Students can't be Wrong!
GET BEST GRADE, ORDER NOW
Impact of Ecommerce on Sales in The Retailer Industry
With the advent of internet, retail businesses have started inclining towards ecommerce. The rising consumer demands and increasing competition has made it necessary for the retail business to abolish their brick and mortar stores and build their presence online (Power, 2013). Hence, the concept of e-commerce has risen in the cyber space. There is huge impact of ecommerce on sales in the retail industry (Tkacz, 2009). The dissertation intends to analyse Amazon UK and examine the impact of ecommerce on sales in the retail industry.
The research objectives of the dissertation are as under:
- To examine the impact of ecommerce on sales in the retailer industry with reference to Amazon UK
- To examine the ways adopted by Amazon UK to increase the sales of the etailer
- To provide recommendations to improve the performance of ecommerce website
H0: Ecommerce is one of the widely accepted business medium today.
H1: Amazon is one of the leading portals across world.
In recent times, internet technology has highly evolved. This is the reason that retailers across world are inclining towards launching their brands online (Aldrich, 2012). The current ecommerce market is moving towards a complete revolution and it is expected that in coming years, the ecommerce will grow rapidly create plethora of opportunities for retailers. (Taylor, 2010) states ecommerce refers to the electronic commerce in which selling and buying of goods and services is done over the internet. Ecommerce is operational is four key markets viz B2C, B2B, C2B, C2C where B is Business and C is Customer. Ecommerce is getting popular among people due to its efficiency and facility to get home deliveries. Customers often face trouble visiting traditional brick and mortar stores but shopping online is as easy as one click of mouse (Brown, 2010). Also, ecommerce eliminates the middlemen and offers products at reasonably less prices than in stores.
The portal being examined in this dissertation is Amazon UK. Amazon is an e-commerce company based in USA and engaged in selling of widest range of consumer products across world. The portal was started as an online book store but later, it was expanded to selling complete range of lifestyle products. Amazon has separate retail websites for different countries. Amazon UK is one of the leading ecommerce portals of UK. Amazon operates in
Research methodology is a critical part of a dissertation. By definition, research methodology is the method adopted by the researcher to gather information. The research paradigm used for this dissertation will be anti-positivism i.e. interpretivism (Bogdan, 2005). This type of research theory emphasises that the social reality is considered by individual herself. As per this theory, a single phenomenon usually has many interpretations. The dissertation will adopt qualitative research methodology to gather information due to which the research paradigm will be interpretivism (Bogdan, 2005). The researcher will carry out a survey of 100 consumers in UK to determine their experiences with Amazon UK. Also, this study will be adopting an inductive research approach wherein research questions will be used to narrow down the scope of the study. The research questions to be accomplished through this study are:
- What is the impact of ecommerce on sales in the retailer industry with reference to Amazon UK?
- What are the ways adopted by Amazon UK to increase the sales of the etailer?
- What are the recommendations to improve the performance of ecommerce website?
The sample population selected for this study will include 100 shoppers based in UK including people who fall in the age group 18-45. The sample size is kept small due to unavailability of many resources. As per the survey carried out among 100 consumers, some observations have been recorded in a table.
Type of Experience with Amazon UK
Fig 1: Experiences with Amazon UK
Overall, ecommerce has been adopted as the fastest and efficient medium to sell goods and service to consumers. Amazon UK is one of the largest etailer in UK and across globe. The growth of the ecommerce has helped the organisation to increase their sales considerably. The observations recorded as per the survey carried out among 100 consumers determine that 60% of the consumers had good experience shopping with Amazon UK. The good experience of shopping with Amazon UK is one of the reasons that sales of the portal is growing significantly.
- Power, M. (2013). “Online highs are old as the net: the first e-commerce was a drugs deal.”, The Guardian (London). Accessed on 14th July, 2015.
- Tkacz, E. (2009). “Internet — Technical Development and Applications.”, Springer. p. 255. Accessed on 14th July, 2015
- Palmer, C. (1988). “Using IT for competitive advantage at Thomson Holidays.”, Long range Planning Vol 21 No.6 p26-29, Institute of Strategic Studies Journal, Accessed on 14th July, 2015
- Taylor, P. (2010). "Online shopping: The pensioner who pioneered a home shopping revolution". BBC News. Accessed on 14th July, 2015
- Aldrich, M. (2012). "Finding Mrs Snowball". Accessed on 14th July, 2015
- Brown, G. (2010). "The Electronic Mall". Accessed on 14th July, 2015
- Snider, J.H. (1992). Future Shop: How New Technologies Will Change the Way We Shop and What We Buy. St. Martin's Press. Accessed on 14th July, 2015