identify emotions for positive communication and diffusion of conflicts. The attributes of emotional intelligence are self awareness, self management, social awareness, and relationship management. This factor affects the performance at work, mental and physical health and work relationships.
The report would focus over the leadership style of Larry Page who have inspired the whole world with the company which has a mark on all the computers of the world. Larry Page is CEO of Google Inc. company pioneering in the world of search engines. Larry Page started Google with an open mind to provide best online search engine for the whole world. He is the inventor of PageRank which is well known search ranking algorithm. Earlier he was a computer science professor at Michigan State University. He found Google with Sergey Brin in 1998 to 2001. His earliest management styles included a checklist having principles that no one should delegate or get in the way of other people’s work. He suggested not be a bureaucrat and highlighted that ideas matter more than age.
He led to the acquisition of Android in 2005 for $50 million. In the year of 2011 to 2013, the key goals for Page were to develop greater autonomy for executive that are overseeing the important divisions and to enhance the degree of collaboration and communication among the team. He developed L Team of senior vice presidents reporting directly to him and further formulated policy of zero tolerance for fighting. In 2006, he took over YouTube for about $1.65 billion. In the year 2013, he launched a Calico initiative which is an independent research and development project in biotechnology field.
Larry Page is adorned with features of innovation with an open way of leading. He showcases trends of amalgamation of democratic leader, transformational leader and transactional leader.. He believes in the ideas given by the employees with the help of out of the box and critical thinking. He has adopted strategies for quick decision making having close collaboration with the team mates and encouraging them to present their project in just 60 words (Oke, 2009). He believes in the philosophy that more people and more resources available would enhance the quality of the work. He also believes in planning for a long term with an elongated tenure of planning. He is an excellent coach who inspires his team to express their interest and become result oriented. He promotes an open communication in the office and hence this leads to a healthy environment. He is quite flexible leader with time offs given to the employees to break their monotony, to help them focus better and to enhance the innovation and productivity. His leadership have offered unwavering support for the organizational goals. Based over the foundations of strong leadership and commitment, people with different backgrounds are able to enjoy comfortable working spaces and are cultivating their global rise. Some of his quotes are epitome of greatness and humbleness in leadership like, “We should be building great things that do not exist.” Larry page has a unique value of working with some of the most intelligence and smartest people in the world employed in the company.
The flexibility, openness in communication and an informal behavior with the subordinates is the prime factor which inspires the common mass towards this inspirational leader who is dynamic and enigmatic in his actions that are fueled up with components of creativity.
1. The various problems that engulfed the fame and profits of the resort are introduction of various rules and regulations that are totally incoherent with the previous organizational culture. The change in the style of leadership from participative to autocratic made the employees resistant to change. Lack of training to cut the costs led to further detrimental effects over the organizational values in which employees were unaware of the basic ethics and morals of the industry. Salaries of employees were affected and they were highly disregarded in terms of pay for extra work. Poor living conditions made them against their organizational coherence. There were series of problems associated with incoming of the new manager who did not look into the structure of the organization before the introduction of the drastic changes in the culture.
2. The manager did not comply by the mission of the resort as she sidelined the interests of the employees and treated them as slaves in the resorts by cutting short their benefits and salaries leading to a higher level of dissatisfaction and turnover. Also, the clients were agonized due to poor services which was a result of the changes introduced by the manager. These changes made the employees less interested and less motivated towards their work leading to a poor quality.
3. Some of the valuable recommendations can help the resort to uphold its mission statement and to go hand in hand with the interests of the employees. Cost cutting should not be the only prime objective of the company rather the organization must be people oriented to drive their interest levels and encourage them to work hard for the company. Inspiring the employees is necessary for making them competent. The manager should build trust with the employees with the help of adjustment strategies and then with thorough discussion with the entire staff should introduce changes for cost cutting in a way that would not harm the interests of the employees. She should introduce the changes at a slower pace with flexible approach by disseminating complete information to the employees and making them n active part of the change process. The decision making can be refined by inclusion of every stakeholder. She can revive the changes and redo the erroneous actions for regaining the trust and building upon a strong organization.
1. Avolio, B. J., Bass, B. M., Riggio, R. E., Orr, S. S., Ciulla, J. B., Krishnan, V. R., ... & Riggio, R. E. (2008). Transformational leadership.Asia-Pacific Business Review, 4(1).
2. Oke, A., Munshi, N., & Walumbwa, F. O. (2009). The influence of leadership on innovation processes and activities.Organizational Dynamics, 38(1), 64-72.