Details of the assessment components
Both components of your assignment are based on a case representing an organisational challenge. Imagine that your group of occupational and business psychologists has been approached by a client (an organisation of your choice), who has been experiencing issues with one or more of the following organisational domains: liveware, software, hardware, physical work environment. You have been asked to consult the leaders of the organisation and investigate the problem as well as suggest relevant solutions to it. Your task consists of two components, namely:
1. Group video presentation
This should comprise all the information necessary for your client to make an informed decision of whether to use your services or not, i.e. you have to convince the client that you are the right partner for them. Therefore, you need to elaborate on the following aspects:
Topic Section content Do not forget to …
What is your
Clear and concise account of the problem and its context (e.g. background information on the company or description
of the specific department/team facing the challenge, etc.) Mention the scope of the presentation, i.e. what you are going to cover in the video Why is this issue important?
Explanation of why the problem is significant and what the consequences of not solving it can be Back up your statements with research evidence or
practical examples from other organisations and use a lot of numbers What can the causes for this problem be?
Critical analysis of the case in terms of theories elucidating the causes of such issues in organisations – to achieve this:
- Describe the theories that can explain or the factors that can lead to/ aggravate the outlined challenge
- Critically analyse these factors or theoretical models
- Justify the application of these theories
despite all the criticism Apply different levels of organisational analysis; explore a wide range of factors; provide research support and use graphs, tables or examples to ease understanding How will you explore the issue and why?
Design an organisational investigation, focusing on:
Provide detailed justification of the chosen methodological approach
- What should be explored in order to solve the problem (the factors already analyzed in the previous section)
- How it can be studied (i.e. particular data collection methods and tools with their advantages and disadvantages)
- Why these methods or tools and not others Why should the client choose your company?
Once you have persuaded the client that you know a lot about the issue and how to approach it, you should clarify the following:
- Your successful history and potential as a company (e.g. number of years in the business, expertise of your team, number of cases solved, number/ names/ testimonies of previous clients, etc.)
- Expected timeline of the project, i.e. how much time each of the activities that you propose may take
- Financial offer, i.e. the cost of your services and any special offers (you can base calculations on market research or analysis of your own costs)
Focus not only on winning the client now but also on building a long-term relationship with them Whilst there is no recommended format for this task – you can use MS PowerPoint/ Sway for your presentation or approach the task in a different way, - you have to make sure that the video is no longer than 30 minutes and all the members of your group take part in it.
You can be as creative as you want and also use video editing software (support will be provided by the module leader).
Group business/ technical report
For this component of the assignment you will have to choose one of the investigation methods that you have suggested in the video and actually use it to collect data related to the outlined organisational challenge and reasons for it. Then you have to issue a written report to your client that covers the following sections in exactly the same order: