Question - How Can Speciation Of Plants Benefit Humans?
We all know that plants are an important part of life, but there are very few people who know that plants can also play an important role in the evolution of human beings.
Plants can differentiate through various types of mutation. It happens when the plants develop new variants of their own that are different from the other species in their category. This process leads to new plant species that are useful for humans in different ways.
Here we will talk about the methods of plant speciation and how it is beneficial for the human beings.
Speciation is the process of forming new species. This happens whenever a group of organisms get isolated from its entire species and start to evolve in different ways.
Over time, the differences in the newly formed species increase so much that the two cannot interbreed and are denoted as two different species.
There are various ways of occurring speciation.
- The first method is through geographical isolation. This occurs whenever any physical barrier, like a mountain or any water body, separates two groups of organisms. This type of isolation prevents both the groups from interbreeding and ultimately forms a new kind of species.
- Another method of speciation occurs through sexual selection. It occurs when some organisms within the groups are sexually more dominating and have more reproductive power than others. It happens due to the difference in physical or behavioural traits.
- Speciation can also occur by means of artificial selection. It occurs whenever human beings do a particular selection. For instance, when a farmer selects to farm only such cows, those have desirable characteristics such as more meat or huge production of milk.
Overall, the development of new and distinct species is one of the reasons that speciation is a crucial process. Due to this, the natural world is more diverse and exciting for people to explore and study.
Benefits of plant speciation to the human race
Speciation of plants improves plant diversity which ultimately leads to the following benefits:
Usage of new medicines
Speciation of new plant species increases the chances of treating various types of disease. There are more than 1300 medicinal plants in various parts of Europe. Out of which 90% of plants are harvested from the wild. Most of the prescribed drugs are made from natural sources.
Promoting tourism and culture
A thriving ecosystem is produced as a result of the fact that plant diversity attracts all types of life. Living things develop their own cultures in a balanced ecosystem, and this can give nations a distinctive identity.
The unusual ecosystems of Australia, which have developed over thousands of years, are what draw thousands of tourists from around the world each year.
Reducing the use of pesticides
According to a study, there are two ways that plant diversity organically regulates plant-eating insects in agriculture.
- The first is that by offering more habitats to lower their chances of being eaten by birds, a botanic garden attracts insect predators like spiders, beetles, and wasps.
- The second is that insects will likely move to other locations when plant variations are grouped together since they are less likely to find their preferred plant species there.
Promoting the diversity of pollinators
The variety of natural pollinators is increased by having a wide variety of plant species. Honeybees are well recognized for their pollination efforts, which involve moving pollen from one plant to another to fertilize it. One of the most crucial pollinators of food crops is honeybees.
Creating a more diverse ecosystem
One of the most crucial benefits is that it contributes to the development of a more diversified and robust ecosystem. Whenever there is an increase in genetic diversity among a species, it increases the chance of better adaptation and survival.
Steps to encourage plant speciation
There are various methods of encouraging plant speciation. Here are a few:
- The first method is to plant various types of plants in the garden. As a result, the habitat will be more varied, allowing the plants to interact and perhaps even develop new species.
- Avoiding excessive disturbance of natural ecosystems is another strategy to promote plant diversification. Nature has a better chance of evolving new and distinctive species when we leave it alone.
There are a few ways that plant speciation can be advantageous to us. One aspect is that it might offer us new food sources. It may also assist in the creation of novel pharmaceuticals. Finally, plant speciation will help to improve the air quality of the surrounding. Hence it is crucial for human beings to promote plan speciation for the survival of our planet and its species.