HLAD 7101 Introduction to Health Care Organizations
For the following case study reflect on previous lectures as related to the progress that the United States government, states, policy makers, and health administrators made over the years regarding disparities and social determinants of health.
There are significant disparities that still exist within certain community groups. In addition, consider the evolving shift of care into the ambulatory setting; while incentivizing providers to reduce emergency room encounters and hospital admissions. Is our current imperfect situation of caring for those in need creating a downturn in health disparities in light of COVID19? The last two lectures focused on the evolution of the US payer approach to achieving value over volume, care coordination, efficiency, and improving the health of populations. With the recent worldwide pandemic there is a drastic rise in COVID19 illnesses and resulting deaths. The deaths are individuals with preexisting conditions and comorbidities. The US healthcare system structure is unprepared to handle this level of surge, which in part is due to our decentralized format of care. Listen/watch the interview with California Senator Kamala Harris on the CNN Don Lemon Show from April 1st.
1. Also, review the data from the Cook County of Public Health. Reflect on her message. Do you agree?
2. Is there evidence that certain demographic groups are impacted worse in the US by COVID19?
3. Are certain communities gaining the necessary access to testing and treatment more than other communities?
4. How will this pandemic impact and/or change our system in the long-term?
5. What is your professional/personal opinion on how we move forward and continue the mission to providing quality care for all?
Your summation should reflect on your deliberations and the member's differing thoughts and opinions.
Please use section headers to organize your material. In addition, source other resources to enhance your knowledge on this epidemic (consider investigating what other countries are doing - if considered a best practice).