The learning objective for this case study is to apply your knowledge of pathophysiology to a medical condition and ultimately develop a teaching plan for the patient presenting with the diagnosis.
This is an individual assignment where you will choose a topic from one of the four systems, we have discussed this semester (see below). Using evidence-based research, the pathophysiology of the condition followed by a detailed patient teaching plan. Although you have to use one of the following four systems, the conditions presented are just examples. Feel free to develop your case study based on a condition you want to learn more about as long as it is within one of the systems listed.
1) Cardiovascular system: hypertension, atrial fibrillation
2) Pulmonary system: asthma, COPD
3) Immunology: Lymes disease, Lupus, Graves disease, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, diabetes
4) Gastrointestinal: Crohn's disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Celiac disease
1) Pick one of the systems and specifically, one condition within that system.
2) Using reliable resources/evidence based research, and your textbook, explain the pathophysiology of the condition you choose.
3) Develop a teaching plan for the individual newly diagnosed with the condition. Make sure to include:
a) Lifestyle: general health
c) Diet / nutrition
d) Activities / exercise