ACCC5003 Network Operating Systems And Security
Jones Smith Truman Consultants (JSTC) are invited by the Republic of Snowdenia County Council to offer advice on data protection, following a low-level hacking incident. One of Snowdenia’s staff had implemented a three pronged intrusion, based on the Man-in-the-Middle (ARP poisoning) attack, password cracking, and access via an Internet WiFi facility offered for roving staff working at home. Private data was released into the public domain, published via a website for criminals seeking information for various illegal activities.
As the assigned consultant, you are required to produce a report in three parts:
(i) Explain the basic requirements of securing confidentiality, integrity and availability for the Council’s information, and the associated policies and procedures that underpin security-aware operation possible;
(ii) Critique the previous hacking problem, and indicate a means whereby each attack could have been detected and/or prevented;
(iii) Give the basic details of an auditing or testing approach the Council might adopt to demonstrate better compliance with data protection legislation.
Note that the first section will carry 40% of the marks; the other sections will each carry an equal 30%. Use your word count accordingly.
This is an individual assignment, to be submitted through Turnitin.
Don’t forget to reference your sources properly!
Guidance as to Structure
Introduce the purpose of the assignment and outline the overall structure, theory and content.
Use definitions and accurately reference sources in the main body of the report.
Summarise the content presented and synthesise these findings into a concluding statement.
As a result of your critical evaluation, identify recommendations which are appropriate to your findings.
Reference all sources used in assignment with the university’s preferred Numerical Referencing Method
Factors Taken into Consideration in the Assessment Process
1. Research-informed Literature
Extent of research and/or own reading, selection of credible sources, application of appropriate referencing conventions.
2. Knowledge and Understanding of Subject Extent of knowledge and understanding of concepts and underlying principles associated with the discipline.
3. Analysis, evaluation and synthesis; logic, argument and judgement; analytical reflection; organisation of ideas and evidence.
4. Practical Application and Deployment Deployment of methods, materials, tools and techniques; application of concepts; and formulation of innovative and creative solutions to solve problems.
5. Skills for Professional Practice Attributes in professional practice: individual and collaborative working; deployment of appropriate media; and presentation and organisation.