PSBM115CL Strategic Management
This assessment specifically aims to assess your achievement in the following:
• Critical analyse of the organisation’s strategic direction, determining which theoretical models have valid applications in different environmental contexts and making practical use of mainstream strategy concepts to assess the organisation strategic direction.
• Account for and critically evaluate the organisation's strategic decisions within the context of itsexternal and internal environment, using SWOT/TOWS frameworks to support your analysis.
• Synthesise your understanding and knowledge of critical aspects of the organisation's strategy and the strategic process in your Conclusions and Recommendations.
• Demonstrate an ability to independently research, present, analyse and critically evaluate relevant data and appropriate academic literature to support your analysis, conclusions and recommendations.
• Demonstrate effective communications skills to enable a clear presentation of key findings, results and recommendations.
When presenting the frameworks do not simply re-create generic diagrams of the various models and frameworks. Your role is to apply the frameworks. We want you to demonstrate knowledge and understanding through their application.
Use sub headings to delineate the text and write in a narrative style. This enhances readability and allows you to add the necessary evidence to support your perspectives.
Please also remember that a report can be enhanced or damaged through layout, for example placing all tables and drawings in Appendices can hamper the flow of discussion. Use the most nappropriate place to use tables and so on to support your case.
Use tables only where appropriate. Where you do use tables (perhaps to show changes in revenue and profit over a period of time) make sure that there is a clear interpretation of the information within the text. In other words, what are the figures meant to display?
Use diagrams sparingly. Remember that this is to be a professional management report, as such any illustrations must be suitable to present to a board of directors.
This assessment specifically aims to assess your achievement in the following learning outcomes.
Critically analyse situations and determine which different theoretical models have valid applicati on in differing organisational contexts
Through practice have a critically informed understanding of the strategic decisions that are crucial in particular situations.
Synthesise knowledge of other management functions into critical aspects of strategy and the strategic process
Make practical use of the mainstream strategy concepts in simulated/real business situations
Analyse environmental and operational business issues into a set of specific strategic intents
Develop effective communication skills to enable the presentation of key results and recommend appropriate strategic action.