Purpose And Perspective
The purpose of this assignment is to apply some of the important principles and concepts learned in this course to a real life business situation. In a team of 5 students, you will act as a Training & Development Consultant for Lambton College.
At the completion of your project, you will submit a comprehensive program that addresses the training and development issue. You will complete and submit a needs analysis, develop a training strategy including a lesson plan, and deliver a training module that addresses a training and development issue. This project will allow you to develop a product that includes all three aspects of the Instructional Systems Design Model of Training and Development.
Part a – Team Charter & Needs Analysis
Each group must complete one copy of the team charter and submit it to the appropriate dropbox prior to the due date. Failure to do so will result in a 10% penalty on the designated needs analysis team grade.
As a Consultant group, you will develop a needs analysis for your assigned topic from Chapter 12 (Pages 385 – 398). Topics will be awarded on a first come, first served basis. Only one group can present on each of the following topics:
1. Health and safety training
2. Sexual and racial harassment training
3. Ethics training
4. Diversity training
5. Cross cultural training
6. Health and wellness training
7. Mental health training
8. Customer service training
9. Team training
Your needs analysis report should clearly include the following sections:
- Training topic: Scope of training and importance of training on this topic.
- Organizational Analysis: Analysis of Lambton College’s strategy, environment and resources.
- Task Analysis: Overview of duties, tasks, and activities involved and the knowledge, skills and abilities (KSA’s) required to perform the tasks as a Lambton College employee. Think broadly as this training could be utilized for all employees.
- Person Analysis: Determine whether performance meets work standards. Assume performance is adequate but training is required because of a change in environmental landscape & standards. Be sure to define the work standard / desired performance for your training topic.
- Needs Analysis Outcomes: Discuss how training and development will be addressed and define clear training objectives.
This is a written report which should consist of 3-5 pages. Be sure to utilize the content covered in class in Chapter 3.
Please use your own words and include a references page. One hard copy must be submitted in class. Also, an electronic copy must be submitted to the dropbox on D2L.
Part b – Training & Development Plan
As a Consultant group, you will develop a realistic training and development strategy & plan for your assigned topic on your identified needs analysis.
This report be 5-10 pages in length, including all lesson materials, assessments and evaluations. Be sure to use the material covered in class to date.
Your training & development plan should clearly include the following sections:
- Training objectives: linked back to Part A
- Training content
- Training methods & rationale
- Training delivery & rationale
Please use your own words and include a references page. One hard copy must be submitted in class. Also, one electronic copy must be submitted to the dropbox on D2L.
Part c – Presentation Of Training Program
Acting as Training and Development Consultants, each team will implement & present their training program for their topic in class. Assume your audience is a team of Lambton College employees.
Each team member must have equal participation, including orally presenting (speaking), during the presentation. Students who do not speak will receive a mark of 0 on Part C.
Be sure to use your own words and include a references page. One hard copy must be submitted in class. Also, one electronic copy must be submitted to the dropbox on D2L.
Part d – Evaluation:
Peer and Personal Assessments are due immediately after the presentation (same day by midnight). These must be submitted to the appropriate dropbox on D2L.
Each team member is required to assess their own level of engagement, participation and learning experience as well as that of each team member.
Failure to submit the peer and personal evaluations by the assigned due date will result in a 10% individual penalty on Part C of the term project.
The overall term project is worth 30% of your final grade. A specific breakdown is as follows:
• Part A - Team Charter & Needs Analysis (10 % of final grade)
• Part B - Training & Development Plan (12 % of final grade)
• Part C & D: Presentation & Evaluation (8 % of final grade)
• Except with prior approval and in exceptional circumstances, late submissions will be awarded a mark of “0”
• Each part of your project MUST contain a minimum of 3 pages of written material (not including your title page), and a maximum of 5 pages of TYPED material, single spaced, plus any applicable charts, labels, or graphics.
• Any requested hardcopies of the assignment must be stapled.
• Your Title Page – Must Include Your Topic, Student Full Names And Student Numbers
• Please use APA formatting including Bibliography/Work Cited page for all components of the assignment