Are you a non-native English speaker looking to study or work in an English speaking country? Well, if you have tried to get into a college at universities in English speaking countries like the USA, Canada, Australia etc., you might have come across the TOEFL requirement. This sounds like a fancy word; TOEFL test like what is it and how to prepare? If you have questions regarding this exquisite requirement of the native English speaking countries, you have landed at the right place.
What Is TOEFL, And Why Is It Important?
Browsed through several websites and got stuck in TOEFL requirement? Wondering what is TOEFL? Well, it is elaborately known as the "Test Of English As A Foreign Language”. This TOEFL test is a standardised way of measuring the mastery of the English language of the test taker. Universities primarily use the scores of this test as a part of their admission process. Typicallythis is taken by aspiring students or workers who are eyeing to study or find a job abroad.
Every non-native English speaker wonders why TOEFL scores are so important. Most academic institutions and employment companies use this to measure the person's ability to understand and master the English language fluently. Know about English language features. It is a scheme of evaluation designed to put the capability of non-native English speakers to the test. So let us look at the importance of this test:
- TOEFL becomes an inevitable constituent when trying to live your dream of studying in an overseas institution.
- It is a combined endeavour put to use to assess the linguistic proficiency of non-English speakers correctly.
- It has worldwide recognition and is used as a yardstick by schools, colleges and universities in more than 130 countries.
- TOEFL scores are required to certify your level of English in a native English speaking country.
- This test certifies that you are fit to work in English speaking setting without any hindrance or difficulties.
- Having this exam on your CV will give a boost to your resume and duly impress your recruiters.
What Is A Good TOEFL Score?
If you are preparing for a TOEFL exam, you will probably wonder what a good TOEFL score is. Well, a good score depends on several factors as there are many fundamentals of a TOEFL exam. Moreover, different schools, colleges and universities have additional requirements for their application process. Therefore, it is only natural that you want to do your best when striving to get into your dream institution or land your dream job.
As per ETS, the makers of TOEFL, there are several components on which the score is marked. However, the four main categories that are observed are reading, writing, listening and speaking. Therefore if you are racking your brains over what is considered a good TOEFL score, here is the structure to consider.
High Score- 22 to 30
Intermediate Score- 15 to 21
Low Score- 0 to 14
High Score- 24 to 30
Intermediate Score- 17 to 23
Low Score- 1 to 16
High Score- 22 to 30
Intermediate Score- 14 to 21
Low Score- 0 to 13
High Score- 26 to 30
Fair Score- 18 to 25
Limited Score- 10 to 17
Weak Score- 0 to 9
Naturally, if you seek admission to an elite college, you must aim for high scores in all these components.
Wondering Who Can Write TOEFL Exam?
TOEFL exam is gaining much popularity and is recognised by 10,000 institutions across 130 countries. It is essential for all those whose first language is not English, and they are trying to pursue studies or build a career in an English speaking country. TOEFL is open to all; however, if you wonder who can take it, here is the complete guide to the TOEFL test eligibility.
- You need to pass your higher secondary (10+2) from a recognised board or university to be able to take the exam.
- You need to hold a valid passport to be able to prove your identity during the exam.
- If you are a high school student, you can take this exam to measure your English proficiency so that you can pursue higher studies or work in an English speaking country.
- ETS has not set any age limit, so you can take this test as many times as you want throughout your lifetime.
- Other than students, professionals can also take this exam to get a work visa for English speaking countries.
How many years is TOEFL valid?
While mastering your TOEFL preparation, it is essential to remember that a TOEFL score is only valid for 2 years. After 2 years, the score will be considered invalid, and you will require retaking the test as per your requirements. In addition, the validity of the scorecard is not counted from the day you receive your grades but from the day you have appeared for the exam.
A TOEFL score is available for download within 6 to 7 business days after taking the exam. This test is conducted 50 times a year. So you can take this test numerous times. For example, if you cannot qualify for the cut of your desired university's score, you can retake the test.
As per the changes in the guidelines in August 2019, a candidate can take retake a test after 7 days. Previously they needed to wait for 12 days. However, ETS charges separately for each retake.
How To Prepare For TOEFL?
Taking a TOEFL exam can be a stressful experience, especially when you are not familiar with the TOEFL study materials. There can be numerous reasons that can act as a hindrance to getting those picture-perfect scores. Like, you have not prepared well enough, the exam room is noisy, or you did not sleep enough and feel fatigued. Well, there is nothing much that we can do about these inevitable situations.
But here are some tips if you are wondering how to prepare for TOEFL:
During the exam, you can listen to the audio clips only once. After that, you either need to speak or write about the topics you just heard. In such cases, you need to be an excellent note-taker to ensure that you did not miss any information or details and can answer all the questions correctly.
This can be an excellent way to get the feel of the real-life environment. You will also get familiar with the questions, your pace and can track your progress.
You never know what topics are going to come for the test. In such cases, it is best to prepare yourself with every topic of various genres. Reading will also increase your vocabulary and enhance your comprehension skills.
English speakers have their natural pace while speaking. So listening to podcasts will turn you into an active listener, and you can follow everything that is played in the audio clips. Moreover, listening will also enhance your speaking schools.
If you are slow with the keyboard, you are less likely to write your essay on time. Therefore while preparing, make sure to type everything on your system to gradually increase your typing speed and make the most of your test-taking time.
Best TOEFL Essay Topics To Prepare For The TOEFL Exam
While students get dreaded sweeps whenever they encounter a TOEFL essay topic, the writing section can make the candidate run for the woods. However, shed all your nervousness as we bring you 5 TOEFL writing sample topics to help you prepare better.
- Human activities are making the Earth the worst place to live in. Do you agree or disagree with the statement?
- Do you prefer to travel solo or with a companion? Explain your reasons with specific examples.
- Is it essential to improve your knowledge and skills as much as possible?
- Do you prefer to learn from individuals who are having considerable expertise in a particular field?
- Advertisements on television should not be directed towards young children? Explain your take on this.
Still, Wondering What Is TOEFL Exam? We Are Here To Help
MyAssignmnethelp.com is helping students worldwide who want to take the TOEFL test for over 10 years now. We have a team of dedicated experts who guide students with TOEFL speaking and reading topics. Here is why they place their trust in us:
- 5000+ PhD qualified experts.
- 24x7 assistance for all TOEFL topics and concepts.
- Free samples for TOEFL essays.
- Scholarly experts to guide through all structures and formats.
- Lucrative offers and discounts to get the best deals.
Just call us or drop an email at any point of the day to get the best assistance on all your TOEFL test queries.