7ENT1137 Integrated Product Engineering
This Assignment assesses the following module Learning Outcomes (from Definitive Module Document):
To enable the students to:
1. Explore product development in a business context in terms of the product specifications, standards, life cycle assessment and functions of manufacturing industry;
3. Reflect the need for high ethical conduct in the context of product development;
4. Analyse competitive forces influencing product and business decisions;
6. Evaluate alternative product strategies individually and/or in a group.
In this module, you have studied the Quality Function Deployment (QFD) methodology and the associated House of Quality method that is used to help transform customer inputs/voice into engineering characteristics for a product.
For this assignment, you are required to apply the House of Quality method and critically discuss the outputs that you would expect from a QFD evaluation.
Due to some reported issues regarding stress, failure, time, among other challenges facing some already existing or traditional products in the United Kingdom, especially during coronavirus disease in 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, many engineering companies are interested in developing the following improved products A-E (Table 1). These innovative and revolutionary products are new to the market.
They are small flying robot or unmanned aerial vehicles specially designed to deliver emergency medical services and supply delivery, especially to the COVID-19 patients within a short distance with high speed. These include, but are not limited to, delivery of defibrillator, airborne medical kit and portable ventilator to both urban and rural areas. They= can also be used to complement existing services of fire and police departments.
Specifically, you are required to give a technical presentation introducing the ONLY ASSIGNED new product, using QFD. Research and use the following six basic steps recommended for building the House of Quality:
(a) identify what customer wants (state up to 10 possible customer needs for assigned product ONLY,
(b) identify how the product will satisfy the customer,
(c) identify relationships between ‘how’s’,
(d) develop importance ratings,
(e) evaluate competing products or services, and
(f) determine the desirable technical attributes.
The following are some important considerations for this assignment.
1. You cannot change Group/Product ID, because the allocation process is completed.
2. Your individual power-point presentation must be limited to a maximum of ten (10) minutes duration and a maximum of ten (10) slides, excluding Title Page, List of References and Appendix Slides. Presentations shorter than the allowable duration and slides will NOT lose marks, but may lead to th omission of important material or information. Any presentation over the specified maximum duration of 10 minutes and 10 slides will be stopped at 10 minutes and 10th slides, respectively and the rest of the slides/presentation will be ignored, not marked. Also, materials in appendix will NOT count for marks and they should not exceed 2 slides in length.
3. Note that you are required to only complete aforementioned tasks (a)-(f). There is NO requirement for producing/manufacturing a prototype.
4. Note that as a part of the presentation, you need to come-up with a title for the case study and it should appropriately capture your product engineering task. The title should simply draw attention of the reader/listener to your work. It should clearly represent the work presented.
5. Ensure that your power-point presentation is well-structured.
6. Take advantage of adding voice-over to your presentation, by ensuring that the key points are clearly discussed and the presentation captures the audience’s attention.
7. You are expected to provide a significant range of secondary sources obtained from relevant literature
which can be supplemented by reasonable synthetic data to underpin your work. These should be cited and referenced according to the Harvard Referencing Style. Present the list of references at the end of the presentation and ensure that the references are cited at relevant and appropriate places during the presentation. Note that mark is allocated for referencing in this assignment, and the mark is influenced School of Physics, Engineering and Computer Science by the thoroughness and integrity of the work, as evidenced by your referencing. Marks are awarded not only for correct referencing practice, but also the extent to which the arguments have been supported by cited sources.
8. Clearly state all your assumptions and all slides should be serially numbered.
9. Grammar, spelling and style, as well as clarity, contribute towards assessment of the submission. Use British Spelling i.e. ‘English (UK) Language’. Adopt good presentation skills. See for example:
10. Ensure that you focus on the requirements of the Assignment Brief. Be clear about the marking scheme stated in the ‘Marks out of 100% awarded for’ section below.
Each student will be required to submit the following items:
i. A power-point presentation with voice-over ONLY. This will require you to add voice over your PowerPoint slides of the Case Study.
ii. Your power-point presentation with voice-over should be submitted via the assignment platform on the module site. Use the following filename [Product ID]-7ENT1137-Presentation-2020-21.
iii. Please kindly ensure that the placeholder [Product ID]: A, B, …. or E is the same with your assigned Group ID for the Case Study Task on Canvas/StudyNet or Module Site. For example, Group ID = Product ID and if you are assigned Group A, it means your product is A, then the name of your file should be A-7ENT1137-Presentation-2020-21 and include an appropriate file extension. Kindly ensure that you properly test your power-point presentation prior to submitting it, please!
iv. Only ONE file containing your power-point presentation with voice-over should be submitted per student. It is your individual responsibility to ensure that your submission is made by the stipulated deadline.
v. Please, submit individually, because this is NOT a group assignment. Therefore, Group/Team work will NOT be marked. Also, the assignment will be marked anonymously, therefore please do NOT include any personal identifier.