On completion of this unit you should be able to:
Analyse people resourcing and development strategies and practices with appreciation of individual differences, organisational, legal and external contexts.
Undertake core people resourcing and development activities such as talent planning; recruitment and selection; ending employment; learning needs analysis, development plans and learning evaluation.
Based on the case study provided, please write a report on the resourcing and development issues in the biscuit manufacturing industry in the UK. Your report should be based on an analysis of the resourcing and development practices and strategies used by biscuit manufacturing companies in the UK compared to those in continental Europe (Germany and France and The Netherlands). The report should also provide practical recommendations to improve the productivity level in UK biscuit manufacturing companies.
- What are people resourcing and development strategies used in biscuit manufacturing companies in the UK compared to those of continental Europe?
- Considering the external context of post Brexit, what are the key changes likely to impact the people resourcing and development practices for biscuit manufacturing companies in the UK?
- What people resourcing and development activities can UK biscuit manufacturing companies use to increase their competitiveness in the post-Brexit marketplace?
What do I need to do to pass? (Threshold Expectations from UIF)
- Examine people resourcing strategies and practices, integrating information to inform choices as to which are most appropriate to specific organisational and external conditions.
- Examine learning and development strategies, processes and practices, integrating information to inform choices as to which are most appropriate to specific individual, organisational and external conditions.
To achieve a good grade in this assignment, you need to consider the following.
Avoid excessive description and provide a critical analysis of the case study.
Your assignment should be succinct, relevant and well-structured.
Your assignment has more than one part to it so make sure you answer all the parts comprehensively.
Do not only rely on lecture notes for your assignments - go back to original sources. Evidence of wide reading will gain better marks.
How does this assignment relate to what we are doing in scheduled sessions?
This assignment will give you an opportunity to review and critique academic research and organisational practice and examine the way people resourcing and development is used in different national contexts. It will also help you to better understand the relationship between people resourcing and development and organisational performance.
As this assignment also requires you to develop solutions to challenges identified, you will be able to practice weighing up alternative solutions to scenario problems based on your understanding of theory and practice, and make suggestions accordingly. This will help you to develop both your critical thinking and problem-solving skills.