QAB020N502A Understanding Operations
Brief introduction to module
This module aims to offer students a broad introduction to the principles and practices in operations, logistics and supply chain management. The module will include a critical exploration of contemporary issues in the mentioned areas including location and layout, process and capacity design, human resources and job design, the management of the supply chain, inventory and quality in a range of different industrial and service sectors.
Module learning outcomes:
On successful completion of this module you will be able to
1. Knowledge outcome – You will be able to develop your understandings of operations, logistics and SCM in organisations and how these contribute to
2. Intellectual /transferable skills outcome – You will be able to consider a complex scenario related to operations, logistics and SCM and apply quantitative
or qualitative techniques to contribute to its solution.
N.B. Roehampton Business Graduate Mapping Key:
BR1: Being an independent thinker with confidence in own potential & values & the ability to express views sensitively & effectively.
BR2: Being adaptable & have a positive impact on a changing world with ability to apply knowledge & skills required by organisations.
BR3: Being curious & valuing new learning & its application.
§ International Journal of Operations & Production Management
§ IUP Journal of Operations Management
§ Journal of operations management
§ Production and Operations Management (POM)
§ Manufacturing & Service Operations Management: M&SOM
§ Business section of key broad-sheet newspapers
§ Financial Times
§ Management Today
§ People Management
§ Personnel Today
Managing Inventory and Capacity
Objectives · To identify the key principles of inventory management
· To consider the reasons for holding inventory
· To assess inventory’s impact on firm performance
· To understand the importance of capacity planning and control
· To understand the balance between capacity and demand
· To identify alternative methods of responding to demand fluctuations
Week 3: Location & Layout Objectives
· To describe the importance of location strategy
· To identify and explain seven major factors that affect location decisions
· To understand the importance of layout strategy
· To discuss and define some types of layout