This coursework is designed in the form of set questions and design scenario. The tasks are divided into four sections, with section compromising several questions.
As a computer engineer, you have been allocated a job to analyse, configure and assemble 40 machines to one of your company clients, the company requirement simplified in the following points:
- Corel VideoStudio Ultimate X10
- Magix Movie Edit Pro 2016 Premium
You will need to analyse and evaluate different computer components to arrive at the most appropriate computer components by which you will be required to assemble the machine and install them in the client premises.
Your computer specification will have a major impact on the company performance and hence you will need to make sure all the hardware and software are compatible.
Task 1: Understand the function of computer systems
- Explain the impact of computer systems in social and work, evaluating the role of computer system in different environment?
- With the aid of diagrams (if applicable) explain the main computer hardware components including :
- The factor that determines the performance of a computer
- The purpose of some system utilities such as (Virus protection, clean up tools, performance monitor etc.)?
- Compare different types of computer systems and the suitability of usage in different environment?
Task 2: Be able to design computer systems
- Discuss the various stages that you would follow in arriving at final specifications of recommended system. You should include Hardware / Software specification
- Justify and evaluate you selection of Hardware/ Software to meet the requirement of the company?
Task 3: Be able to build and configure computer systems
The company decided to build one of the systems to make sure that the specification you proposed will perform the task required.
- With the aid of (Diagram, Illustration, and Pictures) during the LAB session produce the following task:
- Show the process (in step by step) of assembling a typical computer, including the Health and safety procedures.
- Describe in (step by step Process), how you would install the operating system?
- Produce a test report showing the process you would take to verify the installation.
Task 4: Be able to undertake routine maintenance on computer systems
- The ongoing work required some maintenance, some of which the user should perform. Backup, antivirus updates, defragmentation, clean-up etc, is and essential routines that the user should perform.
- Explain different types of backup and justify your choice of backup strategy for above company?
- Explain the defragmentation tools and how to schedule the defragmentation tools to be executed automatically by the Operating System?
- Discuss what needed to be considered before upgrading any hardware or software of an existing computer system. What critical issues should be addressed before any major updates and/or upgrades in an organisation?