AAASS109-3 Safeguarding Across the Lifespan
Demonstrate the following knowledge and understanding
Identify, evaluate and apply information on safeguarding law, policy and practice for childrenand adults
Demonstrate the following skills and abilities
To critically evaluate current research relating to safeguarding and apply those findings to a case study that you have developed
What am I required to do in this assignment?
Assessment 2 will be a case study essay.
Assignment 2 is a Safeguarding Case-Study Essay. The Case Study will be developed by the student which is designed to evaluate the effectiveness of current policy used to safeguard vulnerable people by drawing on relevant research and applying critical evaluation of that policy (2000 words +/- 10%) .
· Choose a currently used safeguarding policy from the public domain
The Children Act 1989, 2004
· Section 47 Child Protection Law – significant harm
· Section 17 Children in Need - provisions
· Section 20 Children in Care – Accommodation Adoption
· Working Together to Safeguard children 2018
· Common Assessment Framework 2018
The Care Act 2014
· Adult wellbeing Safeguarding Principles
· Care Quality Commission (CQC)
· Safeguarding Adult Board
· statutory guidance six principles of safeguarding:
Mental Capacity Act 2005
· Five Principles
· Diagnostic Acid test
· Principles of ‘best interests’ and ‘least restrictive option
· Multi-Agency Risk Assessment Conference
· Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) Framework
· Information Sharing and Mental Health: Guidance to Support Information Sharing by Mental Health Services (2009)
· Human Rights Act 1998
· Equality Act 2010
· You will develop a brief case study relating to a vulnerable adult or child
You should choose one service user group either on vulnerable adults or children. You need to create a scenario where a ulnerable person or child/children are being harmed or at risk of being harmed.
· You will critically analyse the effectiveness of that policy drawing on relevant research and using the case study you developed to illustrate understanding.
You should choose one legislation, policy or guidance and discuss whether they are beneficial to safeguard the services user.
Evaluate the polices strengths and limitations. Are there any gaps and if so, what should be done, for example does it take into consideration people from different cultures and backgrounds? Is the policy or legislation fit for purpose or does it need updating?
You also need to include and debate other relevant research to evidence your wider reading (such as Evidenced Informed Practice, Categories of Abuse, Theories and Case Review Inquires etc.) to demonstrate that you have knowledge and comprehend the issues that affect services users and how to safeguard them.
· 2000 word limit
· There will be a minimum of ten reference sources (a maximum of 3 can be from relevant internet sources). The rest must be from other sources such as books and Journals.
What do I need to do to pass? (Threshold Expectations from UIF)
In order to pass Assessment 2 you will need to:
Locate a currently used safeguarding policy from the public domain
Develop a brief case study relating to a vulnerable adult or child
Critically analyse the effectiveness of that policy drawing on relevant research and using the case study to illustrate
How do I produce high quality work that merits a good grade?
Use Journals and peer-reviewed literature to inform your work
You must study, read (wider reading) and research the topic in-depth.
You should prepare for each session.
Communicate with Lecturer when you are struggling.
Get and stay organised – Plan use a planner.
Become noteworthy – Be an active listener in class and take good notes in class.
Use the reading list – Read all assignment materials.
Follow good rules of writing – Familiarise yourself with the assignment requirements, proofread your work to ensure it makes sense for the readers.
Ensure correct usage of referencing in the body of your assignment and your reference list using the Harvard Referencing system
How does this assignment relate to what we are doing in scheduled sessions?
This assignment topic is related to the previous and to the rest of the teaching sessions and showcases the knowledge you have acquired of Safeguarding vulnerable people.
How will my assignment be marked?
Your assignment will be marked according to the threshold expectations and the criteria on the following page.
You can use them to evaluate your own work and consider your grade before you submit.