Format Guidelines and Assessment Dates
The purpose of the project is to integrate the theories you learn in Bus 265 Retail Management into a comparative analysis of real-world organizations. The project includes a research paper. You are asked to write a comparative report that describes and analyzes the management of two organizations.
Format Guidelines and Assessment Dates:
• Research Paper: Develop a summary analysis of each retailer. Using the concepts and strategies explored in your text, conduct some observations and analysis of two retail operations. Next prepare a comparative analysis of the two retailers. See project summary for more details.Written Research paper due December 4, 2021
Retail Research Paper
• Make your choice of TWO retailers to study and then compare them. The retailers you choose should have something in common but the do not have to be competitors.
• If you choose a chain retailer they MUST operate in Canada
• You may choose an online retailer.
Format Guidelines and Assessment:
Refer to your readings for more insights on each set of questions listed below.
Your research methods may include observation (pictures and notes from visiting the stores) and secondary research review (library, company websites, online articles and reviews).
• State your choice of TWO retailers to study and then compare them. The retailers you choose should have something in common but the do not have to be competitors.
• If using chain or independent store front retailers, they should be retailers operating in the Canada
• You can use omni-channel and Multi channel retailers as well.
Your Research Paper Should Include
Your final paper should be between 4-6 pages. (This does NOT include title page, photos, appendices, charts, or the bibliography).
Submit your papers on blackboard learn.
• Your paper should have a title page: Your name, my name, course title, course number and date
• Construct the paper in accordance with your ENG 160 course or consult a style sheet for A.P.A. referencing and citations. Cite all sources, webpages and blogs, and so on.
• The body of your paper should include the; executive summary, situation analysis, SWOT, marketing objectives and overall strategy. Each of these sections should be not longer than 1 page for a maximum total of 6 -7 pages (not including the title page and references)
Brief Description of the TWO Retail Businesses
• How long have they been in business?
• How has their business changed over the years?
• What is their mission statement?
• Approximately how many employees do they have?
• Current organizational mission
• Current Ownership and management structure
• Current goods and services category
Marketing Objectives: Current positioning and satisfaction of publics. And Identification of Customers
• Mass, Concentrated or Differentiated Marketing
o Does this retailer have a “competitive advantage” over similar stores?
o How can they retain this advantage or achieve an advantage over their competition? (This section should be 2-3 paragraphs minimum -- think about it!)
• Goods and Services Strategy
o Breadth and depth of lines
o Expected and Augmented services
o Credit Cards, loyalty programs, other incentives
o Return policy and customer complaints?
• Merchandise Assortment:
o What are the major brands they carry?
o Do they have private brands?
o Where does this retailer's merchandise fit on the category life cycle?
o Why do you think they chose this stage of the life cycle?
o Does this retailer carry convenience goods, shopping goods or specialty?
• Location Strategy
o Trade Area characteristics
o Access and barriers to access
• Describe features of Store Design: Impression at the entrance, Atmosphere (music, colour), Lighting, Signage
o Merchandise presentation; How does the design influence consumer behaviour? Estimate square footage in each type of design – grid, loop, or boutique Use of promotional aisle or endcaps, Number and type of free-standing fixtures, Shopping space Window/Wall displays, Point of sale (Cash registers)
o Pricing Strategy
o What is this stores pricing policy? (value added, Everyday Low Pricing, High/Low Pricing)
o Promotional Strategy
• What is their brand message or slogan? What type of sales promotions does this retailer use? (Sales, Sampling, Demos, Contests)
o What is the online presence? Social Media: Facebook, Twitter presence
o Does this retailer use corporate or cooperative advertising? With whom?
Conclusions and Executive Summary.
• Summary of the research highlighting one or two key observations about the retail mix and strategy
• Evaluate the sustainability and profitability of the two retailers. If you were the CEO of both which retailer, are you most concerned about.