The task is a 1,500 word (maximum) professional report, referenced appropriately, relating to the contractual issues, remedies and practical solutions which may be available to the project team to avoid delay or disruption due to the operation of a proposed construction site on a working academic campus.
You are the client’s project manager on a project for the University of Portsmouth for the refurbishment of Burnaby Building, including removal and replacement of the cladding and glazing. The final design has been agreed by the client and measurement of quantities are being prepared ready for the tender. For the purposes of this report, you may refer to either JCT WITH QUANTS 2016 or NEC4 OPTION B. In this pre-tender stage the following questions have been asked by the client’s representative:
- The client has asked if there are any specific legal issues which may affect them either before or during the project and if so what are the laws which they have to abide by, how did they come about and why?
- Are there any specific legal issues that come about due to the client’s requirement that this project is managed via BIM?
The client is concerned about the possibility of a fire occurring on the building site, spreading to the adjacent buildings and impacting on the existing users, who will be in occupation during refurbishment of Burnaby building.
- The client is worried about how the site can be made safe while students and staff are using the remainder of the campus.
Analyse and evaluate the implications of these issues and propose suitable advice for the client’s representative for subsequent incorporation in a report to the Board of Governors.
Coursework submission & deadline:
This assignment must be submitted by uploading to the Moodle drop box as a single .pdf file. The COMPLETED mark sheet must be included at the front of your submission. There are many websites which can join .pdf files into a single .pdf, or you can download one of the free pdf management programmes from the web. Corel Fusion and Adobe Acrobat are available on University computers.
Learning outcomes (numbers relate to the Unit Descriptor Learning Outcomes):
- Appraise the mechanisms by which the law relevant to a construction professional is enacted and developed.
- Critically discuss the obligations most commonly imposed by law; those arising from statutory provisions, the contract or resulting from the negligence of the parties.
- Manage and apply contract principles to the regular matters which occur during the life of a project.
You are required to submit your work in a professional report style, so there is unlikely to be a substantial amount of academic referencing although you may need to refer to statute law and contract clauses.
Any academic references you use should be properly cited and referenced in accordance with APA Edition 7.
Assessment of the statutory and contractual principles relating to the scenario given and evaluation of the obligations and solutions to the issues: 30%
Critical consideration of the obligations and issues required to be identified both prior to and within a typical contract in the circumstances described: 30%
Evaluation of the practical aspects of the constraints and desired outcomes and judgement of appropriate solutions: 25%
Presentation: professional report format with appropriate referencing: 15%