BG007 Project Management
1. What can you determine about the corporate culture from the fact that they waited this long to consider the development of an EPM system?
As per case study, I realized that communication flow is from top to down in this organization and most of the manager want that because they are thinking that implementing EPM will affects to lose power, responsibility to handle the department under them. The organization has poor communication of understanding project management methodologies. President need to mention merits of implementing project management methodologies to achieve performance in market. These are two reason I believe so organization has delay in implementing EPM in the system.
2. Can a PMO accelerate the implementation process?
Yes,PMO will accelerate the implementation process by assigning strategic methods to improve business case. PMO makes Project execution process efficient by assigning milestones with acceptance criteria to key stakeholders, here in this cases study, line managers. PMO also implement communication matrix plan that helps to understand the business scope, objective of organization and manage overall required project resources.
3. Is it acceptable for the PMO to report to the chief information officer or to someone else?
In this case study, I believe so PMO needs to report to both CIO and president of organization. To manage the resources, better communication of every phases PMO needs to report to chief information officer. Matrix organization help to implement better EPM inside the organization.
4. Why is it best to have six or fewer life-cycle phases in an EPM system?
The project execution should have six or lesser life cycle phases because every end of phase there will be milestones or deliverable review for that PMO needs to provide documentation. More phases will have more documentation. But here in this case, PMO do not need to focus more on monitor and manage the project.
5. Is it best to design an EPM system around flexible or inflexible elements? Generally, when first developing an EPM system, do companies prefer to use formality or informality in the design?
In this case study, it is best to design EPM system with flexible elements. Usually if organization have similar project objective or project scope or even process is defined then inflexibility can be applied. But in this case study their customer involvement and different requirement then flexibility is required. PMO gets more freedom to take decision project management process to achieve customer demand.
6. Should an EPM system have the capability of capturing best practices?
Yes, in this case study, EPM system will solve the current project execution process issues, hurdles and project management process will be efficient. Enterprise project management will enhance project planning process as providing freedom in change in templates and provide some degree of standardization and consistency.