1. Demonstrate knowledge of a range of frameworks of strategy and creativity appropriate for the evaluation of complex situations in organisations
2. Use appropriate methods to analyse an organisation and its context in order to generate coherent, innovative strategic options and choice
What am I required to do in this assignment?
This assignment builds on the analysis undertaken for the company in assignment 1.
You should use the analysis from assignment 1 in order to produce a report that identifies strategic options that are available to the company and recommends and justifies one of these options as the preferred choice of strategic direction.
Your report on the company should use appropriate frameworks to develop at least two strategic options for the company. The options should consider the potential strategic directions for the company and include recommendations about which markets and product categories it could potentially focus on. Based on your analysis you must recommend which strategic option the company should take and explain why this is the preferred option.
Assignment submission is individual
· Where hard data is not available the use of assumptions with the inclusion of supporting rationale is permissible
· You must include appropriate appendices that support your analysis
· You must NOT contact the company directly in any shape or form as part of this assignment
Where hard data is not available the use of assumptions with the inclusion of supporting rationale is permissible
This assignment assesses your ability to critically analyse the operating environment of a small company and identify future strategic options that it may take. This task assesses your ability to critically evaluate the usefulness and relevance of a company’s strategic objectives and capabilities in the light of industry developments. Being able to use appropriate analysis to understand the key challenges and make decisions relating to strategy is one of the key skills of strategic thinking.
What do I need to do to pass? (Threshold Expectations from UIF)
· Deliver a report that includes a detailed analysis
· Analysis requires you to demonstrate an understanding of how key trends and developments are likely to affect the industry segment and the company’s current strategy
· Develop and support your analysis by ideas and techniques drawn from academic theory and up to date research
· Ensure your arguments are backed up by evidence
How do I produce high quality work that merits a good grade?
We will be filling this section in together in class onmake sure you have downloaded/printed out the Assignment Brief and bring it to the session with you.
How does assignment relate to what we are doing in scheduled sessions?
Key concepts and frameworks needed to support this assignment will be covered as part of the unit teaching schedule
How will my assignment be marked?
Your assignment will be marked according to the threshold expectations and the criteria on the following page.
You can use them to evaluate your own work and consider your grade before you submit.
Tools and frameworks are used and the selection is related to the appropriate purpose. The effectiveness of the use of tools and frameworks is reasonable and some insight is gained from their use.
Tools and frameworks are used and the selection is related to the appropriate purpose. The effectiveness of the use of tools is good. Attempts are made to link tools and frameworks and this reveals some depth in analysis.