MOD004061 Contemporary Themes in Healthcare Policy and Practice
The scenario is based on three months post the United Kingdom’s exit from The European Union.
Adult Social Care teams within the CCG’s report that they are unable to staff their rotas due to large numbers of vacancies and limited bank staff being available. The shortage of staff is the result of EU workers returning to their home countries as the cost of living in the UK is rising, and as a consequence of pre-Brexit austerity, wage rises are not keeping pace with inflation.
The inability for managers to cover shifts results in NHS Trusts being unable to discharge patients home. This is also due to care packages not being available to provide the necessary community-based support.
The pressures on bed capacity are resulting in excessively high bed occupancy rates and cancellation of elective surgery and other routine procedures.
The team will present their findings and recommendations during a 20-minute briefing to the CCG.
EACH team member will choose ONE of the following departments to focus their briefing on:
E. Research and Development
EACH team member will answer ALL of the following questions within their briefing: Question one - Explain with two examples the potential short, medium, and long-term impacts for your chosen department.
Question two – Examine and critique options to escalate, include what agencies would be involved in the escalation.
Question three - Make two recommendations relating to your chosen department that the organisations can put in place individually or collectively to help ease the pressure.
Individual presentation should be delivered with professionalism and confidence.
Group presentation should demonstrate cohesion, including one peer feedback form per group member.
Points to consider
• A table or graph should be included to explain the short, medium, and long-term impacts concerning your chosen department.
• You can include one or more stakeholders within your examples.
• Using the NHS England South Escalation Framework (2013), examine and critique two actions that the commissioners, social care, or the local NHS Trust can take concerning your chosen department.
• Consider using a management or leadership theory/model to back up your points or recommendations. You should choose a theory/model from the core textbook, Leadership, and Management in Healthcare by N. Gope and J. Galloway.
• Two recommendations should be presented, focusing on the department you are briefing. The recommendations should be within the control of the organisations within the presentation.
• Confident body language
• Clarity of expression/ audible
• Knowledge of the content delivered confidently
• Visual aids support the presentation rather than dominate it
• In text citation is used intelligently and the presentation slides are not overwhelmed with quotes
• There is coherence and natural progression of slides
• Keeping within the time limit. Deductions may be made for exceeding the allocated time.
• Evidence of group collaboration – The group record sheets must be regularly filled out and handed in to your lecturer during the semester to qualify for these marks.