Assignment A Tasks to be undertaken:
This assignment is intended to support your initial research design and thesis planning through a critical review of at least three key papers relevant to a research topic of your choice.
You should use automated referencing and headings styles in your document. You will be graded on the following elements within the assignment;
· An introduction to the assignment and an introduction to the research topic you have chosen
· A critical review using a minimum of 3 key papers relevant to your research topic
· A conclusion relating to the context introduced in this assignment and the critical analysis undertaken
70% - 100% Excellent work which demonstrates that the “Distinction Level” student:
• Possesses an authoritative grasp of the conceptual context within which the work was undertaken
• Is able to display originality, insight and powers of indepth critical analysis in the solution offered and/or is able to sustain an argument displaying originality, insight into current debates and conceptual positions, in- depth critical analysis, and is capable of expressing this argument clearly, concisely and accurately
• Possesses a high degree of relevant technical competence 60% - 69% A clear grasp of an appropriate methodology suitably “Merit Level” focused on the topic/problem. A good level of understanding, organisation and relevant technical ability. An ability to synthesise material and to construct responses which reveal good skills of critical analysis and insight.
A coherent response to the task undertaken demonstrating “Pass level” a sound grasp of appropriate methodology. Work will be accurate and appropriately organised with clear evidence of skills of critical analysis.
The grasp of material and methodology is such as to “Marginal pass enable a basic response to the task undertaken. level” Work will generally be accurate and appropriately organised with some evidence of critical analysis.
The work demonstrates some understanding of the “Marginal fail” topic/problem but overall the achievement in terms of understanding, technical accuracy, organisation and critical analysis does not justify a pass mark.
Student’s performance is deficient in most respects, “Fail” revealing inadequate grasp of the material, poor organisational and technical ability and poorly developed communication skills. No evidence of critical analysis. A clear fail.
When completed you are required to submit your coursework to:
All completed coursework must be sent to the module leader electronically using the Blackboard VLE ‘send assignment’ facility. To access this, see the ‘send assignment’ button to the left of the screen when viewing this module.
Work submitted by other means will not be accepted.
Late submission of coursework policy: Late submissions will be processed in accordance with current University regulations which state:
“The time period during which a student may submit a piece of work late without authorisation and have the work capped at 50% if passed is 14 calendar days. Work submitted unauthorised more than 14 calendar days after the original submission date will receive a mark of 0%. These regulations apply to a student’s first attempt at coursework.
Work submitted late without authorisation which constitutes reassessment of a previously failed piece of coursework will always receive a mark of 0%.”
Academic Offences and Bad Academic Practices:
These include plagiarism, cheating, collusion, copying work and reuse of your own work, poor referencing or the passing off of somebody else's ideas as your own. If you are in any doubt about what constitutes an academic offence or bad academic practice you must check with your tutor