ENGT5219 Engineering Business Environment
Write a management report recommending one or more disruptive innovations (a product or a service) to address threats to your business from climate change.
• Who will be the early adopters of the innovation?
• How will the innovation lead to a reduction in GHG emissions? Expectations of a good assignment:
• Use of academic English language.
• If you are not confident in this, then please contact [email protected] for support
• Evidence of critical reading and thinking
• If you are not sure what is required,
• Proper and appropriate use of references
Do library research – this means actually reading academic papers
No theoretical discussions about climate change or innovation
Evidence critical thinking and writing
• Read the marking rubric:
• Introduction to the report
• Descriptions of threats to business from climate change and policy frameworks
• Summary of three types of innovation
• Description of disruptive innovations to address threats to business
• Clarity of writing, references and report structure
• Brief synopsis of the paper – an overview of what will be covered including the type of business selected and the disruptive innovation to be introduced and discussed
• Brief sign posting to the structure of the paper
• Keep this down to around 100 words. Section 2: Threats
• What are the threats from climate change to the selected business?
• How – practically – does climate change threaten the business?
• What policy and regulatory frameworks pose threats to the business and again, how?
• Any images (which must be properly referenced and appropriate) are to be put into the Appendix.
• Keep to this to around 400 words Section 3: Innovation
• Briefly review innovation theory with specific reference to three types of innovation
Game changing innovation
• The reviews should identify clearly what each type means and give an example of it in practice.
• Keep this section down to about 600 words – 200 for each type Section 4: Business case
• This is the heart of the assignment
• Address the two key questions:
Who will be the early adopters of the business’ innovative products/ services?
How will the business innovation contribute to a reduction in GHG emissions?
• Be sure to state what type of innovation you are recommending and why
• Specify clearly how you anticipate this innovation will help address the threats of climate change and policy regulations
• I don’t expect calculations or estimates of reductions Business case (part 2):
• I do expect to see a clear logical path linking the innovation to anticipated reductions in GHG – it should be reasonable and realistic
• I do expect to see evidence of critical thinking and writing.
• This is a management report – so it is important that you make a business case to support your recommendations. This means clearly stated and logical arguments in favour of the innovation.
• Be sure to identify any uncertainties and risks and potential mitigation strategies for dealing with these.
• Use about 1,100 words for this part Section 5:
• Here, you review the foregoing content of your report in a summary format
• This should emphasise Section 4 The Business Case more than the innovation theory
• This should be around 300 words Section 6: References
• Properly formatted references please.
• Learn how to reference websites, journal articles, and books
• Any reference included in your list that is either not cited in the text or is irrelevant will be considered poor academic behaviour and may cost you marks
• I do check references to make sure that they are appropriate
• Websites must be referenced with a complete URL and also the date it was accessed.